211 To 1: World Cup 2022 Elimination Timeline [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by EvanJ, Jun 7, 2019.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Didn't look like they all did to me. In any case I couldn't see the point of the show. A forfeit is a forfeit. I suppose it gave the crowd something to watch.

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Zealand are 1-0 against Fiji. If this result holds, we say goodbye to New Caledonia tonight

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    61. Cook Islands (if they resume playing, I'll renumber)

60. New Caledonia

New Zealand won 4-0. They have 6 points, Papua New Guinea and Fiji have 3, and New Caledonia has 0. Since Papua New Guinea and Fiji play each other, New Caledonia cannot pass both.

The 59 teams are 21 in UEFA, 10 in CAF, 9 in AFC (including Qatar), 8 in CONMEBOL, 6 in Concacaf, and 5 in OFC.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to the possible eliminations I typed in Post 444, UEFA will eliminate the losers of Italy vs. North Macedonia, Portugal vs. Turkey, Sweden vs. Czech Republic, and Wales vs. Austria. Scotland vs. Ukraine was postponed, and hopefully Ukraine will be able to play in June.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/me...ry-competition-for-the-fifa-world-cup-2022-tm has decisions FIFA made. With Cook Islands and Vanuatu out, Solomon Islands' win over Cook Islands will not count in the Group A standings. It will count in the FIFA Rankings. Solomon Islands vs. Tahiti tomorrow will decide who gets first and who gets second, and it cannot be a draw. Extra time and penalty kicks will be played if necessary. Solomon Islands would have gotten a clean disciplinary record, but they did not get any cards against Cook Islands to need it. Solomon Islands vs. Tahiti will be played before the Group B, so New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Fiji will know the scenarios for who they play if they finish first and who they play if they finish second. AFC cannot have eliminations tomorrow until after its last game, which is Iraq vs. UAE. That will be played at the same time as OFC's Group B, although if Solomon Islands vs. Tahiti needs extra time, the OFC games could start later.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conmebol is in for an interesting last 2 games. I remember staying up till the wee hours in 2017 watching the final day showdown with Paraguay blowing it at home to Venezuela I believe it was and Peru + Colombia qualifying for the playoff and WC respectively together.

Tomorrow, some interesting elimination scenarios. Ecuador should join Brazil and Argentina someway or another and are guaranteed at least a playoff. After that you've got Uruguay in 4th on 22 points, Peru 21, Chile 19, Colombia 19, and Bolivia 17. To make matters even more interesting, tomorrow Uruguay play Peru at home, Chile are away to Brazil, while Colombia host Bolivia. Chile can't be eliminated tomorrow. However, Bolivia need to beat Colombia and hope Peru don't win in Uruguay in order to not get eliminated. Colombia will stay alive with a win, but a draw between Colombia and Bolivia will eliminate both teams if Peru don't lose Uruguay. Both teams will also be eliminated should Bolivia win and Peru not lose to Uruguay.

EvanJ, IASocFan and Dr. Gamera repped this.
  7. Itiofele

Itiofele Member

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Jan 1, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Fiji and PNG are 1-1 at halftime, but Fiji is down to 10 men. From this match we will get team # 59.

8. Itiofele

Itiofele Member

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Jan 1, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sorry, forgot that Iraq and UAE are playing at the same time. They are currently 0-0, which would eliminate Iraq. Let's see whether this match ends first.

9. pjdonald

pjdonald Member

Dec 7, 2005
    59. Fiji

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fiji needed to win and lost to Papua New Guinea 2-1.

Iraq won 1-0 hosting UAE. Iraq had 1 win in 8 games in this rounds before today. I wonder if a team has ever started a group with no more than one win in eight games in qualified, but Iraq is extremely unlikely to qualify because even if they move up to third, they have to beat Australia and a CONMEBOL team in June. A win or draw by UAE would have eliminated Iraq and Lebanon. Now UAE (9 points, ends hosting first place Korea Republic), Iraq (8 points, ends against last place Syria in Dubai), and Lebanon (6 points, ends at second place Iran) are alive. Lebanon trails UAE by 5 goal differential, so Lebanon could be eliminated even if they win, UAE loses, and Iraq draws or lose. Iraq trails UAE by 5 goal differential, so Iraq needs a win and a UAE draw or loss. If Iraq draws and UAE loses, UAE will win the tiebreaker. Matchday 10 does not have games in a group at the same time. Iran vs. Lebanon is first, then UAE vs. South Korea, and then Syria vs. Iraq in Dubai. Lebanon must win. A UAE draw would eliminate Lebanon if they are still alive, and a UAE win would eliminate Iraq before they play and Lebanon if they are still alive. Because Lebanon is unlikely to win and catch UAE's goal differential, for UAE a draw is as bad as a loss because both allow Iraq to win and pass them.

55 through 58 will be in UEFA today. All of the games are at the same time, and I hope somebody notes what order they end in.

11. pjdonald

pjdonald Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Iraq was 0 wins in 8 tries before today.

EvanJ and Every Four Years repped this.
  12. Itiofele

Itiofele Member

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Jan 1, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Just in case, the second halves started in the following order:
    • Portugal-Turkey
    • Sweden-Czechia
    • Italy-North Macedonia
    • Wales-Austria
    Of course, we have no idea how many minutes of added time each game will have.

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  14. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    58. Austria
    57. Turkey
    56. Italy

This was the order.

15. Itiofele

Itiofele Member

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Jan 1, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That is correct.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #466 EvanJ, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Sorry. I saw the standings after the game but didn't take today's win out of what I said for wins before today. If every game was a draw, every team in a group of six would have 10 points, so that is the minimum amount of points to be in the top three. If Iraq wins and advances, they will have 11 points. This is the eighth World Cup with wins being 3 points, and Group A broke the record for fewest points by a third place team in a group with ten games and wins worth 3. 13 points was done several times. The most third can have is 12 if UAE wins.

Watching the end of Italy's loss, I didn't see the order games ended, so I'm happy other people did. Sweden vs. Czech Republic is scoreless in extra time, and the winner will play Poland. Now the question is if North Macedonia can stop Cristiano Ronaldo from another World Cup. Italy's failure means that if Portugal qualifies and doesn't get passed in the FIFA Rankings, they will be in Pot 1. If Portugal doesn't qualify, Denmark is next in line for Pot 1, but if Mexico or USA has three great games, they could pass Denmark. Qatar, Belgium, Brazil, France, Argentina, England, and Spain will be in Pot 1.

17. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Austria lost a few seconds before Turkey (Portugal's 3rd goal delayed the end a bit). Italy a minute later.

Thank me for having two stream tabs and the TV at the same time.:ROFLMAO:

rabble-rabble repped this.
  18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    55. Czech Republic (Sweden scored the only goal in the 110th)

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Jeez

Four years ago...

voiceoflg and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice find! :D

Next team to go could be El Salvador should they fail to beat Jamaica in the game that's just started.

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Salvador leads 1-0, and that and the CONMEBOL games won't eliminate anybody if the scores hold. To end the night alive, El Salvador needs Panama to not win hosting last place Honduras, and Costa Rica to not win hosting first place Canada.

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Bolivia will be eliminated

23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    54. El Salvador

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica 1-1 El Salvador eliminated El Salvador, who needed to win. The rest of the night won't have any more eliminations in Concacaf.

I saw eighth place was leading, and I knew that CONMEBOL had two teams eliminated before today. I neglected to notice that I was looking at standings including the games in progress, which had Bolivia pass previously eliminated Paraguay.

25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Boliva should be our final one for the night.