23 Tickets to Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by flem16, May 18, 2011.

1. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was brought into camp cupcake. He's on "the list". If he scores a second, and a third, etc., he'll be on more "lists".

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Scoring" means more than one goal.

3. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If 12 of these are right I'll be amazed, but I'll give it a try:

Lock
    -None too early to tell

Nearly a Lock
    1. Landon Donovan M [32]
    2. Tim Howard G [35]
    3. Clint Dempsey M [31]
    4. Stuart Holden M [28]

Fairly Safe Bet
    5. Jozy Altidore F [24]
    6. Michael Bradley M [26]
    7. Timmy Chandler D [24]

In a Battle
    8. Jermaine Jones M [32]
    9. Brad Guzan G [29]
    10. Clarence Goodson D [32]
    11. Juan Aguedelo F [21]

Work Left to Do
    12. Maurice Edu M [27]
    13. Teal Bunbury F [24]
    14. Eric Lichaj D [25]
    15. Ale Bedoya M [27]
    16. Charlie Davies F [28]
    17. Mix Diskerud M [23]
    18. Seb Lleget M [?]
    19. David Yelldell G [32]
    20. Joesph Gyau M [21]
    21. Ike Opara D [25]
    22. Anothony Wallace D [24]
    23. Oguchi Onyewu D [32]

4. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would add John Anthony Brooks to your list of work to do. Exchange him for someone along with Daniel Williams for Wallace and it looks like a good list. Williams time in the Germany puts him ahead in my mind.

5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Here are my 23 (with their ages in June 2014 in parens)

Starters
    Goalie: Howard (35)
    Left back: Shea (24)
    Right back: Chandler (24)
    Center backs: Ream (26), Gonzalez (25)
    Holding mids: Holden (28), Jones (32)
    Attacking mid: Donovan (32), Dempsey (31)
    Forwards: Altidore (24), Adu (25)

Backups:
    Goalies: Guzan (29), Rimando (35)
    Defenders: Lichaj (25), Agbossoumonde (22), Goodson (32)
    Mids: Bradley (26), Edu (28), Okugo (23), Gatt (22), Bedoya (27), Mix (23)
    Forwards: Altidore (24), Agudelo (21), Adu (25)

A few comments: The defense is very young. But I think there is going to be a lot of turnover given the age and health of the current incumbents. Forward remains a position without much depth. We will compensate by playing the 4-5-1 (4-3-3) a fair amount. A key question will be who plays the attacking mid/withdrawn forward spot. The leading candidates: Donovan, Mix and Adu. Although they are listed as mids, both Edu and Okugo are on my roster partly for their ability to play defense. If Bedoya and Gatt develop (or other young attacking mids such as Lletget), we could have Dempsey starting at forward and Donovan as withdrawn forward, with a new pair of wide mids. That would be a good thing given the amount of running the wide mids do. Finally, there could be one older player who could surprise us by aging more gracefully than expected. My leading candidate at this point would be Cherundolo who would be 35 in 2014.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Actually, a bunch of RPL matches are streamed online in excellent quality (i.e., high bit rate) every week.

Furthermore, a lot of the RPL matches in the various UEFA events are available online as well.

He has scored more than one during the last calendar year.

This season is still very young and the coach has juggled the starting eleven, including the formation changes, of a cobbled up squad.

You might be confusing him with Altidore.

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I haven't seen a "bunch" but I have seen a few here-and-there (occasionally a Ukrainian match as well), and I catch one once every blue moon. It's good quality soccer. Unfortunately I don't know all that many players in the RPL, and my knowledge of even the big clubs is extremely cursory. And I'm definitely a more-avid-than-average fan of the game in general.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I will catch a "big" team (Spartak, CSKA, Zenit, Rubin) a couple of times a month. I may catch it more often this week onward, since it's the only morning league remaining still offering a regular schedule.

PS. I know that it's easier to follow a league while knowing the language too.

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    True. But that doesn't always stop me, I mean I don't speak Spanish or Italian, either. My mom and baba spoke Russian to me as a toddler, but I can hardly understand a thing now. Isolated words/phrases.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I know that it is a bit pre-mature considering we haven't started qualifying yet but this news is quite important regarding one of our top prospects so I figured it was bumpworthy:

Joe Gyau has been called into Hoffenheim's first team for the Bundesliga pre-season. The team only called up 2 other U-23s to play in friendlies with the squad and at 18 years of age it is a very big deal to have one of our guys playing on the senior team of a club like Hoffenheim.

Just wanted to interrupt with some good news amongst some of the doom and gloom of our future talent.

http://www.die-fans.de/fussball/aktuell/artikel/,Trainingsauftakt+am+22.+Juni,46348,,,,,south

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great news! hopefully, he'll get some minutes this year.

What's the word on Renken? i know he was injured awhile ago.

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Still with the U-19s after coming back from injury from what I understand. Might have a couple U-23 matches under his belt but I'm honestly not sure. Might want to check the YNT forums.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news on Gyau. We don't have WCQ until June 2012 under the new format, I believe.

A good year in Europe for Gyau and Gatt and our wing options will look radically different.

14. FCBUSMNT

FCBUSMNT Member

May 25, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shea over Lichaj to start? Fairly bold.

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    That was posted on May 22nd before Lichaj had even played one match for the U.S.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Josh Gatt having a good game, albeit at fullback, for the Norwegian leaders Molde can also be termed "good news".

17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Definitely, Have to keep an eye on that as well.

Should be an exciting YA season.

18. FCBUSMNT

FCBUSMNT Member

May 25, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whoops, didn't see the time stamp.

19. Ratbear

Ratbear Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Even after I've seen Lichaj, I'd like to see Shea play a few games there.

Jeez... Kljestan, Bedoya, Feilhaber, Holden, Edu, Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, Chandler, an aging Donovan, Torres, Adu, surely at least one or two young players will announce their presence during this cycle as well and that's just the Midfield!

This has got to be the toughest job in terms of team selection a U.S. manager has ever had.

20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Huge Stevie C fan here. I know it's crazy, but after the GC, I'd be interested in seeing him play some centerback. Chandler at right back, Lee-Hi at left. Goodson or Boca as the other CB. I think Stevie could possibly hang on as a CB until 2014. Heck, I think he'd make a better CB right now than Ream.

2014:

---------------------Agudelo

---Donovan---------Dempsey----------Jozy
    Lichaj-------Bradley------------Holden-----Chandler
    ---------------Goodson---Cherundolo-----------
    -----------------------?

Bench going roughly from top to back
    Starikov -striker
    Davies - striker
    Gyau - attacking winger
    Bedoya - attacking winger
    Edu - DM
    Gaven - in the Dempsey role
    Spector - DM
    Loyd - wingback
    Omar G - center back
    Shea - position unknown
    Lenhart - battering ram

I think Timmy will retire internationally by then. And, I think Guzan is going to be a long time in cracking an EPL starting line up. He'd be better off going to another league. I think Jones is too injury prone and won't make it to 2014. I think Specs will latch on somewhere as a box to box mf and play at a decent level in that spot.

21. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of fun idea. Here goes my completely unscientific guess:

GK - Howard, Guzan, Rimando

Outside Backs - Lichaj, Chandler, Cherundolo, Shea

Center Backs - Goodson, Bocanegra, Ream, Gonzalez

Defensive Midfield - Bradley, Jones, Edu

Attacking Midfield - Donovan, Dempsey, Holden, Kljestan, Feilhaber, Bedoya

Forwards - Altidore, Agudelo, Davies

Last Cuts

D - Onyewu, Opara, Loyd, Spector
    M - Torres
    F - Bunbury

22. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a big Dolo fan (as I am as well), you no doubt know that he is 5'6. A full 3.5-inches shorter than the poster child for successful "short" CBs, Cannavaro. And even at 5'9, Cannavaro needed truly freakish leaping ability and timing to get by.

23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    yah, I wondered about his stature. . . . . Ok. I was wrong on that one.

24. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way too early to say, but always fun to guess. My latest prediction:

FW Jozy Altidore
    FW Juan Agudelo
    FW Joe Gyau
    FW Omar Salgado
    FW Danny Mwanga

I see Jozy and Agudelo as near locks barring disaster. Gyau seems to be on the fast track to success. If he's already good enough to get Bundesliga minutes then he must be one of our best forwards, because we don't have anyone playing at that level. The last two spots are just guesses. Salgado looks a bit too gangly to my eyes, but some speak highly of him and I like his willingness to shoot. His height and deep shooting give us a different dimension. I figure Mwanga will commit to the US program. Whether or not he's good enough to make a difference remains to be seen, but 11 goals in 37 MLS games is a decent return for a young pro. Other options here include U20 names like Ruelas, Wood, and Doyle. We'll have to see how they progress. Finally, I think Koroma from the U17 team could be a candidate. Crazy as it sounds to project a 16 year old onto our WC roster, our lack of proven talent at this position and our willingness to rely on youngsters (Jozy, Agudelo) means there will probably be opportunities for exceptional talents to step up.

MF Michael Bradley
    MF Stuart Holden
    MF Maurice Edu
    MF Clint Dempsey
    MF Landon Donovan
    MF Sebastian Lletget
    MF Joshua Gatt
    MF Brek Shea

Bradley is a lock if he stays healthy and Holden is a lock if he recovers from his injuries. Donovan and Dempsey should still figure into the equation, although it's possible that both will be on the decline. I'm not wild about Edu, but he's young, experienced, and a regular player for a big club. I anticipate Lletget taking the next step sometime soon. He looks polished, tidy on the ball, and good in distribution. Gatt is seemingly moving up the ranks quickly, already getting regular starts in a decent league and earning consistent praise for his speed, which will come in handy at this level. Shea takes my final spot as a sort of wing/forward hybrid. He looked poor in his only US caps, but he's obviously on Bob's radar and has been in great form during this MLS season. The midfield will be competitive and there are lots of other players who could earn spots here. The ones who come to mind immediately are Bedoya, Kljestan, and Feilhaber. I could easily see any one of them making it. I think Jermaine Jones will probably be on the slide by the time the next WC rolls around, although he's another possibility if he ages well.

DF Timothy Chandler
    DF Eric Lichaj
    DF Bobby Convey
    DF Perry Kitchen
    DF Gale Agbossoumonde
    DF Clarence Goodson
    DF Carlos Bocanegra

Chandler and Lichaj look like locks. I'm taking a wild guess with Convey, who hasn't been capped in a long time and seemingly has little hope of making it. I just think we'll want a naturally left-footed player who can defend on the outside, and he seems like the best candidate. Plus, he has the versatility to contribute in the midfield if needed. Versatility is also the main reason why Kitchen makes my roster. He can play CB, CDM, or RB. I expect Boss to be one of our starting CBs by 2014. I don't know who will partner him, but my guess today would be Goodson. He's a proven commodity who should still be in his prime (32 isn't ancient for a CB). On that note, I still think Boca might be able to help us as a CB, even though he'll be quite old and slow. As of right now he's one of our best players at this position and no obvious candidates have emerged to replace him.

GK Tim Howard
    GK Brad Guzan
    GK Bill Hamid

Howard and Guzan look like the frontrunners for the top 2 spots. The #3 gig is a total crapshoot, from my perspective. We have a number of prospects who could earn it. Johnson, Hamid, McMath, Hall. Take your pick.

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always interesting to see how people approach it. Most tend to project out, some go with who is the best 23 right now and then update it as players move up the charts. I'll go with the latter approach. Barring injury, I'll go:

Pack Your Bags, Boys (4).
    1. Tim Howard, GK, Everton (England 1)
    2. Stuart Holden, M, Bolton Wanderers (England 1)
    3. Landon Donovan, M/F, Los Angeles (USA 1)
    4. Clint Dempsey, M/F, Fulham (England 1)

Nearly A Lock (3)
    5. Michael Bradley, CM, B. Monchegladbach(Aston Villa) (Ger/Eng 1)
    6. Jermaine Jones, CM, Schalke 04(Blackburn) (Ger/Eng 1)
    7. Timothy Chandler, RB/RM, Nuremberg (German 1).

Pretty Safe Bet (7).
    8. Brad Guzan, GK, Aston Villa (for now) (England 1)
    9. Steve Cherundolo, RB, Hannover '96 (Germany 1). Father time is the only question.
    10. Carlos Bocanegra, CB/LB, St. Etienne (France 1). Father time is the issue here as well.
    11. Clarence Goodson, CB, Brondby (Danish 1). Moving up in Europe and for the USA.
    12. Eric Lichaj, RB/LB, Aston Villa(Leeds) (Eng 1/2).
    13. Maurice Edu, CM, Glasgow Rangers (Scotland 1)
    14. Josmer Altidore, F, Villarreal(Bursaspor) (Spainish/Turkish 1)

In a Battle (3).
    15. Alejandro Bedoya, CM/AM, Orebo (Sweden 1)
    16. Sacha Kljestan, CM/AM, Anderlecht (Belgium 1)
    17. Juan Agudelo, F, New York RB (USA 1)

Work To Do (6).
    18. Charlie Davies, F, DC United (USA 1)
    19. Benny Feilhaber, CM/AM, New England (USA 1)
    20. Oguchi Onyewu, CB, AC Milan(FC Twente) (Italy 1/Dutch 1). Will he regain form?
    21. Jay DeMerit, CB, Vancouver (USA 1). Father time. Ream experiment failed.
    22. Joe Gyau, AM/F, Hoffenheim (Germany 1)
    23. David Yelldell, GK.

Comments:
    I think the first 17 are pretty straightforward, and Davies and Feilhaber probably lead the rest of the pack at the moment. After that, the backup CB situation is a mess right now. Onyewu is out of form, the Ream experiment didn't go well, and DeMerit will be 35 in 2014. Still, I give the edge to Onyewu and DeMerit for now. Then the last spot, could go for a utility type (Spector, Clark), a another forward, preferably a TF (Bunbury, Sapong, Lenhart, Buddle, Gomez, etc), another attacking mid (Torres, Adu, Diskerud), a LB (Spector, Convey, Cunningham, Pearce), a winger (Gatt, Gyau).

By Position:
    GK: Howard; Guzan, Yelldell
    OB: Cherundolo, Lichaj;
    CB: Goodson, Bocanegra; Onyewu, Demerit
    D/M: Chandler
    CM/DM: Jones Bradley; Edu
    CM/AM: Holden; Kljestan
    WM: Donovan, Dempsey; Feilhaber, Bedoya, Gyau
    F: Altidore; Agudelo, Davies