2026 World Cup and 2027 Asian Cup Qualification process

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by almango, Aug 2, 2022.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some highlights from the stadium of Thailand v Singapore... damn, they should have won 5/6-1 but wasted sooo many chances! That one at the end where two players should have finished but shot wide pretty much summed up their night I'm afraid....

Boysinblue and r0adrunner repped this.
  2. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    #227 Iran fan, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    That is actually Great for Iraq. It Will really boost their chances for qualifying.

There are alot of concern for me and other iranian football fans for the qualifiers. Before the asian cup I was sure that Iran Would qualify for the World cup no matter what. Now I am not that sure. A difficult group Would make it very hard. Lets say they get a group with Australia and Saudi. That Would be difficult. And now Iran has a very weak defence where every team Can score against Them. Lets see what happens

I have Been used to winning comfortably in the qualifiers against every team outside the top 5. Now every team in the top 15 Will be a difficult match

r0adrunner repped this.
  3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Are you sure?

Reports I have read indicate the pots will be as follows:
    Pot 1:
    Japan, Iran, S. Korea
    Pot 2:
    Australia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia
    Pot 3:
    Iraq, Uzbekistan, UAE
    Pot 4:
    China, Palestine, Kyrgyzstan
    Pot 5:
    N. Korea, Indonesia, Kuwait

4. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq

Iranian Monitor and r0adrunner repped this.
  5. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    But Will the ranking be updated before the draw? Wont the ranking first get updates in the july version, while the draw is in june

r0adrunner repped this.
  6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Don’t stress too much. Japan/Australia/Saudi Arabia is on for the third time in a row.

Iranian Monitor, Iran fan and r0adrunner repped this.
  7. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, the next update will be on 20 June.

jagum and Iran fan repped this.
  8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #233 Iranian Monitor, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    Imagine that:). With Saudi Arabia apparently dropping to pot 3, that is now a distinct possibility!

I don't want Iran and Saudi Arabia in the same group. But I certainly believe it is about time we end up in the same group as Australia. An "easier" draw for Iran despite having Australia in our group would be:
    1. Iran
    2. Australia
    3. Uzbekistan
    4. Bahrain
    5. Kyrgyzstan
    6. Indonesia
    The worst draw for Iran would be:
    1. Iran
    2. Australia
    3. Saudi Arabia
    4. UAE
    5. China
    6. N. Korea

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    So, to fix my last post, the expected seedings will be:

POT 1
    Japan, Iran, S. Korea
    POT 2
    Australia, Qatar, Iraq
    POT 3
    Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Jordan
    POT 4
    UAE, Oman, Bahrain
    POT 5
    China, Palestine, Kyrgyzstan
    POT 6
    N. Korea, Indonesia, Kuwait

10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I would like to see us draw Iran simply because we haven’t played each other since 1997. A whole generation hasn’t seen this clash. Not fussed on who else we get. The rise of the second tier tells me there are plenty of potential banana skins for us to slip up on.

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I share your sentiment but beyond that I like to see Iran play the best teams in the AFC regularly. The only exception for me is Saudi Arabia and that is not because of football reasons per se. When we face Saudi teams, we have to face a lot of off-the-field issues (e.g., the plane carrying our players not cleared to fly to Saudi; our players mistreated by Saudi airport security and kept in the airport for hours; the Saudis giving themselves the right to make political demands regarding who is being honored by symbols and statues in our stadia; etc...) that has an overall negative impact on the focus and concentration of our team and fans...

12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The chances of us drawing Japan and Saudi again are less than a half what they were in the past two editions so hopefully we avoid that scenario. Had some thought and this is what I would like to see. I don't think there is a huge disparity between teams in each pot so my choices are for other reasons than just picking who I think are the weakest teams.

Iran (we haven't played them in a quarter of a century)
    Australia
    Jordan (Iran just had Uzbekistan so I'm giving them a break)
    Bahrain (we played UAE and Oman in 2022 qualifying)
    Kyrgyzstan (just played Palestine and had China in 2022 qualifying
    Indonesia (prefer a team closer to our time zone for ease of watching.

13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just an added note. The WC eliminated teams move on to 4 team AC qualifying groups but there is a lot of time to go. Why do we need another elimination round to get rid of 3 teams? There are only six spots left so group winners only qualify. Just make 3 groups of 5 and 3 groups of 4. Give the teams some competitive matches to play.

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iraq, Uzbekistan, and Jordan are all sides which have emerged to show them not only capable of doing well against the so-called top 5 in the AFC, but actually getting results against them.
    • Iraq, of course, famously defeated Japan in the group stage in the last Asian Cup.
    • Uzbekistan just got a pair of draws against Iran in these WCQs and also drew Australia in the last Asian Cup.
    • Jordan just beat Saudi Arabia away from home to top their WCQ group, while they easily outplayed and defeated S. Korea in the semifinal of the Asian Cup to cruise to a 2:0 win over the Koreans (after drawing S. Korea 2:2 at the group stage).
    Any team in the AFC which takes these teams for granted, will almost certainly regret it. Along with Qatar (depending especially on Akram Aziz and his form), these teams and the big 5 will be the 9 leading contenders (regardless of the draw) for qualification to the next World Cup.

Put differently, it wouldn't be a stretch to claim the AFC has a "big 9" (as opposed to a "big 5") right now.

Suren01, Firdavs and almango repped this.
  15. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    I'd say a tall 6 in a short list: Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan. In my eyes, these will undoubtedly be the best Asian teams over the long term.

For a broad list, I'd add Qatar, Jordan and Iraq, making a total of 9: Indeed, I have my doubts about Qatar's level, despite their recent Asian Cup victory; as for Jordan and Iraq, I still have no doubts about their current levels, they're certainly among the best teams in Asia, but I don't know whether these two teams will be able to maintain this level or even improve it over the long term.

glennaldo_sf and Firdavs repped this.
  16. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Last appearances of teams in the final round

2022: Australia, China, Iraq, Iran, Japan, Oman, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, UAE
    2018: Uzbekistan, Qatar
    2014: Jordan
    2010: Bahrain, North Korea
    2006: Kuwait
    Debut: Kyrgzystan, Palestine, Indonesia

17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Groups

Group A
    Iran
    Qatar
    Uzbekistan
    UEA
    Kyrgyzstan
    Nth Korea

Group B
    Sth Korea
    Iraq
    Jordan
    Oman
    Palestine
    Kuwait

Group C
    Japan
    Australia
    Saudi Arabia
    Bahrain
    China
    Indonesia

18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #243 almango, Jun 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
    A bit of Deja Vu here with Japan, Australia & Saudi Arabia in the same group for the 3rd time in a row. China joins us for the second time in a row with Bahrain and Indonesia newcomers to our regular group. This is now the sixth time in a row since we joined Asia we have drawn Japan in the final group stage of WCQ. We've played Sth Korea a few times in Asian Cups but never Iran.

There really seems to be a sameness about WCQ for us. 5 campaigns in Asia and 5 times we've played Japan, 4 times Saudi Arabia, 3 times China, Iraq and Jordan.

Kamtedrejt, Suren01 and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Whether by design or sheer coincidence, the "draw" for Iran once again avoids politically problematic pairings (e.g., Iran v Saudi Arabia) or ones that might produce additional political and sanctions related pressures on the AFC relating especially to Iran's home games (e.g., Iran v Australia). The end result gives us pretty repetitive groups.

In any case, on paper Group C is the toughest and Group A the easiest overall.

almango repped this.
  20. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Perfect draw for Iraq. Moving to pot 2 really helped us. Optimistic that we make it this time :)

Kamtedrejt and Live_Football23 repped this.
  21. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    Wow Iran was lucky again. We cant Complain about our luck when it comes to World cup qualification draws. Not saying this is easy at all. Uzbekistan and Qatar are both good teams, but I prefered Qatar from pot 2 and everything other than Saudi Arabia in pot 3. Also I rather have UAE from pot 4.

With the condition of our team, lack of defence, non existing tactics and lack of in-game tactic changes, we really needed a good draw. Now I believe we have a chance to qualify.
    Also because I Can see Qatar and uzbekistan dropping points away against one of the bottom 3 teams, so we arent forced to win all the Big games in the group

Yeah group C is crazy

22. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    Okay in not so optimistic After all.
    We lost to Qatar at the Asian Cup
    We drew twice against Uzbekistan in the 2nd round of the WCQ
    We won 2-1 against UAE reserves in the Asian cup, where they even missed a penalty

So it Will be very difficult. Specially if Iran Will continue their Long balls tactic

23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A quick look at each group.

Group A
    Iran are favourites and I expect them to qualify, more likely in first but they shouldn't drop below second. This could be Uzbekistan's chance and I think they will be fighting for the second qualifying spot with Qatar. UAE aren't out of it and could spring a surprise or two however I think they will end up in round 4 finishing ahead of both Kyrgyzstan and North Korea.

Group B
    On paper South Korea got the easiest draw but football doesn't get played on paper. South Korea have in recent years lost the odd game you expect them to win but I really can't see them not getting a top 2 spot. The other spot is a tossup to me with a fight for the second spot between Iraq, Jordan and Oman. I expect these 3 teams to be in the top 4, just not sure which one in the qualifying spot. Palestine showed me they are a decent team in stage 3 but lack the goal scoring firepower up front to finish higher up. Kuwait are capable of an upset or two but I don't think they can get enough points to make the top 4.

Group C
    A tough group with the highest ranked teams of pots 1, 2 & 3 all being drawn together (again). Group C contains 4 teams from group B last time. Japan, Saudi Arabia and Australia meet in the main group stage for the 3rd time in a row. I'm hoping we improve from our standard 3rd place the last 2 times but it won't be easy. I expect the big 3 in this group to finish in the top 3 places. Bahrain and China will be fighting for the 4th spot. It's been a while since Indonesia has reached this level and inexperience may see them struggle for consistency. They may still play a role in who qualifies to what level.

Firdavs and Live_Football23 repped this.
  24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't see Iran's "talent" currently all that notable or superior to our top Group A opponents (never mind the other top teams in Asia). We have instead a better team, with better overall results, led by an experienced manager who knows his team's strengths and weaknesses.

For instance, lets compare Iran with Uzbekistan.

The backbone of Iran's national team is composed mainly of players from Tehran giants Perspolis and Esteghlal plus Sepahan. Even most of our foreign based players moved abroad after doing well with these clubs.

Two Uzbek NT players play in Iran's league for Perspolis and Esteghlal. Anyone who watched Iran's league would agree that Oston Uronov was arguably the best player for his club (Perspolis) and even arguably the best player in our league. Uzbekistan's Jaloliddin Masharipov (Esteghlal) is also a fixed starter and one of the better players for his club.

Among our foreign based players, our 2nd most noteworthy player is Sardar Azmoun who spent last season on loan from Bayer Leverkusen playing (or not } for AS Roma in the Serie A. Now, and to be absolutely clear, I personally rate Azmoun much higher than his Uzbek counterpart in the Serie A, Eldor Shomurodov. But on the transfer market, Sckmurodov is only marginally less valuable than Azmoun.

Beyond these players, the Uzbek NT draws into its ranks from the 2nd best U21/U23 side in the AFC. Iran's U21/23 are not even among the top 8 in Asia (statistically, failing to make the final OL qualifying round, not even top 16 but that would be misleading).

Anyway, on paper, and in all likelihood, Iran will top its group or finish among the top 2. That is all I can legitimately ask of our team based my analysis, despite our historical h2h record against the teams in Group A to be lopsided in our favor.

p.s.
    trivia question:
    name the most valuable left fullback in Iran's league and which NT he used to play for? Hint: the NT he used to play for is also in our group.

25. Live_Football23

Real Madrid
    Iraq
    Dec 7, 2020
    Good analysis. Regarding Group B, I personally don’t think it will be as easy as you are making it out to be for Korea. They did not impress in the Asian Cup, and were outplayed both times they played Jordan. I think they will drop points in both Basra and Amman. I still see them as likely being first however.

Regarding Oman, they are not as good as last qualification cycle imo. They had a terrible Asian Cup campaign, being eliminated in the group stage going winless. They also got a total of 1 point in 2 matches against Kyrgyzstan last round. I see them finishing 4th.

Your analysis regarding Palestine is spot on.

Iraq and Jordan, especially Jordan, are currently red hot. We’ll see if Jordan can keep that same form now that Ammouta is gone.

almango repped this.