25/1/2011 Asian Cup SF: Australia - Uzbekistan

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Nurafshon, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    25/1/2011, Asian Cup 2011, SF:
    Australia - Uzbekistan

2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to the Socceroos against a country that no one has every been to and many people haven't even heard of! LOL

3. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    good luck uzbekistan
    you guys now got into top 4
    now make the best potential out of it.

revenge for the world cup 2010 qualifier :)

4. NinaQatar

NinaQatar Member

Sep 25, 2010
    We're not as lethal as we used to be a couple of years ago, in my opinion. Australia's current squad has a lot of missing notable players, such as Kennedy and Bresciano (just to name a few). We've also been narrowly winning our way to the successive rounds in this tournament, with the only exception being the four-goal marginal victory over an inexperienced Indian side.

I think Uzbekistan have the upper-hand. They've made it to 3 consecutive quarter-final appearances. History's shown us (as it did with Iraq, in 2007) that the team which reaches 3 consecutive quarter-finals might go all the way and win the tournament.

Nevertheless, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :p

5. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was that guy who scored at least 2 goals during the Socceroos World Cup? I'm pretty sure he was a new guy.

Isn't it Bret Holman or something? He must be here right and he's very good.

6. olimpialv

olimpialv Member

Jun 13, 2010
    las vegas, nv
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i think australia will win the game by experience of their players. But, uzbekistan is showing one of the best performance in this tour so far. Will be tough for aussies if the uzbeks score first.

7. Schoolboy Errors

Schoolboy Errors New Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Brett Holman - had an excellent game last night IMO

8. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I saw more extended highlights and he was great and so was the entire team. They had a LOT more chances than Iraq.

They should get to the final and win. HOW didn't they get this far in 2007?? I forgot what happened to the Socceroos then?

9. Schoolboy Errors

Jun 5, 2010
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    2007:

Terrible coaching, extremely poor preparation and the squad took a poor attitude to the Cup. And it all failed.

2011 - decent coaching, good prep and a squad that knows it can do better. Even though the squad is probably weaker than last time.

10. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I see the Soccerooos lost to Iraq in the preliminary round! Then they lost to Japan in penalties in the elimination round.

I do vaguely recall the Japan game but the Socceroos are too good to lose to Asian teams!

11. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    wtf does this mean ?

12. NinaQatar

NinaQatar Member

Sep 25, 2010
    I think you hit the nail on the head. That's a nice comparison, and I agree that the coaching is certainly a lot better than what it was back in 2007.

Although I still reserve my judgment that we'll lose to Uzbekistan, this is ultimately our best chance of winning the Asian Cup. :)

13. Schoolboy Errors

Jun 5, 2010
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Japan and Korea are both excellent teams at a similar level to us (and did better at the last WC). So I disagree with that.

14. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    hehe, our american (-based?) friend is perhaps a little intoxicated by his feelings towards the socceroos. definitely a "wtf?" moment...

15. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I really hope Tim and 'Awwy pull up OK, they were wrecked by the final whistle. If they're alright Holger has a massive selection headache as there's no way he can drop McKay but he has to bring back Emmo. I'd solve it like this:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Cahill, Kewell, Holman, McKay, Jedinak, Emerton, Carney, Ognenovski, Neill, Wilkshire, Schwarzer[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

But he may need to rest a couple of these guys and I have to say neither Burns or McDonald have impressed in their cameos. This team has a long way to go.

16. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Can we discuss teams that are still competing please?

17. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    I think they'll stick with Valeri and Jedinak. Although if going by the last few games we really need to be bringing Kilkenny on earlier as in the second half it seems Jedi is tiring and we're losing control of the midfield. McKay has deserved to keep his starting spot, though there's just doesn't seem to be the room atm.

We're lacking some creativity and also lacking a true striker... I'd like to see one of our true strikers come into the squad, or get a run earlier in the game.

18. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Kewell's hold up play is fantastic, we'd be in a much better place now had we of played him there straight after Viduka left. I remember the signs were apparant in the friendly against the Netherlands where he played half a game up top by himself and basically run the show with his touches and ball retention, had we of been better prepared, gone through the qualifiers and then the World Cup with him playing up top like that I think things may have been very different especially at the World Cup albeit Verbeek refused to play him against Germany and he did play up top against Ghana and looked very good till he got sent off.

19. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Have to agree, RickChelsea. It's something I've noticed this tournament as well. A mate was saying to me last night that Kewell is only a quarter of the player he once was. However, I don't think you can expect a 31 year old to play the same way as he did as a 17-22 year old. What he lacks in outright pace, he makes up for with touch, control, a bit more strength and football smartz. And he can still put in a burst of pace to give himself enough room to fire in a cross, even if he can't burn off defenders down the wings as he used to.

We should be playing Cahill off him, but he seems to be playing too deep to be effective outside corner and free kick situations. Otherwise, perhaps Scotty Mac, but it's unlikely he'll get a start unless injuries require a change.

I had a feeling that the Uzbeks might get one over us, having come off the extra time with one day less recovery, however having just seen Harry looking fresh and eager to play the next match I'm feeling a little better. It's still a massive danger game though - we need to make the most of those parts of the game that we have control and convert our chances.

20. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    Thats really been the biggest problem for us this tournament. The thing I do like though is, unlike under Pim, we are creating some excellent chances, in each and every game so far. Its a shame it hasn't yet resulted in some more goals, but its a good sign if we could find somebody to start regularly banging them in.

21. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    I wasn't even a Pim-hater, but I really like the way Holger is managing the team so far, on and off the field.

22. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    The chances I felt Australia had have reduced greatly since the start of the tournament, despite the tourney now being down to 4 teams. The team is betting its entire life on long balls after another set of long balls. The tactic is ineffective, impractical, and in all honesty very unimpressive for a team that has the talent to do much more. They have gotten past matches ever so slightely but their run of luck stops here. Uzbekistan does them inside out and pulls the upset.

23. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    ^^ I have to disagree with that.... The long ball has made a resurgence the last few games, yet there has been some slick and effective passing at times, notably a lovely pass from Holman to set up McKay last night that should of been an excellent goal.

24. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    i have a feeling Uzbecks going to win this, even though Australia are the favourites here.

i really think they will be the dark horse in the WCQ2014, taking on the mantle from North Korea and knocking out on of the Big 5.

I certainly dont want Uzbecks in Korea's group at the WCQs. Hate to be in yet another group of death two WCQs in a row.

25. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

This so called past Group of Death has only 1 team remaining in the semi's of this tournament. The real 2010 WCQers Group of Death has Japan, Uzbekistan and Aust all still remaining. How many times do you need to be told before you get it :confused::confused: