2024 Women's Olympic Tournament

Discussion in 'Women's Olympics' started by shlj, Dec 17, 2020.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you looked up the actual numbers? Last time I did a count, this was not the case.

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #77 shlj, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Latest update is the UEFA qualifiers is now the Nations League and no longer the WWC like in the previous cycles. So basically, only 14 out the 16 teams in League A can make the Olympics. France are host and already in.

Attached Files:

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #78 SiberianThunderT, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    I mean, that's better than the 11 or 12 teams that would be eligible through the WWC, especially since it won't be at the whims of the WC knockout phase, though kinda sucks for Ireland - assuming they use the 2021 coefficients for the first season of the Nations League. Probably bad for Portugal too unless Russia's ban remains in place. Maybe new coefficients will be published first though? Not sure if Ireland has improved enough this qualifying campaign for that to help... Maybe they get grandfathered in to League A for this first edition as a WC participant?
    =edit= ah you added the image above while I was writing X-D

blissett repped this.
  4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This is the full screenshot from the UEFA website, it says simulation based on UEFA coefficient rankings at the time of the draw April 2023.

So the 16 teams competing are the ones shown in League A. Russia have an asterisk though.

Attached Files:

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I could somehow object to the fact that two symbols of the French Revolution (they're literally Phrygian caps on legs! :alien:) are said to be "sporty and love to party" :x3:, since it seems to trivialize the Revolution itself. :cautious:

On the other hand, in an historical moment like to one we are living since quite some years, I have to appreciate that France and the French people show their pride for the Revolution and for the democratic values it brought to the world. Proudly embracing these Phrygian caps and what they symbolize goes ahead of any silliness and trivialization that could come with making two marketing-dummies of them.

7. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Compared to Schuss and Magique they look good (which doesn`t mean much).:unsure:
    https://scoutlife.org/features/4560/olympic-mascots-through-the-years/

But for Phrygian caps I prefer these guys:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...=de#/media/File:Mainzelmaennchen-zdf-2020.jpg

blissett repped this.
  8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Pre-sale registration for the Olympics ticket will start on 1st of December.
    10 Millions tickets will go on sale overall for the games.
    1 million tickets will be priced at 24€ and half of the general sale tickets will cost less than 50€.

9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

SiberianThunderT and toad455 repped this.
  10. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    So it would be held in Jan/Feb of 2024?

11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Dunno. Olympics is 26th July - 11 August so I guess even March/April wouldn't be out of the picture...?

toad455 repped this.
  12. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    March/April would be possible if their qualifiers are the same schedule. First round would be October 2023, Second round would be Feb. 2024.

Lechus7 repped this.
  13. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    AFC Women’s Olympic Qualifying

[​IMG]
    (via Wosoworld)

(draw 12th Jan 8:00 CET)

14. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Let's see if North Korea actually participates.

15. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #90 Lechus7, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    Korea DPR will most likely make an offer to participate.. then back out at the last minute. By doing so they will f... up the qualifiers for some team(s) (last time Uzbekistan suffered the most) ... but hey they don't care. :rolleyes:

blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Considering that DPK isn't slated to enter until the second round, they can't mess things up for any of the first round hopefuls. It *could* be a problem if DPK is the only top-five team in their second-round group, because one of the other top 5 would then necessarily be screwed over - and DPK dropping out would mean being replaced by a first round hopeful in the final four - but I would be a bit shocked if the second-round draw happens that way...

Well, as I type that, maybe I wouldn't be shocked at all, because *technically* DPK is the #1 seed and thus "deserves" an easier group, so a "snake draw" would leave them free from any of the other top five...

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    AFC First Round Olympic Qualifying Draw

[​IMG]

toad455, blissett, Lohmann and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    @Pelefan my eyes aren't now as good as they used to be... ;)
    (this yellow font on light blue background is making them hurt :p)

[​IMG]

toad455, blissett, Lohmann and 1 other person repped this.
  19. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Outside of Group G, there shouldn't be any surprises for who advances. Maybe the Kyrgyz can get past India to go to Round 2. Otherwise, the following should easily advance: Uzbekistan, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Philippines, Chinese Taipei.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think most groups do have favorites, but even when the pots were announced I had my eyes on Iran and Jordan as potential pot 2 surprises, especially depending on who hosts, and the draw hasn't changed my thoughts. After the draw, I'd say HK also has a chance against the Philippines. I think the only truly safe bets are Vietnam, Taipei, and Thailand. The rest of the Pot 1 teams outside India are relatively safe, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if one or two Pot 2 teams make it out from A/B/E unless their Pot 1 teams end up hosting.

blissett repped this.
  21. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #96 Pelefan, Jan 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    Don't forget about Bangladesh as a darkhorse in Group B. They have been playing well lately and even won the regional SAFF Championship over defending champion India last year.

The Pakistan football federation last year after seeing the Philippine's formula for success in making the Women's World Cup has also decided to recruit from their diaspora as well and apparently have contacted plenty of players from England, Greece and the US to reinforce their team so they should be presenting some challenges in the group as they will be playing way above their ranking.

That is why I consider Grp E with the Philippines, Hongkong, Tajikistan and Pakistan the Group of Death in the first round. The Philippine national football women's team has gained a lot of experience with 30 international matches last year and added a lot of really good players since making the semifinals of the Asian Cup and qualifying for the Women's World Cup last year though so I think they will still prevail in the end.

blissett repped this.
  22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could reduce the number of men's teams, but that event sort of makes money for the host, so they don't.

At the end, I would not be upset if soccer gets removed from the Olympics, FIFA already has a lot of tournaments for the sport.

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Tickets are on sale for the lucky people who got drawn. Prices are very high.
    They are selling multiple spots packages at the moment. They are not selling tickets for the final, or they sold out for that selling window. Single tickets go on sale from 11 May.

Attached Files:

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #99 Pelefan, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Women's Olympic Qualifying Tournament Paris 2024 Asian Qualifiers Round 1
    Update: Maldives and SAFF Champions Bangladesh , are the latest teams to withdraw from the qualifiers. As a result, only two teams remained in Group B: hosts Myanmar and IR Iran. The two teams will play against each other twice.
    As as result, only 20 teams remain in contention for Round 2 slots, reserved for seven (7) group winners:
    Group A (Uzbekistan *, Jordan , Timor-Leste , & Bhutan )
    Group B (Myanmar * & IR Iran )
    Group C (Vietnam & Nepal *)
    Group D (Thailand *, Mongolia & Singapore )
    Group E (Philippines , Hong Kong , Tajikistan * &Pakistan )
    Group F (Chinese Taipei , Indonesia & Lebanon *)
    Group G (India & Kyrgyz Republic *)
    * Round 1 hosts

"Six teams who were part of January’s draw have withdrawn – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Maldives, Palestine, Sri Lanka and Turkmenistan – while three teams are making their Olympic qualifying debuts, namely Bhutan, Kyrgyz Republic and Timor-Leste."

[​IMG]

I don't think it matters as the Olympics is run by the IOC but Indonesia is about to be suspended as well by FIFA because of not allowing Israel to enter the FIFA Men's U20 World Championships which there were originally hosting. Argentina is the front runner to take over hosting duties for that event.

25. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    With the case of so many withdrawals, they should have done a redraw to even things out and eliminate a group.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.