27-man roster for June matches

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, May 20, 2022.

1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    While I'd like to believe he would have sky rocketed to the top of the Forward options chart, the evidence is sketchy at best. He didn't get a lot of minutes with the 1st team at all pre-Gold Cup of B/C and lesser teamers, he seemed to be behind multiple guys who have since fallen off the chart entirely. If there's any evidence that he could have jumped to the front it's whats happened to the guys who were in front of him a year ago. If he had stayed healthy it's hard to imagine he wouldn't have gotten chances at least when Pepi's play fell off during the winter. That's the hope to me. The lack of call ups in the fall, combined with the 3rd or 4th position in the pecking order last spring and early summer always made me think Berhalter just didn't rate him as a good fit for his system, but even w/that knowledge in tow, eventually he was rolling out guys like Pefok and Ferreira by winter, so it's definitely a shame that the timing of his injuries was the worst imaginable to make in roads into a potential starting or at least roster role.

Bajoro, nobody and gogorath repped this.
  2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    This is an example of a perfectly plausible fill-in narrative that may or may not be true. We can debate the ability of other, more talented players to be good complements to the core talent. We have done so ad nauseum. I am not interested in repeating all that. I am only interested in challenging attempts to define other narratives as implausible. Roldan May or may not be a net team positive compared to an alternative in his spot. I doubt he is, especially because he could be on the sideline regardless. But I don’t claim to know definitively, or that he necessarily is not.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all guess work. All coaches tell you what they feel like imparting. We don't see actual practices and don't know what instructions are and if a new player is doing well or bombing. We can read the tea leaves but that's all it is.

tomásbernal and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  4. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Again, "coach knows best" stands in contrast to some of Gregg's coaching record. And some coaches "impart" more frankly and plausibly than others. But you're right, we don't know.

5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
  6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My basic feeling is that every coach will pick 90% the same best players but the margins of the NT will be very different depending on the coach. That's absolutely normal and there is no established method of picking those guys. I have absolutely no idea why we are arguing so much about Roldan and not who the starting CBs or 9 will be.

Zinkoff, ifsteve, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  7. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    "Agree to disagree" is hard for some people to get to. Yes, I agree that different coaches would pick many of the same people, and some different people, and that that is "normal." Trying to close out a discussion by suggesting the illegitimacy of a POV on a subject about which reasonable people can disagree does not actually put a bow on the discussion. It prolongs it.

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The whole post you are responding to is quite clearly framed as my personal view. I kept out of the Roldan discussion for a while until it got (IMO) silly. Just to be clear, all the above is quite clearly labeled to be my opinion. Feel free to have your own opinion, keep posting and do not be surprised if my opinion (again, very much labeled as my opinion) is that some things said are just wrong. If your opinion is that my opposition is wrong, well then both opinions will have to live as uncomfortable threadmates side by side.

Winoman and dspence2311 repped this.
  9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm not thinking he's likely to have leaped to the top.

But he's:
    • A big body and good in the air
    • Good at stretching the field vertically
    • Is young and improving seemingly pretty rapidly
    With a healthy year, where would he be? I'm glad to see Wright get a look, but I think that a healthy Dike is probably a better bet than Wright or Vazquez to make an impact. All percentages, of course.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to say as Wright is a much better Wright just recently. Forwards get better sometimes slowly and sometimes a light goes off. Really looking forward to see if the light has gone off for Wright. At one time he was highly regarded and he's sort of the prodigal son returning to make good.

Zinkoff and tomásbernal repped this.
  11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yep, hard to say. I am not particularly certain about any of this. I think Dike has substantial upside, though, and his age, tools + lack of previous experience spoke to a potential big bump in performance.

But nothing's guaranteed, of course. And same on Wright. There's real tools and real skills, but the performance is fairly recent and he wouldn't be the first guy to have a hot streak well above his permanent performance level.

tomásbernal and Pegasus repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually pretty bullish about the next cycle. Most of these guys will have a lot more experience and be nearing their prime. It's a shame none of the prime age strikers are doing anything right now. Zardes is the best of that bunch? Altidore aged out or injured out ...

gogorath repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we ever get an answer on these questions regarding Roldan?

We have Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, Reyna, Morris, Arriola as wingers all clearly ahead of Roldan, almost certain not all of those guys will even make the World Cup roster. So if Roldan has zero shot at a single WC minute playing wide, what do those two assists matter if they weren't from the midfield role he's likely to play?

(setting aside for now that one was against Martinique)

14. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    1. All of the guys you listed will be on the roster if healthy 2. At least one will be hurt, it’s in the middle of the freaking club season. So yeah in the fantasy land where all those guys are healthy he’s out. But that’s never once been the case and there’s an extremely low probability that they’ll all be healthy, meaning he has a pretty good chance of being guy 23-26 on the roster.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the "above Roldan" list is six wingers: Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, Reyna, Morris, Arriola

Even if one is injured, surely we're only taking five wingers on a World Cup roster?

And that's barring any late breakouts like Konrad or Ledezma or whoever, just the current top guys.

16. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Lot of positional versatility on that list and Roldan is a utility guy. I don’t particularly care for Roldan but I am confident if one was hurt the other 6 will all be on the plane. I would prefer someone else jumping him obviously, especially if it were only a 23 man roster. I don’t really care if he’s guy #25 on the roster.

don Lamb repped this.
  17. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's up against those guys, he's more up against Busio. Who does GB trust in a situation where one of the MM's goes down? Probably DeLaTorre and Acosta, but what if Adams gets a red? Acosta goes back and it's either Roldan or Busio.
    Greg trusts Roldan over Busio, and so do I if I'm being honest.
    I agree with you in that there is no place for him on the wing depth chart, barring injuries.

18. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Hope all is ok with his family. Steffen needs to rebuild his confidence someplace where the manager will have patience and he can experience success.

Winoman and Pegasus repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. he seems to always have something to deal with either health, being rusty from being a backup or now family issues. So first I hope the family issues are minor and will go away quickly, next is to be completely healthy and then find a spot to actually play in the run up to the WC.

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some Brooks background

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many of us were saying all along that this had to be the case, while others insisted it was performance related...

We have that short clip from I think it was the first World Cup qualifying window, where Berhalter is talking during the game and Brooks is throwing up his arms in frustration...

23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine it's more than just the clip from the Canada game, but hard to judge without knowing more about the specifics.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  24. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Coaches always say it is performance related, no different than Klinsmann claiming Donovan was just a little behind other options when it was clear there was more to the story.

CU soccer repped this.
  25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #500 KALM, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
    The thing with Donovan though is that there doesn't seem to have been more to that story that wasn't already apparent at the time. When Donovan was asked about it recently, he speculated that his sabbatical might have caused Klinsmann to question his commitment to the team, or Jurgen might have still felt burned for going out on a limb by bringing him in at Bayern and having the move not pan out, but it basically sounded like his guess was as good as ours. It's not like there was some big rift or event that only those parties were privy to.

On the other hand, there obviously was more than met the eye when Harkes was dropped from the team, and the public did not learn about that until 12 years later, so who knows.

I think it's always been reasonable to speculate that there was something more going on with Brooks and Berhalter behind the scenes, because normally veteran starters who are playing regularly at a high level don't just disappear from our national team all of a sudden. But without more reporting, there's just not a lot to go off there -- some strained body language in a single clip I guess? And the Donovan example in my mind actually argues against speculating too much further, because sometimes there just doesn't end up being anything specific anyone can really point to even years down the line.