2026 World Cup and 2027 Asian Cup Qualification process

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by almango, Aug 2, 2022.

1. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    People might be loving games with lots of goals. :D

Indonesia will host Philippines on last matchday.

2. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    Oh Yea you are right. Indonesia with all their European born Indonesiens and mixed race Indonesians. Dont know why, but I dont like that so many South Asian teams have found players that maybe half Indonesien/filipo and so on, are players that are naturalised. China and Hong Kong have a few of Those.
    Thats why I respect Vietnam alot. They are all a product of Vietnam.

By the Way, our right back Moharrami plays for Dinamo Zagreb. Hope he Will recover soon

r0adrunner and Firdavs repped this.
  3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    13/18 correct

Nailed two scores (Pakistan 0-3 Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan 0-0 Qatar)

r0adrunner repped this.
  4. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    North Korea did beat Syria. To me this is an upset. You got it right. Congrats.

r0adrunner repped this.
  5. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    Huge result for Afghanistan. I didnt expect that at all, even though I Can see that Qatar played all their reserves. Now they May qualify by Drawing against Kuwait, if India looses to Qatar.

This group is completely open

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Afghanistan conceded 12 goals in their first 2 games yet have only conceded once in their last 3, a huge turnaround. India complete collapse since beating Kuwait on the opening day

r0adrunner repped this.
  7. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    Yes its really wierd. After the round 1 match, I thought India Would qualify. Now their chances seems very tough. But maybe if Qatar plays their reserves they have a chance

8. RaminS

RaminS Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Our defense is very leaky. This will cause problems in the next round unless they are addressed beforehand.

Iran fan repped this.
  9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Quick Summary

Group A
    Qatar 13 (+14) (Q)
    India 5 (-3)
    Afghanistan 5 (-14)
    Kuwait 4 (-1)

India play away to Qatar and need to get something to have a chance. A win sees them through, a draw and they rely on a draw in the Afghanistan Kuwait game. Anything less than a win for India will see whoever wins the other game go through.

Group B
    Japan 15 (+19) (Q)
    Syria 7 (+2)
    Nth Korea 6 (+1)
    Myanmar 1 (-22) (E)

Syria need to win in Japan. A draw or loss will mean Nth Korea qualify with a win against Myanmar (if Syria loses a draw will be enough for Nth Korea

I'll do the rest later

r0adrunner repped this.
  10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Group C

South Korea 13 (+18) (Q)
    China 8 (+1)
    Thailand 5 (-2)
    Singapore 1 (-17) (E)

A draw away to STH Korea sees China through. If they lose then Thailand must win at home to Singapore by enough goals to overcome the goal difference.

Group D

Oman 12 (+9) (Q)
    Kyrgyzstan 10 (+6)
    Malaysia 7 (-2)
    Chinese Taipei 0 (-13) (E)

Kyrgyzstan need a point away to an already qualified Oman. If they don't do that then Malaysia need a big win against Chinese Taipei to overcome a large goal differential.

Group E

Iran and Uzbekistan already comfortably qualified. Turkmenistan and Hong Kong can continue preparing for Asian Cup qualifiers.

Group F

Iraq 15 (+13) (Q)
    Indonesia 7 (-2)
    Vietnam 6 (-2)
    Philippines 1 (=9) (E)

Indonesia qualify with a win at home against the Philippines. If they fail then they have a nervous couple of hours waiting for the result of Iraq v Vietnam. An Indonesian draw means Vietnam must win, a loss by Indonesia means Vietnam needs a draw.

Group G

Saudi Arabia and Jordan already qualified, Tajikistan and Pakistan move to Asian Cup qualifiers

Group H

UAE and Bahrain progress to round 3, Yemen and Nepal To Asian Cup qualifiers.

Group I

Australia and Palestine the qualifiers, Lebanon and Bangladesh miss out

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran beat Hong Kong 4:2. Was Iran's defense stellar? No. Was that surprising for me? Not at all.

While offensively, Iran fielded its best players (with the injuries to Mohebi and Gholizadeh merely affecting our depth -- not quality -- upfront) the same could not be said on the defensive side of the equation. From our keeper (Niazmand instead of Beiranvand), to one of the 2 CBs who started (namely Hazbavi instead of suspended Kanani and a slew of other choices), to our outside backs (esp Yousefi instead of either Ramin Rezaian or the injured Moharami, as RB), to our d-mid (Ghorbani instead of Saeed Ezatolahi), Amir Ghalenoi did what many have been demanding: he gave youngsters and new faces the chance to gain more experience.

Among the new faces, the most disappointing was a player whose publicity agents are the same as those who did/do the bidding for Carlos Queiroz. This is what I had written about Hazbavi a few short months ago:
    Besides individual players, two other issues stood out for me. (1) Iran was vulnerable defending high balls and crosses inside its box. (2) in the 2nd half, after calling a couple of very clear penalties for Iran that nonetheless earned him boos from 40,000 Hong Kong fans in attendance, the referee decided to let the Hong Kong players get away with all sorts of fouls. Hong Kong's 2nd goal was just one such example.

r0adrunner and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Hector Cuper's Syria, despite their foreign born imports, is on the verge of failing to qualify to the final round. If our own fans were a bit less selective and biased, and looked at all the evidence objectively, they might learn some valuable lessons. For instance, looking to 'famous' foreign coaches as a panacea to fix issues isn't often even effective in the near term, never mind the long term cost of failing to build a cadre of experienced domestic coaches. Or the fact that "park the bus" might have merit against stronger teams, but it comes at the cost of a team failing to build the rhythm and rehearsing/executing the tactics necessary to score against weaker teams...

r0adrunner and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  13. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    Nobody is saying that a foreign coach or parking the bus is the answer. But a coach who doesnt have ANY defensive plan, where every team Can score against us, May not be the answer. There are nuances to this. But when people love or hate blindly, its difficult to have a conversation. Specially when they are obsessed about a old coach who isnt even here anymore. When we try to point out the weaknesses of the team, we are told to shut up, because ThE oLD CoAcH wAS sTuPiD….

r0adrunner repped this.
  14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't "hate" Carlos Queiroz; I "hate" the controversy his fans create around our team. I don't think Carlos Queiroz is (by any stretch of the imagination) "stupid"; I think his cultish followers might be less intelligent than they fancy themselves, and more insecure than they realize, needing a "famous name" to hide behind (and so clearly waiting for someone else to stumble to declare themselves right).

The Iranian version of Carlos Queiroz is Javad Nekounam, his long time pupil. Like Carlos Queiroz, Nekounam is an intelligent and capable coach. Like his mentor, however, Nekounam's tactical style is often not pleasing to watch. Much more importantly, and of bigger concern to me, like Queiroz, Nekounam thrives on creating controversy and fostering an "us versus them" mentality to build team unity, determination, and cohesion. If Iran ever wanted to choose a coach with that tactical mindset, it has a perfect specimen at home. One it can even help groom to one day become an "international level" coach.

But my judgment is that the last thing Iran needs right now is more stress and controversy. I see Iran's team in capable hands getting results that are overall commensurate (or even superior) to its realistic comparative merit. When that changes, it will be time to change Ghalenoi as well.

r0adrunner repped this.
  15. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    But its not about Quieroz. Nobody here is saying he should come back. There arent only two coaches in the World. He have tried the ultra defensive “us against the World” style, and he have tried the offensive while neglecting the defence style. Maybe we should find something inbetween. Because im not optimistic when I see Iran play now. We dont have a defence. Bigger team Will punish us. Qatar scored 3 times against us. And Hong Kong 2 times.

r0adrunner repped this.
  16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #191 Iranian Monitor, Jun 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
    Below is a complete compilation of Iran's results under Amir Ghalenoi (21GP: 17W, 3D, 1L). Nothing else needs to be said. When and only when the overall record shows a real deficit, is it appropriate to even talk about changing the coach.

579 23-Mar-23 Russia D 1–1 Tehran Friendly
    580 28-Mar-23 Kenya W 2–1 Tehran Friendly
    581 13-Jun-23 Afghanistan W 6–1 Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan 2023 CAFA Nations Cup
    582 16-Jun-23 Kyrgyzstan W 5–1 Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan 2023 CAFA Nations Cup
    583 20-Jun-23 Uzbekistan W 1–0 Tashkent, Uzbekistan 2023 CAFA Nations Cup
    584 07-Sep-23 Bulgaria W 1–0 Plovdiv, Bulgaria Friendly
    585 12-Sep-23 Angola W 4–0 Tehran Friendly
    586 13-Oct-23 Jordan W 3–1 Amman, Jordan 2023 Jordan Tournament
    587 17-Oct-23 Qatar W 4–0 Amman, Jordan 2023 Jordan Tournament
    588 16-Nov-23 Hong Kong W 4–0 Tehran 2026 World Cup Qualifier
    589 21-Nov-23 Uzbekistan D 2–2 Tashkent, Uzbekistan 2026 World Cup Qualifier
    590 05-Jan-24 Burkina Faso W 2–1 Kish Friendly
    591 09-Jan-24 Indonesia W 5–0 Al-Rayyan, Qatar Friendly
    592 14-Jan-24 Palestine W 4–1 Al-Rayyan, Qatar 2023 Asian Cup
    593 19-Jan-24 Hong Kong W 1–0 Al-Rayyan, Qatar 2023 Asian Cup
    594 23-Jan-24 United Arab Emirates W 2–1 Al-Rayyan, Qatar 2023 Asian Cup
    595 31-Jan-24 Syria D 1–1 Doha, Qatar 2023 Asian Cup
    596 03-Feb-24 Japan W 2–1 Al-Rayyan, Qatar 2023 Asian Cup
    597 07-Feb-24 Qatar L 2–3 Doha, Qatar 2023 Asian Cup
    598 21-Mar-24 Turkmenistan W 5–0 Tehran 2026 World Cup Qualifier
    599 26-Mar-24 Turkmenistan W 1–0 Ashgabat, Turkmenistan 2026 World Cup Qualifier
    600 06-Jun-24 Hong Kong W 4–2 So Kon Po, Hong Kong 2026 World Cup Qualifier

17. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    That is such a narrow minded Way to look at football. Did you see some of Those matches? And did you see the opposition. We are supposed to win most of these matches and some of Them we Got so lucky.
    At the asian cup we were LUCKY to win against Hong Kong. They could have scored 3 goals. Why isnt that important??
    We Went to penalties against Syria. Our only goal against Them was a penalty. They opened our defence with one simple long pass.
    Against Qatar we for scored on 3 times!! when has that ever happened.
    Against Japan we were very good and I give the coach the credit he deserves. Unlike you in not biased or have an agenda.

Afghanistan, Hong Kong, Kyrgyzstan and so on all scored against us. We dont have a goddamn defence. I was want this to be fixed before a major tournament. So we wont get embarrased.

I wont discuss further with you. Because this is not an Iran Forum, so I dont want to bother everybody Else with Iranian discussions. I have my opinion, and you have yours (well agenda)

r0adrunner repped this.
  18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    This is becoming silly. I watched every one of Iran's games. We outshot all of our opponents. If occasionally some of them missed some chances, we missed more. That was true even in our worst games at the Asian Cup. And true yesterday against Hong Kong:

19. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Predictions for the final macthday of round 2

r0adrunner and Live_Football23 repped this.
  20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    20 minutes into their match, Japan is already up 3:0 against Syria!

r0adrunner repped this.
  21. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    So unless a wonder happens and North Korea somehow messes up, Syria is eliminated today.

r0adrunner repped this.
  22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm at the stadium right now waiting for Thailand v Singapore... absolutely ridiculous group games don't kick off at the same time. So Thailand will know midway through the first half if they are out or not as South Korea v China kicks off some 90 minutes earlier! Kyrgyzstan have a full hour after Malaysia plays to know what they need to go through. Just crazy... anyway seems like this doesn't bother the Thai fans who have shown up in numbers 20240611_174440.jpg

23. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    bad luck for Thailand.... China tied with Korea 0-0 and both advance to the next round

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That game is still in progress with 35+ minutes left.

25. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    You're right, it's only the first time. These games are very exciting.