23 Players that should be called up to Euro 2008 [PART 2] (Not- "is Oddo Good?" Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Cassano, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Re: 23 Players that should be called up to Euro 2008 [PART 2] (Not- "is Oddo Good?" Discussion Threa

So Dossena deserves to go because on the season he had? But for some reason, you don't think Borriello should go even though he's had a great season? :confused:

How come you put Del Piero and Quag on the squad you want to see, yet in both cases you say you don't want it to happen?

2. AzzurriR0ck

AzzurriR0ck Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Re: 23 Players that should be called up to Euro 2008 [PART 2] (Not- "is Oddo Good?" Discussion Threa

I put them on there because I know they will be on Donadoni's squad so there is no reason to replace them as that's how it will be. I know that didn't really make sense, but I was too lazy to back and edit it.

Borriello hasn't scored a goal in over a month, he isn't exactly in the best form and hasn't done much in the last month.

3. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma

Dream on

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I really hope Donadoni pick him! He is an ageless wonder!

Milan, applausi ma ora 'acquisti'

Fuori da Champions, ma tanto affetto per squadra, Inzaghi e Cafu

18 maggio 2008

http://www.raisport.rai.it/sportarticolo/0,10719,98215,00.html

[​IMG]

5. AzzurriR0ck

AzzurriR0ck Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Los Angeles

Again, I'll never understand why people are expecting Del Piero to carry or even help Italy win the Euro crown. It just doesn't make any sense to me, because he has never really performed well for the Azzurri so why should we expect him to start at the age of 33?

He cost us a major tournament and we won the biggest prize of all without a significant contribution from ADP... I'm truly perplexed as to how he is going to lead us to glory. In my opinion, he will go, but his role will be pretty much the same as it was two years ago in Germany.

Having said that, I really hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see it happening.

6. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

His goal finished off Germany. :)

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Well in terms of Germany could have tied the match had they scored a last minute goal as they did aginst Poland, ADP may have saved the day. Realistically however, being already minutes away from victory, I doubt Germany would have scored.

8. AzzurriR0ck

AzzurriR0ck Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Los Angeles

A beautiful goal by Del Piero, no doubt. Cannavarro, Totti, and Gilardino all combined perfectly to set up Del Piero's shot, which he finished perfectly.

Having said that, Grosso killed Germany and Del Piero's goal was simply icing on the cake. It wasn't that important of a goal in the broader scheme of things. A nicely taken finish, but not one that I would consider an important contribution.

Again, neither that or anything else that he has ever done (while playing for Italy) leads me to believe that he will be able to carry the Azzurri.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Yeah but you can't really go by what happened in the past. I mean both Cannavaro & Nesta were to blame against France in Euro 2000 and Cannavaro anyway, turned out to be a hero in 2006. Maldini was a God until 2002 when Ahn burned him and he never played again for Italy. Ciro Ferrara was always considered the best Italian defender but with Baresi, Billy Costacurta, Gigi Appoloni, Nesta and others, he never had a chance to shine with the national team. Del Piero had Zola and Baggio to contend with 10-11 years ago and then he couldn't really start over Totti and when he did he wasn't ready or could not jell with the others.....I mean I think we are all too caught up in the past.

10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

:rolleyes:

11. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Congratulations on 2nd:)

12. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania

Boriello has scored a lot of PENALTIES. His number should be around 12 or 13 i believe.
    He is not good enough to go to the Euros. The trio up front should be ;
    Cassano - Toni - Del Piero (even though he is dopped up! :)). Quagliarella also should not go!. Rosina should go ! I think he will be bringing Montolivo which is a good addition as well.

13. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

No he shouldn't.

He was very poor this season (although he was better when De Biasi came back).

14. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006

Likewise on 3rd. ;)

15. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

nesta wasn't to blame at all for euro 2000. he did not make the mistake on that last play, that seems to be a myth that just won't die on this board...:)

16. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006

Did i hear this right? People are actually trying to blame Cannavaro and Nesta for us not winning Euro 2000?

These guys were awesome in defence.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I don't know but from what I remember seeing that play over and over ,I think both were to blame on that goal. Maybe its on you tube?

Either way that is history! What I want to know is what is going on now. I mean the final selection is just hours away and the Don still has his doubts on who he should pick? This link was from just 11 hours ago. Doesn't anyone have a clue about who is getting picked?

Italia: ancora dubbi per Donadoni

http://www.datasport.it/leggi.aspx?id=5029487

18. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Well just to remind everyone, Donadoni's verdict will be out tomorrow at 3 PM Italian time, which is around 9 AM EST.

He will pick 23 players + 4 alternates and then these players will start training at Coverciano on May 25th in preparation for the friendly vs. Belgium on May 30th. May 28th the 4 alternates will leave the training camp.

19. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

yeah, falvo you are right, it is history...but you are thinking of the play by cannavaro and some ravenna player :D, not nesta. regardless, nesta and cannavaro were immense that whole tournament (as well as maldini and the aforementioned iuliano wasn't too bad, he, nesta, and cannavaro were one hell of a back 3), so surely the back line can't share any blame for that tournament, other than a play here or there...but nesta was flawless.

20. vesuvio11

vesuvio11 New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    MONTREAL
    Club:
    Montreal Impact

guys, if i was signore Donadoni i would not take del piero. even though hes a good player he is not part of the winning link this summer and never was. Lippi knew how to use him at best and Donadoni believes that there are other players who can do a better job then him. Enough with del piero! his goal in germany was not necessary! there was no way germany would have tied the game in the dying minutes. Donadoni should pick Cassano, buiTONI! babo natale, palladinho, inzaghi and Amauri if its possible. The midfielders are pretty much easy to tell: master pirlo with de rossi, camora,gattuso, montolivo vergine, aquilani, giovinco is from another planet and ambrosini. the back line is the most interesting! santacroce, canna, matrix, zambrotta, cassetti, gamberini, panucci, and maybe Oddo. in nets its buffon...you dont need subs...

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

If I remember correctly, the day after , the Gazzetta dello sport gave them both a 6.5 rating. I'll have to break out my old newspapers but they were both to blame for that goal. Regardless of how flawless the backline was, they should have never given up that goal especially becuase they were so flawless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myPfWqQzRBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1GncDIKVVg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B1cSM5Xp1s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0If151pOaSc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxN0tMPqozA&feature=related

Which brings us to another point, I've never really been an ADP fan, but if we take into account how flawless Italy's defense was against France in Euro 2000, and then they gave up the last second goal, eventually losing the match, then Alessandro Del Piero's goal was worth a lot more than just icing on the cake. Germany, at that point could have very well scored and tied the game and send the game into OT or PK's. Therefore, I don't think we should discount or disregard ADP's goal aginst GMY all that much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ehbfgISDEU

22. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

no, it wasn't nesta's fault at all, it was canna's and iuliano's...gazzetta can be hard-asses, but 6.5 is pretty good in italian ratings, plus just cause they have them even ratings doesn't mean they were both equally at fault anyways.

23. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Del Piero's shot was the last kick of the match. So if he missed it wouldn't have mattered as the ref would have blown the final whistle. Your really grasping at straws here.

24. The Third Tenor

The Third Tenor Red Card

Jan 15, 2008

This is true, however DP's goal vs Germany came about 10 seconds after the end of the 120minutes (no extra time allotted) whereas the chances vs France were in the 60th and 70th minutes IIRC. Those burials would have, IMO, been more significant as the game vs Germany was likely going to be called right after that shot by DP anyhow.

Nevertheless, it's funny that he was in the EXACT same positioning in all three (the two crucial misses vs France in 2000, and the shot he buried vs Germany in 2006).

25. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan

I know this is a very stupid question.
    But what is the point of the four alternatives? Just to have a back up for each position? So they train for a few days?