23 for March Nations League Window

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Jan 22, 2024.

1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yea probably won’t have Sargent or Adams unfortunately for the March window… maybe not McKennie either

I’d probably go with this XI vs Jamaica

Pulisic - Balogun - Weah
    ———— Reyna———-
    ——— Musah - LDLT
    Rob - Ream - Richards - Scally
    ————— Turner ——-

Midfield depth and choices are really being tested without McKennie and Adams.

Ideal XI for me right now is probably:

Pulisic - Sargent - Weah
    ————- Reyna———
    —— McKennie——
    —————-Adams——
    Rob - Trusty - Richards - Dest
    —————- Turner———

I think Sargent is rapidly developing into the real deal. I imagine he’s in the EPL next year.

I think Trusty is the next left footed CB up. Ream doesn’t have much left. I’ve been very impressed with his rise fro MLS also ran to EPL starter the last few years. Would be cool if Trusty could find another EPL job but if he’s a locked in starter for a promotion challenger like Sheffield United will hope to be next season, that’s a high enough level to still start for the usmnt imo.

I don’t think the rest is controversial.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    --------------------------Balogun-
    --------'-------Pulisic----Reyna-----Weah
    ---------------------Johnny----Musah---
    -----------Jedi-------------------------------Scally
    --------------------Ream-------Richards------
    --------------------------Turner----

Setting up to play through Jamaica, rather than over them, is the way to go.
    Short leashes for Reyna and Balogun.

Winoman repped this.
  3. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine that we don't see Jonny starting against Jamaica. He's playing too well to sit behind LDLT imo.

Kirium, Winoman and RossD repped this.
  4. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I have no idea how anyone can start a rusty Reyna against the insane speed of Jamaica. If there is ever a game where he'd have to do a lot of sprinting and fast running this is it and I can't imagine he's anywhere close to being able to do that.
    Old guy reference here - Was it Richie Williams who had the Orange Traffic Cone nickname? Because that's what Reyna would look like out there.

onefineesq and ifsteve repped this.
  5. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Danny Califf

6. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Williams was ABMOD.

Reyna's got 5 goal contributions in his last 5 appearances, when he also wasn't getting regular minutes. I don't know how you sit him. They aren't whatevs goal contributions either. Assists on both first half goals in the NL Championship win, a brace against Ghana in a friendly, as it turned out a pretty important goal in the NL match at home against T&T.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. How do you sit Reyna?

Easy. Coaches have been doing it for years.

The man has started one club game this season.

I kinda expect a similar starting XI to the 1st leg against T&T, with Pulisic replacing Paredes in the XI. And Scally replacing the suspended Dest.

In that case the front 4 would then be Balogun, Pulisic, Reyna, Tillman.
    It would be Weah as the odd-man out.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will definitely not sit a healthy Weah. Time and time again anytime Weah is missing the team looks noticeably worse.

9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah and Pulisic seem to be the only wingers we can count on right now.

RossD and gomichigan24 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its not that I don't like Weah.

I like all of Reyna, Pulisic, Tillman, and Weah.
    One has to sit for me.

Some might sit Reyna. Some might sit Tillman. Some might sit Weah.

There really is no right or wrong answer. Well, if you're sitting Pulisic then you have the wrong answer. :)

If people want to tell me that we should sit Reyna because he doesn't start enough club games...............well the same can be said for Weah.

11. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't start Reyna against Jamaica for several reasons.
    1. I am not starting a guy who surely can't go 90 minutes (and probably not even 60).
    2. I am not starting a non defending guy in the midfield against Jamaica. Wrong guy IMO.
    3. Reyna would be more effective in the Jamaica game coming off the bench against the tried legs rather than fresh speedsters.
    4. I'd rather give him 30 minutes or maybe the second half and have him fit for the final. No way he can go two full matches.

RossD repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Then you'll have to be the one to tell him. Been there, done that.

thedukeofsoccer and dlokteff repped this.
  13. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    This one is tough. Likely missing both Adams and McKennie means the roster doesn't write itself at all.

Not sure Tillman, Reyna, LDLT can bring enough bite in midfield to deal with Jamaica without two others around them that can. Not sure there are two others. Haven't seen enough of Jonny to know if he can provide that. On the other hand, Maybe Musah can break things up on his own and trust that possession will lead to enough goals to offset a little daylight on staooping transition.

Except US possession doesn't actually lead to chances. Sigh.

If I really wanted a wrinkle, maybe put Richards behind Musah and Tillman. Probably overthinking, but when would be a better time?

TimB4Last repped this.
  14. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think Reyna should start just so he doesn't get pissy? If he hasn't learned its about the team yet then he never will. And for the record I think he's learned it. I just don't think its the right tactical move to start him against Jamaica but I sure as hell am NOT starting him because I think he will be upset if he doesn't.

Yowza repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We haven't had Adams since WC22. We've coped. Actually, we've won the Nations League twice without him starting.

I think its as simple as saying this is an opportunity to see what Johnny has.
    He does already have 9 caps. He's been part of the group.

If we want to start Johnny, Berhalter has talked about him relatively recently.
    Gregg Berhalter explains how breakout star Johnny Cardoso fits into the USMNT's midfield | FOX Sports

We could easily write a "double pivot" in a 4-2-3-1 with Johnny as part of that midfield pair with Musah.

Against Jamaica at home? Sure.

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither have played well enough for the USMNT against decent comp to be trusted in a competitive match v. Jamaica. In addition to club play often not translating, specifically La Liga produces some anomalies because of its lack of athleticism and gradual pace style to cater to it. Then we're talking about an opponent here with the most athleticism of anyone in the world. Even Antonee Robinson, who is an athlete, struggled badly against them, twice. These players need to earn their stars & stripes.

I'm starting a midfield of Musah-McKennie-Reyna again, and it's not a hard choice for me, if they're available. Brenden Aaronson would be my 4th option. Malik Tillman is my 5th. If Sands warrants being there at all, he'd be a higher option than Cardoso and LDLT. In LDLT's case, he has to do almost a 180 against better comp. And that would have to be determined very cautiously, over time. When it comes to Cardoso, he seems to have improved a lot since his early struggles for the USMNT teams. But his integration should still be a process.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think people are making the assumption that McKennie isn't going to be available.
    We haven't heard anything definitive about it.

We can certainly put him in the questionable category right now.

That's where the Johnny talk is coming in.
    I can totally see Berhalter plaiyng Johnny and Musah as a double pivot in a 4-2-3-1. With Pulisic, Reyna, and one of Tillman/Weah as the attacking trio in front of them.

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of those four Tillman will be the one who ends up sitting.

gogorath repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not as convinced of that as you are. :)

tomásbernal and RossD repped this.
  20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If McKennie is out along with Adams it’s probably a midfield of Reyna, Musah, and Cardoso. And the backups on the roster are LDLT, Tillman, and Maloney. I do think it sort of picks itself.

And Reyna probably won’t be able to go 90 but that’s what you have Tillman for off the bench.

gogorath and Winoman repped this.
  21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why. It's McKennie. He regenerates in a few days.

In the oft chance he's not available, I got BA nominally next to Musah, telling Yunus to sit, outside of driving runs with the ball. BA should try to drop in his place. And Scally should hang back on his side. That's the luxury of not having to worry about Dest's adventurousness.

This was the exact same grouping as our last UNL final win vs. Canada - Gio, BA, Musah, Scally.

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The system doesn’t work without Weah. No one else effectively provides width like he does and it showed every time in qualifying he was missing (including both the Canada games).

glutton4Bolts and ifsteve repped this.
  23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    People wanting to start Tillman is crazy.

Tillman has looked dog water in every single US appearance he’s had and the Jamaica game is a must win…

Meanwhile, Reyna has been consistently great for the US.

24. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If McKennie is available I am not starting either one of them!

25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tillman is playing and producing for his club... including CL play. Reyna didn't even get 10 minutes in a Cup game even though they are facing relegation. I am not saying past USMNT performances don't count... because you are right; Tillman has not been good for the USMNT (especially his last start) and Gio has produced since the WC. But Reyna is just not playing enough minutes for his club. I am cool with you putting your confidence in Gio, but to call others "crazy" for considering current club form isn't right. IMO, it is a tough call.

RossD and ifsteve repped this.