'21-'22 Sheffield Wednesday FC

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by pookspur, May 8, 2021.

1. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

A random Dick Allen pic for your enjoyment.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    But ... he missed the pileup.

I wouldn't have minded a Heckingbottom shirt either, actually, if one could find one from the right season with the right fonts, and such. That is, before he went to manage the Pigs.

I rather liked Ross Wallace as a player when he was there, but having seen an interview or two where he speaks fairly candidly about Carlos, the Chairman, and being at Wednesday ... frankly, he comes off like a douche.

IvanIV repped this.
  3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #28 pookspur, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    That was from the cover of Sports Illustrated when I was a kid. '72, proabably. I loved Dick Allen in Chicago. And those are my all-time favorite baseball unis. Ever. Period. No questions asked. With their roads from the same time a close second.

... now that I think about it, that's not a 'random Dick Allen' pic, at all. That is the iconic Dick Allen pic. :D I wonder how many people - like myself - have that image pop into mind whenever the name Dick Allen comes up. Bad ass dude ... batting helmet (which he wore, even in the field) ... juggling baseballs ... ciggie dangling ... AL MVP ... chilled ... :cool::cool::cool:

I love Dick Allen, me.

IvanIV repped this.
  4. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Iconic.

As for Wallace, I've seen those same interviews and I don't agree with him on CC. I forgive him though. Obviously he'll never play for us again so that is water under bridge.

COMPLETELY AGREED on those ChiSox unis. The best they've ever worn.

5. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No news is good news... ?

Honestly though I'm not even looking for any news on us...

So maybe ignorance is bliss...?

7. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @pookspur @Myshoe

This was kinda interesting:

https://knowrivalry.com/league/championship/

The good folks at that site are compiling data about team rivalries. They seem to have included most sports and the many different levels of some of them, i.e. EPL, Championship, etc etc.

Not sure when they started compiling their data though as they still have us listed in the Championship* and the pigs in the Prem. But that isn't a problem you can toggle to other divisions to find your rival.

I did the survey for us, of course I chose the pigs as our biggest rival.

I also did one for the San Francisco Giants, and of cours I chose the Dodgers as our biggest rival.

*They've been all over me at Owlstalk about this...

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I saw that a month or two back (on OO, probably). If it's what I think it is, I started to take it but stopped before I got through it, as I had somewhere to go or something to do. I figured I'd get back to it, but never did.

And now I have. To be honest, I've answered everything as though I were a Wednesday fan - which I technically am not. But it's not difficult to surmise the 'correct' answers. So that's done.

What have they been all over you about? The Giants/Dodgers thing? What the hell do they know about the Giants and the Dodgers?

... also ... I didn't realize it was for other sports/leagues/divisions. It just came up Championship, so I did it for Wednesday. I probably should've found the Prem and done it for Spurs, but whatever. It would've come out the exact same way in terms of what they're looking for.

IvanIV repped this.
  9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Ok, I've just had a look. Nothing to do with Giants/Dodgers, more the wrong division thing. Yes, it was done prior to relegation, as I saw it months ago. But I'm guessing they're giving you a bit of 'no duh' in regard to that suggestion, as it's fairly obvious. Frankly, they come off a bit douchey. Folks on OO are constantly ragging on the folks on OT, but I don't give it much thought, as some of them do the same about OA, which I'd take every day of the week if it were still around.

Like every club, Wednesday has its share of meatheads amongst the support.

IvanIV repped this.
  10. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to do the RAIDERS one here in a bit... Who do you think the biggest rival will be @pookspur ...?

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #37 pookspur, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

12. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right! THE BRONCOS!

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That's actually what I would've figured, but it's been so long since I've paid attention ... hell, I don't even know if they're in the same division anymore. And I have no idea if there's any kind of rivalry between them and the 49ers. They probably seldom play each other, but in the 80s, SF would've clearly overtaken them in terms of 'pride of the Bay area', or whatever one might call it. I could see where local fans* might opt for the 'niners.

I don't mean this as snarky as it sounds, but I really know so little about it anymore that I truly don't care. My interest in the NFL left with Otis Armstrong. :D

*seriously, it's only just now, after typing all that, that I've realized that they aren't in Oakland anymore. Maybe they may have developed a rivalry with the Rams when they were both in LA ... uh ... unless the Rams had already moved to St Louis by then. I have no idea. I just don't follow this stuff. Like, at all.

IvanIV repped this.
  14. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I sure do. When we (Spurs) took him off Palace it was kind of a big deal. I don't remember the details, but they got rather small compensation, and Spurs were getting the new Maradona. He just never panned out. We loaned him out, but he never came good anywhere and eventually we moved him on. One of those loans was to Wednesday, where I was obviously really rooting for him.

I actually saw one of the four games he played for Wednesday. It was a 2-1 win over Yeovil Town in League 1 in the Winter of 2012. Jon Obika and Dean Parret, playing for Yeovil, were also on loan from Spurs, so I was watching all three of them fairly closely. Obika looked lively (at least in the first half) and scored theirs. Bostock was utterly anonymous.

John Bostock ... Jimmy Smith ... Tom Soares ... the three big loanees at Wednesday I'd had very high hopes for.* None of 'em did anything there.

*oh, and Stu Holden. He looked much better than the others, but then injury ruled him out after only a couple games.

IvanIV repped this.
  16. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Stu Holden kit is one of my faves.

17. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Macron are making our kit!!

I'm very excited about this!

18. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    When the fixtures first came out, I naturally began my Summer ritual of scouring all of them pursuant to a possible jaunt over in the Fall.* These things always begin with a look at Spurs' and Wednesday's overlapping games for a starting point. I have to be honest. Much as I claim that it really doesn't matter what division you're in, I have to admit that 3rd tier fixtures are a helluva lot less enticing than in the Championship. Shrewsbury or Oxford is my most likely day at Hillsborough, with Wigan or Cambridge away possibilities. Those don't exactly get the blood pumping, truth be told.

*except last year, of course. Thanks covid.

IvanIV repped this.
  20. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pfft. Yeah, thanks Covid.

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You should go over, bro. Let me know what dates work for you, and I'll sort my end. We can get plenty of the OA crowd out for a pint. Arrest any excuses before they start. YOLO. We'll be dead before you know it. Just do it.

IvanIV repped this.
  22. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YOLO!

23. IvanIV