'24 In-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Feb 22, 2024.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheWarmBurger, COMtnGuy and unkiemark repped this.
  2. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    jrowe13, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  3. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of which Giles Grimandi is still the GOAT.

(No, I'm still not over it)

TheWarmBurger, JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Amokachi

TheWarmBurger and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  5. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a blip on the radar I forgot that happened.

TheWarmBurger, nowar99 and JasonMa repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

Not a lot of revelations from Pádraig’s visit with the DNVR Rapids pod today, but here are some of the highlights (from what I remember, which doesn’t mean that it’s thorough).

• The core of the team is in place - they are young, athletic* and fit what the Rapids want to do on the attack; use altitude and fitness to press and score in transition. He noted that we haven’t seen the high press used as much as it will be in the future when the core has had more time together.
    • All personnel decisions are made looking at the long term. This is why Rubio isn’t here (he is 30 and most likely wouldn’t fit the “Rapids Way” at this time) and likely why they aren’t going to pursue Badji (he implied this when it came up).
    • They are close to getting a permanent deal done for Navarro and stated it isn’t a problem that his transfer fee is going up due to production. He once again expressed how well Rafa fits with the team in a variety of ways (culturally, style, work rate etc.).
    • Pádraig on Diack was interesting. He thought that the injury to Ronan hurt Diack’s chances for playing time as it allowed Bassett and Larraz to play together which worked very well and took away anyone else getting a chance. No mention of any attitude issues - which of course he wouldn't state if it was the case.
    • Bringing in players on loan with the option to buy will continue as it gives both the players and Rapids time to see if it works without being locked into a bad situation.
    • The Rapids will be looking to make moves in the upcoming transfer market and he hinted that a 6 would be a priority - he’s also had this discussion with Larraz who he told to be prepared for competition. He knows there’s been conversation among fans about Badji returning, but I didn’t get the sense it was gonna happen. Also he pointed out that Yapi is just 19 and everyone needs to give him time to develop. Very importantly, he stated that Bombito is most likely not going to be transferred anytime soon. Said he still has a lot of development ahead.
    * Pádraig made it clear that he favors youth/fitness and said last year’s poor record was on him as he let the team get too old.

7. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    That point about Yapi doesn't make sense to me...he is a forward that hasn't produced while being given lots of time with first team. Instead they should have him focus fully on Rapids 2 or a loan and let him have that time to develop. Currently the strategy seems to have him develop at the expense of results for the first team.

COMtnGuy, TheWarmBurger, nowar99 and 2 others repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to listen to the interview tomorrow before the Euros kick off but reading these notes its all vintage Padraig. Always talking about the future, potential, etc. And then saying "oh that mistake last year is all on me" but then not actually making any real changes to how he does things.

Simple fact is this team has not advanced in a knockout competition against a MLS or international opponent since 2016, the longest active streak in the league. Until that changes its all talk.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming back to this. If we got "too old" what did we do about that?

Released/traded/moved Wilson (31), Nicholson (28),and Yarbrough (34) but keepers play longer. Those are the only 3 players who left that played more than about a third of the minutes last season. We brought in Steffen (29), Vines (25), Mihailovic (25), and Fernandez (25) as players who have played over half the minutes this season. So yes, we got younger but its not like we've gotten "young". And the other 7 players all got a year older.

We made other moves certainly that may pay off in the future, but for this season did we really solve the age problem? Or was the problem not really age?

Quinn 33 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    COMtnGuy, AlbertCamus and unkiemark repped this.
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just thought I’d share…. I’m at the Euros and watched Denmark vs Slovenia in Stuttgart. The city was a sea of Danish red. Wild, crazy and fun. Anyways….. in a discussion with a set of Danish fans mentioned the Rapids and our Dane, Maxso. One guy blurts out something like oh yes….yes… yes…. good player at Nordsjælland, so-so at Brondby but not so bright guy. Make dumb play sometimes. :D

13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Watching the Belgium v Slovakia match felt a bit like the last time the Rapids played San Jose in terms of VAR involvement ;)

rapidsmarc repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

AlbertCamus, Quinn 33, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  15. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many PK goals? ;)

17. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Based on previous year's, I will take any goals at all and count them!

AlbertCamus, Sports Yak, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey made 4 of 6 PKs in '09, Cunningham 2 of 3 in '05, and Spencer 2 of 2 in '01. Navarro's made 4 of 6 this year.

Though I think the "discount" fans apply to PKs shouldn't be applied when the player scoring the PK also earned the PK, which NAvarro has done once or twice this year.

19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just happy we'll have a year where our leading goalscorer isn't a defender or something capping off at a whopping tally of 4 or 5.

20. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Hey don’t be shortchanging us! Bassett - a midfielder - was our leading scorer at 6 goals last season!

Sports Yak repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Djordje’s hatty last night pushes his goal total to 8. He’s clearly on his way to double digits. That begs the question, have there been two double digit scorers in the same season in the last 10 years? I think Rubio and Zardes were close in 2022 and I think Kamara and Rubio were close in 2019. Since I moved to Denver in 2009 I can only think of Cummings and Casey in 2009 and/or 2010.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamara 14 and Rubio 11 in 2019.

Before that Cummings (14)/Casey (13) in 2010.

Before that Spencer (14)/Chung (11) in 2003.

Before that Carrieri (11)/Chung (11)/Henderson (11) in 2002.

Before that Harris (13)/Bravo (11)/ Paule (10) in 1998.

I think the two-person record of 27 from C+C Goal Factory in 2010 is reachable, but not guaranteed. That would mean 9 more goals from Navarro and Mihailovic in 15 games. They're currently on 18 in 19 games right now.

24. rapidsmarc

rapidsmarc Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    And I think with Bassett scoring regularly it is very possible that we will have 3 with double digit goals.

m vann, AlbertCamus, jrowe13 and 2 others repped this.
  25. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002