2026 Cycle - Attendance and Home Match Location Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by schrutebuck, Aug 25, 2023.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very much so, though was just curious about the various paths.

gogorath repped this.
  2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Attendance numbers in 2024 so far:

January 2024 - Slovenia - 9,191 in San Antonio (capacity is technically smaller than that, so above 100%)
    March 2024 - Jamaica - 40,296 in Dallas (capacity is 80,000+)
    March 2024 - Mexico - 59,471 in Dallas (capacity is 80,000+)
    June 2024 - Colombia - 55,494 in Washington DC (capacity is 65,000)
    June 2024 - Brazil - 60,016 in Orlando (capacity is 60,219)

Strong numbers but also a mixed bag. It was notable that the DC match was a 90 minute party for Colombia, though falling behind early likely played a role in making that crowd seem so heavily Colombian. The match in Orlando definitely came across as more of an even split.

The Nations League Finals in March were decent but likely impacted by the current unhappiness that many Mexico fans have with their national team.

And the Camp Cupcake match in January worked out well. Strong numbers, and hopefully US Soccer continues with the idea of spreading out these January matches all around the West Coast, Southwest, and Southeast.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    If the location is our federations choice, we should be only playing WC stadiums and pricing to sell out for the next two years... with LA, Seattle, San Fran, and Dallas being prioritized with ATL and KC next and NY for the dreamers.

Who cares where the January games are.

4. hoys

hoys Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Hopefully we'll get more experience in our World Cup stadiums to some extent with the Gold Cup on the West Coast next summer.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t go to the game but my friends who did said the first match seemed like it was about 75 percent Columbia fans.

Brazil did look more balanced on tv in terms of fans.

I really like the idea of doing January camp matches in markets who wouldn’t otherwise ever see a USMNT match and who have smaller venues (as we don’t typically turn out huge crowds for those games anyways).

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    With FIFA's scheduling news, Houston is the first US host city that can be eliminated as a possibility for hosting a US match. The other 10 cities still have a chance along with Vancouver.

7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s super unlikely things break that way, but it would be strange to have a road game in a home World Cup in Vancouver against Canada.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #158 schrutebuck, Jun 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    I bet FIFA added that in as a small possibility simply due to the fact that the other 2 host countries also have to potentially play matches in another country (the US). Fair to give the US a small chance of doing the same for one match.

FIFA has done a decent job of protecting from too much travel with this schedule, though they likely needed another host city in the Southeast or Midwest to do even more.

It's definitely easy to see the paths are favorable to the 3 host countries. Mexico and Canada are 2 of the 3 teams that can win their groups and stay in the same home cities for 2 more matches. The US doesn't have that but can stay on the West Coast deep into the tournament if they win their group. And the other possibilities don't look too bad for the US and Mexico in particular.

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only other thing I would have liked to have seen is a round of 16 matchup where we face the winner of two second place teams versus likely a group winner.

10. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    FIFA also released an initial list of 24 eligible base camps for teams to use for the World Cup. This has to be an easy decision for USSF to book whatever the best available facility will be in the Los Angeles area. This is also likely to be a simple decision for Mexico City and Canada, but it will definitely be more complex for everybody else.

https://www.fifa.com/en/tournaments...a2026/articles/base-camps-potential-locations

Near World Cup host cities:
    Atlanta (x2) and Chattanooga
    Dallas (x3) and Fort Worth
    Guadalajara
    Kansas City (x3)
    Los Angeles
    Mexico City (x2)
    Monterrey
    Philadelphia
    San Antonio

Away from World Cup host cities:
    Cincinnati
    Green Bay, WI
    Indianapolis
    Louisville
    St. Louis
    Salt Lake City (x2)

The one that stands out to me is Salt Lake City. For a team that has an early group match in Mexico, but not multiple matches in Mexico, Salt Lake City or Denver might be a good spot for their training camp. Likely a team in Group F or K.

USOutlaw16 and gomichigan24 repped this.
  11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Goff is reporting that USSF is planning fall 2024 friendlies in KC, Cincinnati, and Austin.

HomietheClown repped this.
  12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like they’d be better off spreading things around a bit more and you can go back to one of those three for the November Nation’s League game.

For instance you could do Miami and Philadelphia for one window and Red Bull Arena and New England for the second (with the Patriots stadium for playing Mexico). At least that way you minizmize travel and play in some spots you haven’t played in some time.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they're looking to fill stadiums.

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Mexico they’ll fill the stadium no matter what. And it’ll be an NFL stadium.

As for the other stadiums I think it makes it harder to fill when we’re constantly coming back to the same locations over and over again.

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This could be where Berhalter's comments about preferring certain facilities may be influencing choices.

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the return to the same places is based on a combination of travel factors, facilities quality (both stadium and training), and the USSF staff is familiar with and satisfied by how the local ops staff handles things. They don't have to worry about surprises because they went to a new place where the local FO is a shambles. Fanbase outreach has been discarded as a criterion.

17. hoys

hoys Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems plausible they're saving Orlando for November for proximity to the away leg in that window.

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that’s definitely true. There was a podcast where they talked about that specifically. And I think they like the facilities at Cincinnati and Austin a ton in particular.

I think it’s short sighted but it’s definitely a big part of their thought process. And given we have limited places where we can play competitive home matches I like to see other cities get opportunities to see the national team.

19. Ryan T Smith

Ryan T Smith Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    May 10, 2022
    One of these windows we need to play in Seattle and LA. I know the World Cup is still two years away but you only get so many international windows and we should probably scout out our World Cup location in advance. Even if we have to play the LA game in Carson or the Banc, at least we can get a feel for the host cities and training facilities beforehand.

soccer_23 repped this.
  20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the USSF isn't already familiar with the facilities in Carson, I don't know what to tell you.

Still you have a good point, the March 2026 window would be perfect for that if the stadiums are ready in terms of modifications and grass installation.

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe next summer in the lead up to the Gold Cup. As I think they just don’t want to go to the West Coast for the shorter windows. They also spent their camp in LA last summer in the lead-up to the Nation’s League.

With Seattle there’s also the turf issue and any sort of grass field they put on their for a friendly is probably going to be poor quality.

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HomietheClown repped this.
  23. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Wish they had been able to find better opposition. We're not going to learn a lot by playing more poor to middling teams. I get that it can be difficult so there may well be legit reasons this was what they were able to get scheduled, but this does seem like a really lightweight trio of games. Thena gain, I guess we'll see how poor Panama is in a few days. Just seems like these are the sort of games that don't really help us at all, friendlies are already less competitive and now playing more mid-level CONCACAF teams we've already handled in Nations League and Gold Cups and New Zealand who doesn't even make the top 100 in FIFA rankings.

gogorath repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CONMEBOL WCQs resume on September 5 and the UEFA Nations League starts on September 7. I guess an African team could have been an option.

nobody repped this.
  25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this schedule sucks

worst possible trio of opponents