22,000 sold for US women

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by 3rd Degree, Nov 1, 2003.

1. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DALLAS BURN PRESS RELEASE

US WOMEN'S NATIONAL TEAM VS. MEXICO
    SUNDAY AT 3:00 P.M. AT COTTON BOWL
    Over 22,000 Tickets Already Sold For US Women's Last Match of 2003

DALLAS - The US Women's National Team will play its final match of the 2003 when it faces regional rival Mexico on Sunday, November 2 at 3:00 p.m. at the Cotton Bowl. Over 22,000 tickets have already been sold for the match, which will feature superstar forward Mia Hamm along with Brandi Chastain, Kristine Lilly, Julie Foudy and Joy Fawcett.
    Tickets for the game, which is being presented by Avaya, can be purchased by calling the Burn office at 214-979-0303 or through Ticketmaster at 214-373-8000. Fans can also purchase tickets at the Dallas Burn office located at 14800 Quorum Drive, Suite 300. Ticket prices start as low as $20 and go up in range to $120.
    Hamm, the world's all-time leading scorer with 144 goals, has strong ties to Texas. She attended Notre Dame High School in Wichita Falls, Texas, and was first brought into the U.S. Women's National Team after having been seen playing in the Texas ODP system. She also maintains an off-season home in Austin. U.S. forward Tiffeny Milbrett, who scored the clinching goal in the 3-1 win over Canada, comes into the match needing just one more goal to become the fifth player in the history of international soccer to score 100 goals. She came very close in the USA's match against Italy, but instead Dallas soccer fans may be treated to a slice of soccer history. The USA has a 9-0-0 all-time record against Mexico, including a 5-0 win at Spartan Stadium San Jose, Calif. in the final match before the 2003 Women's World Cup. Mexico's best game against the USA came in Texas as the Americans were down 2-1 before two Cindy Parlow goals earned the victory in front of more than 11,000 fans on Dec. 10, 2000 in Houston.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Only 22, 000 have been sold thus far? I would have expected much more than that, not taking into account the walk up crowd. What are Sam's-Army's numbers expected to be?

3. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Why did you expect more? A meaningless friendly against a low profile opponent is rivaling what the World Cup was getting for the USWNT.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I dunno.... I guess I just expected at least 23, 000 sold thus far....

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL, well sorry we couldn't get a grand more, what a disaster.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    hehe.... soldier on mate!

7. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Actually the DMN is reporting 25,000 sold as of yesterday so your expectations have been exceeded. Pretty interesting article at dallasnews.com on why Dallas hasn't been a stop for national games over the last decade.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    hmmm..... I meant to say 26, 000 ? :)

9. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well there will be people there yelling and being crazy so don't worry about that.

worry more for those who will hear us.

Also I have talked to a few people and they plan on walkign up for tickets.

I'll try to give a crowd report tomorrow evening to try and break down what kind of crowd it was(soccer moms, kids, pro american, anti american, hardcore, etc...)

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Thanx Rugby writer mate guy person! :)

11. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Over 23k showed up.

85-90% were Pro US
    the rest were mexico fans, but it didn't show.

Of the US fans, the West side was filled with Mia fans. 45% of the crowd was pro Mia.

The game went by so fast.

No I will not mention the score here because there is no R in the title.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    the telecast showed a crap load of soccer moms and their 30 kids.... but what about the 10 guys of Sam's Army that showed up??!!!

13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, we were there. drums, chants, and being crazy.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were only eight Sam's Army there (which is about par for the course for US women's games), but we sang like there were at least 12 of us.

And ArsenalTexan3 got Abby Wambach's phone number, but he didn't believe us that it was probably fake because it began with "555."

15. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Very true on the singing. We gave it our all.

Yes ElJefe, when Soccerlube told me he got her number and it began with 555, he had to have made it up. In fact i think the beer at the Cotton Bowl was a bit stronger than he magined. No wonder everyone wants to go back the Cotton Bowl. The beer is stronger!

But hey Abby did do the airplane motion when she was leaving. I think it meant something. ;)

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the final chapter of the Cotton Bowl soccer memories comes to an end, man I'm gonna miss that place. Now we must start the book on Frisco and all that it may bring (more US action hopefully, haven't seen the men since I was a little kid.)

17. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Having 23,000 people in the stands for a meaningless game should prove to the USSF that Dallas does deserve a men's WCQ. I am tired of the area being overlooked when it comes to important national team games or for that matter any national team games.

18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    usually I blame it on the fact that we may have more fans for the opposing team, but if we don't get the home game against Canada, then theres something wrong with US Soccer ;)

19. soccerlube

soccerlube Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Gonzales, TX
    ,Arsenal, We had a deal, I get Abby's number and you get Aly's number for me ... which probably was fake and started with 555

That was the BEST beer I've ever had!
    Burn back to the Bowl!

20. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Have you been drinking the water from sucklake? I never made that deal. Deal, smeal.

21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    maybe the most important thing about 20 + thousand turning out for a meaningless friendly is the fact that the cowboys in texas stadium (a game that was going on at the same time - according to rob stone) didn't seem to bring the soccer numbers way down as it usually does.

how did that happen?
    why was the game even scheduled at the same date and approximate time?

22. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No idea how it happened or why they did it. I know of one couple who would have been at the game, but had already bought tickets to the cowboy game.

Still, was not a bad turn out even if it did sound like a teeny bopper concert whenever Mia touched the ball. They even did a USA chant on their own at one point. :eek:

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yes about 50 10 year old girls chanting USA USA, we really need a new chant for this country. Ooo, if we get more Nat. games I'll have to buy a new jersey, I think I was the only one in the light blue '95 third kit yesterday ;)

24. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam's Army, etc.

Eight? Dustin, me, Arsenal, Laura, Janice, Dan, Christine, Rags, the guy whose name I simply can't remember (soccerlube?), Bazan - looks closer to 10, but who is bickering? ;)

But yeah, Laura's mom (who sat at the top of the section) said she could hear us just fine, and I saw some real dirty looks from some Mexico fans in sections one over in both directions when we did the "Mejor que los Hombres" chant.

So it was good. Personally, I liked the "It's just like back in Jeonju!" and the "Brianna, do you want a good book/beer?" chants.

Also, Vijay confirmed that it was Tiffeny Milbrett who mentioned us/me to Shannon, who then came over to give me her shoes, sign them, then sign my jersey. Talk about a Portugal Moment.

25. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Sam's Army, etc.

1. It was soccerlube they guy you don't know.

2. It was lets get brianna a hamock(sp).

Burning 247, now explain to me why you go to the games and don't hang out with the cool people? ;)