2026 World Cup (very) early roster predictions

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Dec 5, 2022.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would not be a bad roster...
    I was very tempted to put Tsakiris on my roster, but I'm a Quakes fan and want to be unbiased
    (unlike USSF and the Berhalter boys I'm trying to avoid even the perception of impropriety)
    I'm having a hard time picturing LDLT on the 2026 roster with all the talent coming up...

Boysinblue repped this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    W/re: to Dest. He's already been a regular / starter at three of the biggest clubs. Even with improved options, it's hard to imagine two guys with better resumes.

ARob tailed off in the WC because he ran his tail off in the first two games. There aren't a lot of guys as fast as he is who are left footed. I can imagine him being surpassed but don't see the numbers there to do it.

3. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I feel like Busio, Sands, and Alan Sonora should probably be on the long list.

Busio, in particular, seems like he's being written off prematurely for 2026. I imagine that a lot of very good Italian players were still slogging their way through Serie B at age 20 (Jorginho is one example).

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like Busio is being written off by fans a bit (at least for now, obviously 3.5 years is a long time) because Tessmann seems to have overshadowed him over the last few weeks... people do forget how young Busio is because of how long he's been around, he's a year younger than Tessmann whreas it feels like it should be the opposite.

Zinkoff and RossD repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough decision, find a new coach or retain Gregg and send a "better things aren't possible" message?

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its weird that Cremaschi has all of a sudden become a celebrity on this board. A fringe US U20. As if it'll be some crisis if we lose Ben Cremaschi. It's all so Big Soccer. Nobody has actually seen him play at an MLS level, and they're worried. On a 2026 World Cup prediction thread we're talking about Ben Cremaschi. Ben Cremaschi!!!

Being a dual-national doesn't separate Cremaschi from most in our pool. The attackers we selected for the U20 team are dual nats too. Tsakiris, Pusktas, and those guys. Hell, Quinn Sullivan is reportedly a dual German citizen. Cade Cowell, Kevin Paredes, Ricardo Pepi, Jonathan Gomez, Gabriel Slonina weren't selected for that U20 team. All dual-nationals too.

Don't get me wrong. I like Cremaschi. But we'll have American-born players on MOST of the teams at the U20 CONMEBOL Championships. I really like the central midfielder Morales of Atlanta United that was called up by Bolivia U20s. We had American-born players on many of the teams at the U20 CONCACAF Championships. There are people who love Edison Azcona of the Dominican Republic.

But anyway, I've digressed from the topic of this thread.

Zinkoff and gomichigan24 repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dual national recruiting is actually one of the things Berhalter is very good at though. Not to say that another coach wouldn't also be good at it, but I don't think retaining Berhalter is going to hurt these recruitments.

xbhaskarx and no exit repped this.
  8. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    While I think you’d take the field to make it over Luca, he has to be the most likely non-MMA CM/DM to be selected. I did have someone else in over him at first but they are basically where he was 3 years ago without any major talent advantage. I don’t see him going the way of a Mix or a Corona.

xbhaskarx and gomichigan24 repped this.
  9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predictions at this point will almost surely just result in a very good laugh in 3 years.

Bajoro, TheHoustonHoyaFan and russ repped this.
  10. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Busio’s year has not gone well. I thought people got a bit ahead of themselves with him last season, although there was a decent stretch. I do not see him getting bought off of his current level. I also think there’s a good chance he does not fit the profile the next manager wants. If Berhalter stays that’s probably good for him because he’s “part of the group”.

For me Sands would have to make the switch to the 6 to make it. I think he gets time but without an injury crisis I don’t see it.

Alan Sonora could easily be on the end of his position group.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I actually think I'd put my money on a Taylor Booth (or maybe a Pomykal). Neither is really a like for like for Musah, and de la Torre is pretty close in terms of playing style.

But I'm not sure de la Torre has a ton of upside. He'll be 28 in 2026, which is obviously fine, but his competition who is early 20s right now will be hitting anywhere from 24-26 as well. We don't have a ton of 8s but I do think there's a decent opening (as you said).

I think Booth may have a talent advantage, if that is who you are thinking of.

Boysinblue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  12. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I think it's more, stalling out over there, and concerns about his ability to hold up defensively. Nobody doubts his passing, set piece delivery etc, it's more the matador issues centrally make him a non-starter which is why going to Italy could be so helpful, maybe. He could be relevant, or he could totally vanish, we'll see. I'm on the not relevant bet side of things long term, but to have a guy w/his skill set not be good enough (for now anyway) for even the second or third tier options of a USMNT through say 36 spots is a good thing in terms of our depth. I definitely hope and pray he pans out though.

RossD and largegarlic repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah we're talking about Cremaschi, because he could be on the 2026 roster. It's very likely that a few random YNT guys will be on it, it's just a question of which ones, and Cremaschi is currently one of the hot names. Of course any current roster prediction is a snapshot at a random moment in time 3.5 years out. Names will continue to pop up or fall off the radar.

I say all that as someone who does NOT have Cremaschi on my roster.

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As mentioned earlier, the Scuffed podcast recently had an episode where they drafted prospects for the 2026 World Cup:
    https://scuffed.simplecast.com/episodes/351-a-draft-of-usmnt-prospects-and-late-bloomers-for-2026

Episode 6 of the podcast from April 10 2018 was a similar draft for the 2022 World Cup. I went back and listened to it again... Belz is impressed that the prospect guru guy has Nick Taitague and Andrew Carleton as his starting wingers. That's one guy who is retired from professional soccer and an insurrectionist bouncing around the lower divisions...

https://scuffed.simplecast.com/episodes/episode-6-draft-2022-belz-and-dillon

Boysinblue, Zinkoff and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to parse domestic and international dual citizenship recruiting because, Gregg's been good at the latter but poor at the former. Some just focus on the latter because they stealthily hate players developed in the US since they themselves sucked.

Gregg's made notable snares of Musah, Dest, & Tillman. But he's lost out on Araujo, Ochoa, Efrain, etc. Now that 2nd group will likely always be worse, but it doesn't change this reality. And Ochoa's a young keeper, while I think Araujo could have helped us already. If you focus on one vs. the other, to a degree, it's zero-sum, w/ finite caps. I think the Pepi omission at the WC could hurt us even more w/ Mexican-Americans. And we still have Vazquez unnecessarily in limbo when he could have been secured. That's another big one to me.

That said, we're not losing out on duals simply because Gregg's around to get recruits thinking that better things are not possible. He's secured enough players, and w/ upside, to show that's not true. And the one's we lost or are in limbo that's not the reason.

As for Cremaschi, the p.r. agent(s) have to bend over backwards to claim he's a fringe guy who wouldn't be a loss when the World Champions are bringing him as an under-age u-20. He's also drawn praise pretty much unanimously from those, like myself, when they've actually seen him play. So now that he's questionable to be retained it's sour grapes from the p.r. agent(s).

Boysinblue, Zinkoff and xbhaskarx repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This 11Yanks guy may be among the very worst of USMNT Twitter/Youtube, but as they say:
    "Let a hundred flowers bloom; let a hundred schools of thought contend."

17. gray2cm

gray2cm Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I haven’t seen him play, but am excited about what I’ve heard about him thus far. That said, we just can’t win every dual national battle. If this kid feels Argentine in his heart and wants to play for them, it’s unfortunate but it’s on to the next kid. What we need to see is more and more and more kids of his caliber coming through the ranks every year. The majority of those kids will want to play for the USMNT, and we’ll be fine.

hell, look at France — they produced the most players in the WC this year and they were still fine.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Pomykal and Booth were the two closest omissions, could both make it over Luca and Tsakiris. Also debated Alvarado, Mendez, Vargas, and Ledezma after a role change. As far as profiles go if Gio/BA/Malik all are also options in AM/CM to me that means we need at least one like-for-like backup for Wes and Musah. So that would be Luca, Pax, AA, maybe Tessmann/Vargas types. The Mendez, Booth, McGlynn, Tsakiris, Luna, etc… more change of pace types would be competing for one spot and even then maybe those three AM/W take it. Booth and Alvarado kind of straddle both so they could be better positioned if things work out on the club front. I think Tsakiris can become more like that as he matures but that is an open question.

Booth was on the long list I made in 2018 for 2022. Booth has more passing range and is more incisive but Luca is more athletic/robust. I haven’t seen much to pick one over the other when it comes to on the ball stuff. So I’m going with peak age for the position and experience giving Luca an edge in off the ball stuff. Booth looks to be on the career path Luca should have been on after the U17s but he still needs to take those steps.

Acosta should be on the DM long list.

Boysinblue and gogorath repped this.
  19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is we don't even know he prefers Argentina, just that he's going to one camp.

And Argentina apparently casts a very wide net in terms of youth team calls up and this is not really indicative of his standing and whether he's under consideration for their qualifying roster.

In the end if he's good enough there's going to be a much clearer path to the senior national team with the US compared to with Argentina. Part of the reason the recruitments with Mexico are tricky is that the two teams are roughly equal in level, meaning it comes down to other factors. Whereas it's a different sort of recruitment if you are offering a path to World Cup and the other team is offering a more uncertain one.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I like Sands as that tactical wild card. Berhalter wasn't the man for that but our next manager might be, especially if they stick with 26 man roster.

21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #146 Maximum Optimal, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    With better depth a player like Antonee should be a part-time starter. I don't think he gets completely displaced by 2026 but if he and say Wiley split the games that's a win. Being able to rotate like that at certain positions would improve our chances for a deep run.

Dest is at another level. He's more of a core player. You try to get him a little rest here and there but want him on the field whenever you are playing for a result.

Looking at ages by 2026. Our four fullbacks could be: Robinson (28), Dest (25), Scally (23), Wiley (21).

Other candidates: Jones (29), Cannon (28), Vines (27), Reynolds (25), Bello (24), Tolkin (23), Gomez (22), Verhoeven (20)

xbhaskarx repped this.
  22. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I do wonder if the Antonee discourse is being affected by a WC where he was not at his best in attack. I think he was below his level adjusted average in terms of contribution and I don’t see it as him being found out at a higher level, he plays in the EPL already, we have plenty of tape on him. Like Gomez was disappointing with the U20s, that’s a bit more concerning to me.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got to wonder how much the ankle injury was a factor and I think fatigue also had an impact too.

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All true.

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be interesting to see an aggregation of all 2026 roster predictions, a percentage for each player... a wisdom of the crowds roster.