23 tickets to GC?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Mar 30, 2011.

1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So 3 out of 23. One of which could have simply declined, which isn't on Bob, and another of which seems to be in decent form.

My point is, calm down.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying I should call my psychiatrist and cancel my appointment. :)

3. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ok then let me rephrase question. when we get to the finals vs mexico who stars?:D

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Something like this:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]???, ???, Dempsey, Jones, Bradley, Donovan, ???, Bocanegra, ???, Cherundolo, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably whatever lime up starts against Spain.

My rough guess

Howard
    Cherundolo-Goodson-Onyewu-Bocanegra
    (or possibly Bocanegra with Onyewu center and Bornstein left)
    Donovan - bradley - jones -Dempsey
    Agudelo (or possibly Wondolowski ) -Altidore

6. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Without Chandler, we're going to have to stick to 4-4-2. Agudelo needs to be in the starting 11.

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Seeing as Wondo's made the squad and has never played with our full team (the only field player never to do so IIRC), I would figure that he'll be on the field. If not as a starter than almost certainly come halftime or the 60th minute or so, I'd think.

8. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I feel Chicharito gonna tear up the question marks on defense, no matter who they end up being.

9. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Agudelo as a super sub.

10. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't SKC allude to Bunbury being called up? Que paso?

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    you ever watch his goals?

They are runs off the ball to tap in, head or breakaways that require a pass.

If chicarito could create on his own, he would destroy us, but it is the guy who passes to him that we need to worry about.

12. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know whoever did the projections over at noshortcorners said Bunbury was on the squad. Maybe something changed there last minute too?

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Yeah, can someone please teal back the truth on this one?

14. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Bedoya & Mix are still playing their season, maybe the reason why they're not going to Gold Cup.

Chandler, maybe asked for a brake.

Gomez, had mediocre season with Pachuca.

Wondo over Bunbury, hhmm...maybe this final judgement for Wondo quality for USNT.

Rimando & Marcus really no future with USNT, their age with lack experience USNT. Yeddell, Guzan or Johnson need more USNT experience & have future with USNT.

15. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it was probably still better than Jozy's.

16. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Jozy is more hussle & muscle player, not quality finisher. Still Jozy has more impact in the game, he just sucks in scoring.

17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expected JB to make it as long as BB is the coach. Very surprise with the Chandler ommision, if he got cold feet I wish someone (bob or chandler) would come out and say it, I hate it when people are just not forthcoming with the truth.

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After thinking about the roster (and enjoying some of the classic over-reactions to a roster announcement), I'm down to this:

1) most of the roster was exactly what folks expected. 17 non-surprises.

2) 2 bordeline guys who most knew were in the mix, but beat out some favorite they prefered -- Bornstein and Kljestan.

3) 3 mild surprises -- Adu, Wondo, and the 3d keeper Rimando. But nobody really cares about the 3d keeper, and choosing an MLS guy is actually pretty smart. And Adu fans should be VERY happy. Wondo has been a top MLS scorer, but generally I'm indifferent to him; we shall see.

4) 1 big surprise -- Rogers. Presumably he replaced Chandler, who may have begged off at the last moment and forced Bob Bradley to scramble for an available replacement. Rogers isn't international quality, but whatever. The tournament won't turn on his performance, assuming he even plays.

5) My one big concern about this roster is actually what it may suggest for BB's lineups. There are arguably 10 midfielders and only 3 true forwards. Is BB thinking of continuing the 4-5-1 experiments??? I was hoping that was dead for now, after looking better every time the US switched from the 4-5-1 to the 4-4-2 in the post-Cup friendlies, and then fully committing to the 4-4-2 vs Paraguay.

I really don't care to see more 4-5-1 setups until at least Holden returns to top form. But I'm not so sure based on this roster.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I share this concern. But I'm also thinking it's quite possible that he prefers Dempsey to any 4th forward and... had rather brought another wide mid instead of the forward options. So he chose Rogers (as a last-minute replacement).

(Are you buying this? I'm not. I think he might still be thinking 451, if only situationally...)

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm ok with the WONDO pick. Having JB play very litle with his mexican team and out of position and being subed in at his prior to last game and getting pulled out 18 minutes after coming in tells me how bad he is, YET, BB still rewards him with a call up. The Chandler obmission is either BB excellent insight on player selection or Chandler doesn't want to give up his GER. status. I just wished someone (Chandler or BB) would come out and say it, we are big boys, we can take it.

21. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the emergence of Agudelo, the 4-5-1 doesn't seem very likely anymore.

22. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Think back to the U20 team with Adu and Altidore. Was that a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2?

23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I think it's weird. Only three forwards indicates that Demps is in the forward mix. But, w/o Chandler, who would take his place at outside mid?

Weird.

24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a 4-5-1, with Adu playing as an advanced attacking mid, at times almost as a second striker (so almost 4-4-2-ish). Two DM's supporting Adu and two out-and-out wingers running the flanks from penalty box to penalty box.

But Adu was really good back then, against his (youth) peers. And Altidore was also very good back then. I'm not so sure about now. Especially since this team won't be built around Adu, supporting Adu. Adu is a role-playing sub these days for the Nat's, not an offensive fulcrum/playmaker.

25. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    There are quite a few candidates for the fourth attacking role. In order of likelihood I see these options:

1) Agudelo. We've looked better in the 4-4-2 and Agudelo has impressed in his opportunities with the team.

2) Feilhaber. Started in the Poland friendly and did a lot of interchanging with Dempsey in that game. I could see something similar going forward.

3) Adu. The classical choice if we go 4-3-3 (4-5-1). Has worked well with Altidore in the past.

4) Wondo. Another option if we want to go 4-4-2. Did not look good in his one Nat start as the single forward, so I would not expect him in that sort of setup.

5) Kljestan. I presume he would play wide with Demspey or Donovan moving centrally or to forward.

6) Rogers. Similar as with Kljestan but he is more of a pure winger option.