23 for March Nations League Window

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tessmann is on there.

zlatan_but_a_car and gomichigan24 repped this.
  2. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I've always liked Green, just my bias. Looks like he's mostly played at DM this year. For us I could see him competing favorably with the likes of Acosta and Aidan Morris. And perhaps better than Tessman as well.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/julian-green/leistungsdaten/spieler/161204

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I've just recently recovered after his phenomenal performance with MNT.

4. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like my namesake made the list. Never would’ve dreamed it even 6 months ago.

Winoman, Maximum Optimal and gogorath repped this.
  5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also an interesting list, the following players were on the NL provisional roster last year but not this year

Erik Palmer-Brown
    Jalen Neal
    Matt Miazga
    Aaron Long
    John Tolkin
    Julian Gressel
    Marlon Fossey
    James Sands
    Richy Ledezma
    Alan Soñora
    Jackson Yueill
    Djordje Mihailovic
    Paxton Pomykal
    Cristian Roldán
    Paul Arriola
    Tyler Boyd
    Matthew Hoppe

keller4president repped this.
  6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I love the middle names on these roster releases.

Aidan Zen Patrick Morris was unexpected.

7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I admit to being a bit of a hater, but he's simply too slow and a bit too much of a black hole in possession for me. He's secure, but tends to hold on to it too long -- so slow both in foot speed and reactions. I think that's always why he's done well in B2 but was replaced by Tim Tillman when his team went up -- the B2 is much less athletic and much more grind it out than the Bundesliga (or international ball) and you often see teams retool pretty heavily when yoyoing because of it.

And if I'm not having top end talent, I'm always going to lean defensive. It's largely an irrelevant discussion, though as he's clearly nowhere near a De la Torre, Musah or Johnny at this point. (Or for me, Acosta.)

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Julian Green has also been called up once in the last 5 years. It's not a snub when he's excluded, it's just normal.

tomásbernal, RossD, majspike and 2 others repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Berhalter has called him up and passed.
    Why? We're not sure.

...................but it's clear that Green isn't in the picture.

10. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    What about Rokas Pukstas? Too young?

theboogeyman repped this.
  11. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Marlon Fossey? Maximilian Dietz?

12. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it safe to assume this list is broken into rough approximation of (we’ll call them) A and B teams at #30, with an awkward two-man tag of Brooks and Kamungo to stir **** up?

I haven’t seen the story behind the release of this list, i.e. if it was “leaked” or what, but it does seem strange not to alphabetize the whole thing if it was intended for public consumption. Not that it’d be the first snafu of the sort by this manager.

Just asking, as we don’t always see these preliminary rosters released; the backstory might be as interesting as the roster itself.

TimB4Last repped this.
  13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we don't know is the group of players who the NT staff ranks as in top 60 or so, but is not under consideration for the NL because they are in the plans for the Olympics.

But Pukstas is still more a prospect.

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like the provisional roster is usually made public (and has been for the other teams as well).

tomásbernal repped this.
  15. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory is admittedly hazy on this. I do vaguely recall a couple annoyingly withheld preliminary tournament rosters over the decades while other nations released theirs. But I can’t remember which ones or why, so I defer.

TimB4Last repped this.
  16. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I'd take Fossey over Shaq Moore or Cannon at right back.

As for CB's on this roster, the options are Ream, Richards, CCV, Robinson, McKenzie, Zimmerman, and Brooks. I'd have taken Dietz over Zimmerman at this point, who's not even starting for Nashville.

17. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I think Neal would have been on it if he wasnt injured

Winoman, theboogeyman and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least more recently (since at least 2021), CONCACAF has been releasing them.

But FIFA didn’t release it for the World Cup for instance.

TimB4Last and TheRightPants repped this.
  19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is what I am trying to figure out. I really hope they have already decided Tolkin is going to the Olympics, as an example.

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very notable omissions, especially considering many injured players were on list….

#1 Brian Gutierrez - If Cremaschi and Booth weren’t injured, it would be excusable. But considering that both are injured, and the fact we still have to see Jordan Morris, this omission is inexcusable.

#2 Marlon Fossey - Come on now… Shaq Moore is rated over Marlon Fossey? Are you even watching the game? We need right back depth, and Fossey might be our third best right back in the pool. And all it might take is to slide Dest to the left and play Paredes on the wing, and all of a sudden, Fossey could be a player on our best 23 man roster. Maybe he’s outside the 23 right now. But he’s one thousand percent should be on a 60 man roster.

#3 James Sands - Sands was arguably the best player for us in the last Gold Cup. He can play center back or defensive mid. I don’t necessarily think he’s close right now to making the 23 man roster BUT a 60 man roster, he’s on that all day.

#4 Rokas Puktsas - If there’s a young European stud we don’t want to lose, not named Luca Koleosho, it’s probably got to be Rokas Puktsas who has been aspiring to bigger and greener pastures soon enough.

#5 Chris Brady or Roman Celentano - Simple. Who would you choose to be your 8th string keeper right now, Sean Johnson? Or Chris Brady or Roman Celentano? Give the young guys some love. Johnson had his time. It’s time to move on. Between Brady or Celentano; that’s tough. But to be honest, I might have selected both over Zack Steffen who looked shell shocked against Portland in his debut.

#6 Jack McGlynn - Again. Injuries. Why not give McGlynn a nod if other players are sure to not be there due to injury. Doesn’t make sense. But he could still be an odd man out, especially with a fully fit roster.

#7 Emmanuel Sabbi - If I had to pick a player that I know isn’t going to be there due to injury, then, why not at least give Sabbi a nod that you see him, even if he’s still a ways away from the 23 man roster? Doesn’t make sense. That said, he might not make a best 60 man roster with a fully fit line up.

#8 John Tolkin - Speaking of injured players, I don’t know if he’s carrying an injury, because he missed NYRB’s opener, but he’s the best left back in MLS, he’s young, and he’s too good to ignore. I would think he’s closer to making a 23 man roster than he would be missing a 60 man roster.

#9 Duncan McGuire or Kahveh Zahiroslalem - Cheating some by naming 2, but this is a pick of best underrated Olympic eligible forward, which, both seem to be promising players, even if it’s not too much of an omission if they’re not there.

#10 Noel Buck - At least reach out to the young Buck. He’s one of the most promising midfielders in the pool, and he could be a key player for the senior team in a few years.

Surprised/glad to see that John Brooks and Reggie Cannon haven’t been totally ruled out. Wasn’t really too surprised other than that. There are only a few holdovers of players that we know Berhalter held onto for too long but have consistently proven to not be good enough (Johnson, Moore, Morris).

Oh, and new/newish kids on the block….

Diego Kochen (glad to see, especially after scare that he could play for Spain)

Esmir Bajraktarevic (glad to see, especially since he still flirts with B&H)

Griffin Yow (deserves a shout)

Others… Kamungo, Wiley, Reynolds, Maloney, Busio, Tessmann, Luna, etc.

That said, my 23 from this group….

GK Matt Turner, Gabriel Slonina, Diego Kochen
    RB Joe Scally, Sergino Dest
    CB Chris Richards, John Brooks
    CB Miles Robinson, Mark McKenzie
    LB Jedi Robinson, Kevin Paredes
    MF Yunus Musah, Lennard Maloney
    MF Johnny Cardoso, Luca de la Torre
    RM Tim Weah, Brenden Aaronson
    AM Gio Reyna, Malik Tillman
    LM Christian Pulisic (CPT), Paxten Aaronson
    FW Folarin Balogun, Ricardo Pepi

Really hated to cut: Sargent, Vazquez, Cowell, Yow, Busio, Tessman, A. Morris, Trusty, Walker, Ream, Jones, CCV, Callender, Lund, Schulte

Remember that they’re INJURED: McKennie, Adams, Booth, Cremaschi, and Ferreira. CCV is back, Zimmerman’s healthy has been wonky.

Of note, I decided to take a chance on Brooks again. Trusty is battling relegation. Zimmerman’s health has been off. Ream could use the rest. Just seems like a good time to give Brooks a shout.

Finally, I guess Berhalter counts Paredes as a fullback. Makes sense, I guess.

21. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's injured but expected back soon. Zimmerman was also an anchor last year for the MLS team that gave up the fewest goals and will immediately slot back into the starting lineup when healthy. This is all pretty easy to look up.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omission from what?

What is it I’m missing. This is a prelim pool for a set of two games next month. About 2/3 of that list will not be on the roster.

Im a huge fan of someone like Gutierrez but he’s not playing on our NL squad next month. Just not at that level yet obviously. How is he any kind of an omission.

gogorath repped this.
  23. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    He's an omission in that he is omitted from the 60 man list.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A list of players for two games, not publicly accounting for plans for the Olympics.

Means little.

gogorath repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. None of those omissions are particularly notable.

Particularly in the context of the Olympic camp.

Berhalter probably can already name his Nations League roster. Then there are the couple of bubble guys in his mind in case of injury.

The rest of the players on that provisional list, probably 30 of them.......................is a little meaningless. I actually don't know why they release these provisional lists to the public.

Could Berhalter have put Gutierrez or Pukstas on there instead of Kochen or Cremaschi or whatnot? Yes. It doesn't really matter at all. I would imagine that our Olympic and U20 coaches have already been in touch with all of the players in those groups. A guy like Pukstas or Gutierrez or Brady or McGuire probably already knows he's wanted at the Olympic camp in France. Not being on this Nations League roster has no meaning to them.

And it also doesn't matter if a guy like Arriola or Miazga or whomever isn't there. If they go out and perform well in the MLS season, then there is a path back into the group. Performance has to be there.

This isn't some sort of list by Berhalter of the only guys he wants to work with this year.

gomichigan24 repped this.