#24 ... Revs @ DC, Pre-Game, 9/9/7

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Sep 5, 2007.

1. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone needs to explain to me why the USA-Brazil match is on at the same time as this. I sadly wont be able to catch this huge match since I'll be cheering with Sam's Army.

I'm predicting a 2-1 Revs win, how? I don't Know. But it must happen!

RRREV IT UP

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just 2 more days. Here's hoping DC comes in realllllllly tired.

3. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say line em up and give em all a large cup of Rev Kool-Aid. They'll then be ready to kick some butt :D
    We don't need no subs and bench spark is overrated. Maybe our two Gambians are the answer?

I think we're in trouble this game and will be down 4 points on Sunday night. We had to go to overtime to win an open cup game

If we fall short of the mark again this year, the blame has to be put squarely on SN's back. Since he seems to be in charge of player decisions and has not filled out the roster while waithing for that perfect Brit to become available, he has to take the hit if anyone does

4. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    If Chivas can come back from two down, we certainly have a chance in this game. So 'cowboy up' folks and get on board. (Yes, I realize the two Chivas goals were quite fortunate goals, but it wasn't like they didn't create some opportunities.)

We do need to be very sharp and quick with our ball movement and off the ball runs.

5. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited and interested to see how the Revs play this one. Our questions about whether this team has what it takes to make a cup run begin to be answered on Sunday.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Here's hoping the Revolution come out strong, stay strong, stay composed, and bury the ********ers to the south.

7. jrkumor

jrkumor New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    H2O-Town, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was thinking this on my walk from the bus stop to work....

We, sorry they, NEED to win this game. Everyone on that field needs to be 100%, or even 110% ready for this game.

With that being said, I am a bit weary of Heaps playing if he is just recovered from his injury. I am willing to give more on Twellman(illness) and Noonan(groin) because Emilio has to be shut down. Of course, the Revs can't win the game if the offense can't put the ball in the net either. :eek:

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    If you've ever watched the Revs scrimmage college (and PDL) teams, you'd see that the games are a totally different style than MLS games. Sure, well-skilled, professional teams should be able to beat over-hyped, super-conditioned lower-level opponents. And, usually they do. But, its rarely pretty. Lower-level teams can be very good at disrupting the game, breaking rhythm and ... hacking. In short, the Revs aren't designed for that sort of game, nor should they be. They mostly need to be prepared for the more-skilled game that concedes players more time and space - MLS games. Its apples and oranges comparing an MLS game to a USOC game against *most* lower-league teams.
    Absolutely priceless thinking. Identify the guilty before the crime.

9. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    and WHEN we don't?

I am not even contemplating the IF's in your fantasy world, because it sucks.

10. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    There's no definitive way of countering this line of thinking, since we don't have enough insided information about the inner-workings of the Revolution organization to know who's really running what. Some speculate (raises hand) that the essential cheapness of the Revolution upper management has limited this team's ability to acquire additional talent and depth, and this - more than anything - is what prevents the team from taking that "final step".

I guess you have to ask yourself, do you think this team would have done better over the last four years without Steve Nicol.

I tend to doubt it.

And, as others have said, it's also a bit early to be assessing blame before the infraction occurs.

11. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I tend to doubt it too.

Nicol is the best coach we've ever had, and arguably the only good coach we've ever had.

However, the best reason to stay with Nicol is that I have zero confidence that the Revs front office could locate anyone as good as SN, never mind an upgrade. Think the Krafts would hire a Juergen Klinsman? Think again.

12. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I agree with rkupp here. The only thing you need to remember is that there were three red cards issued during the Revs - Railhawks game, numerous yellow cards and a host of fouls delivered by the Railhawks to disrupt the game. Even the Railhawk fans talked about that as their coach's strategy. It's not evil (so long as injurious fouls are not a part of the game), but it is a part of a weaker team's strategy against a stronger team.

13. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

We should pressure the D hard, so they'll have to put the ball at Perkins's feet. Maybe he'll pull a Conway this time... or do what he did at Chivas... I'm fine with either one :D

14. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again you have no idea what you are talking about.

15. Wine4MyMen

Wine4MyMen New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    FWIW, the RailHawks, with just a single day off before playing at bottom-feeder Minnesota, got crushed 5-0 last night. They gave the Revs all they had, dirty or not. I'm hoping that the cross-country trip and a tight game with Chivas will have DCU a bit gassed. The back-end of two games in four days tends to be tough. I think even a banged up Revs side will play well on Sunday.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The Revs have done quite well against DC the last few seasons. I'm sure the Rev players/coaches are very confident going into the game. I don't think DC can say the same.

17. owain

owain Member

Jul 29, 2007
    This game is huge. The winner could very well end up with the shield... And btw, I think a tie between Chivas and DC was the best thing that could have happened. The two teams with the best PPG drawing? That's perfect... I want that shield! :D

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the answer that comes to mind is "HELL NO!"

Damn, that Kool-Aid tastes weird. ;)
    I was curious about this so I looked into it.

This year
    @ DC, 1-1
    DC, home 0-3
    0-1-1, 0-0-1 at DC
    Last year
    @ DC, loss 1-0
    DC, home 1-1
    DC, home 1-1
    @ DC, win 2-1
    @ DC, win 1-0 (ECF final)
    2-1-2, 2-1-0 @ DC
    @ DC, win 4-3
    DC, home 1-0
    @ DC, loss 2-0
    DC, home 2-1
    3-1-0, 1-1-0 at DC

In total "the last few years" we have 5-4-3 ... 3-2-1 at DC, not sure how that makes DC not as confident going into the game.

We're 2 of the best teams in the East the last 3 years, and the even-up matches kinda prove it. BTW, just to help my case, we were 0-2-3 (the 3rd tie is the loss in PKs in the ECF) and 0-1-2 (see last) in DC.

Facts and all that.
    Agreed agreed agreed. Even if some on this board consider the Shield "hypothetical."

19. owain

owain Member

Jul 29, 2007
    The Supporter's Shield may not have much prestige in and of itself atm, but I think as the league matures it will gain in significance. As a means to qualify for multiple tournaments it already has plenty of significance as far I'm concerned. ;)

This year we have a chance at the treble (why don't we say triple?)... next year, we could have a chance at the ... what? a quintuple?

20. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If not SN then who? Mike Burns, Craig Tornburg? I don't think so. Sunil? ... maybe. I wouldn't argue that cheapness is a big part of the equation and maybe SN takes the hits for somethings he has no control over? However, since the money can't be deverted elsewhere, why not spend it?

There are many things SN does well and some things he doesn't do as good at. Building a bench thats more then two deep is something he hasn't done very well at. Managing the first 13 to achieve results is his strength.

If a car is speeding towards a cliff at 100 MPH is it not reasonable to assume that when the car is 50 ft from the edge, it will go over? The car hasn't actually fallen but the result is almost certainly decided. Can we now blame the driver for speeding or not applying the brakes even though the car hasn't crashed yet? Sure we can.

The Revs are maybe 100 ft from the edge of that cliff. There still might be time to do something if they act but every day they wait makes a crash & burn more likely. If these kids they just signed can contribute now, it may be enough. If not, the Revs had a LONG time to do something to avoid the cliff but for whatever reason didn't. Other teams have located and signed people that can help them now so don't tell us there's nobody out there. So unless we get some additional inside information, I'm left with no other alternative but to blame the driver

21. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of it this way - we're the only team with a legitimate shot at the domestic treble. Dallas is too far behind to get the Shield.

Here's hoping the guys know this.

22. revs

revs Member

Apr 22, 2003
    MA
    hey guys, at least we control our own destiny now that dc tied chivas, always a positive thing :)

23. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't have much insight to the inner workings, I can just about guarantee the perception of "cheapness" we all have about the team can't be laid at the feet of Burns, Tornburg or Nicol.

Sunil is a smart guy. He is an economist by training.

I think he would like nothing more than to win an MLS cup while under the cap by a large margin. He'd be the soccer version of that San Diego Padres GM only x 5.

I suspect the worse thing in his mind would be to be to open up Kraft's wallet and sign someone huge, only to have the team do no better (ie. lose in the final) or even worse, than they have done on the cheap.

I suspect that the Revs relative success over the past few seasons while being under the cap is one of the prime driving forces why big signings haven't occured here.

24. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    So basically - we really need our team to start tanking again....or no one to show up in the stands, before Sunil/Kraft will think about making moves???

wow - if that is the reason, I am at a complete loss of words.

25. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    You have to be kidding. Steve Nicol (or Paul Mariner) is the best coach in MLS at identifying talent and developing young players, even if he hasn't batted 1.000 with his signings (ex Jose Cancela vs the expectations of him). I had never heard of Jeff Larentkowitz nor Wells Thompson, but Nicol found them and players like them and has build a solid supporting cast for Twellman, Ralston et al. He and Dominic Kinnear are the class coaches of the league in identifying talent (I think Dave Kasper is our secret, not sure about Tom Soehn yet in this area) and those three coaches are all in their first tours as head coaches and will continue to improve.
    I personally think your starting 11 is better than most in the league and will keep you in contention for a title. Given our state of fatigue, we will have our hands full tomorrow. We might have looked past Chivas to you guys too much on Thursday, and if we are tired enough we might look past you guys to Toronto.