2024 USMNT Copa America Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TrueCrew, Jun 14, 2024.

1. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like how he ultimately would have started weah no matter what? or how he was always going to play gio centrally? sure, that tracks...

[​IMG]

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Would like to have seen:
    Paredes over Lund at LB. But I understand the decision to give Paredes the Olympics which will provide far more minutes.

Brooks: he had 18 starts for a team that finished 7th in the B1.

Zendejas: incredible season in Liga Mx. A run out just to test for any improvement at international level would've been useful.

3. Dander

Dander Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    Apr 3, 2017
    Yes to another look at Zendejas, though all I've seen are clips.

Winoman repped this.
  4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Copa, sure.

He barfed it at Gold Cup. Aaronson, Sargent, Reyna, McKennie, Wright, Balogun, Pepi, Weah, and, of course, Pulisic have all been better/more productive for the Nats thus far.

Go with what has worked at Copa. We have 2 years for 2026 prep.

The Clientele repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We don't really know whether Brooks is even open to a call at this point.

And I've seen enough of him with the NT. No thanks.

deejay and theboogeyman repped this.
  6. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Of course, with a team as young as we were (and are) that is to be expected I guess. As you note, it could have been significantly more! Pepi was a close call at best, MRob injured for WC, Richards injured WC, Dest injured for Copa, Zimmerman at Olympics, Even taking out Shaq Moore that still leaves 22 out of 26.

It will be interesting to see how similar this roster is compared to the 2026 WC roster. Who will be out and who will be in?

gomichigan24 and schrutebuck repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think we may have maybe seen some different faces if the Olympics weren’t happening also (like a Parades).

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  8. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Probably a few others too, which, to me, is the really amazing part. I really believe that the turnover in our team will continue. It will definitely slow considerably, but 2 years is a lot of time for new players to force their way into the team.

Players from the Copa roster that I wouldn't be too surprised to see gone. This list is not based upon up and coming players...I'm not that smart. It is based upon my belief that none of them have done enough to cement their spot on a semi permanent level. I definitely would be surprised if ALL were gone and some are much more likely than others to be on the team and possibly play an important role but here it is (in no particular order):

All the GK's, CCV, Lund, McKenzie, Moore, Ream, M Robinson, LDLT, M Tillman, B Aaronson, Sargent, Wright

Ream for his age is obvious, Gk's I think is obvious, M Robinson...I'm not convinced he is back to where he was pre WC, Aaronson and Sargent have played well at times and played an important role...they are probably the least likely to lose a spot but both still need to show that they can step it up to the next level. Perhaps I should have included Pepi...and Balogun too?

TrueCrew repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx BigSoccer Yellow Card

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you see a post like this it just shows that all the actual call ups were the right decision.

The only real exceptions are Shaq Moore as the backup RB and Sean Johnson as the third GK.

Other than that, the roster is pretty much a no brainer.

tomásbernal repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vs Bolivia
    GK Turner
    RB Scally
    CB Richards
    CB Ream
    LB Jedi (Lund)
    MF Musah
    MF Cardoso (Adams)
    RM Weah (McKennie)
    AM Reyna (Tillman)
    LM Pulisic
    FW Balogun (Pepi)

Vs Panama
    GK Turner
    RB Scally (Moore)
    CB Miles
    CB Carter-Vickers
    LB Jedi
    MF Cardoso
    MF De la Torre (Adams)
    RM Weah (McKennie)
    AM Reyna (Aaronson)
    LM Pulisic (Wright)
    FW Pepi

Vs Uruguay (if we are already out of group)
    GK Turner
    RB Moore
    CB Richards
    CB Ream (McKenzie)
    LB Lund
    MF Musah
    MF Cardoso (Adams)
    RM McKennie
    AM Tillman (Aaronson)
    LM Wright (De la Torre)
    FW Sargent (Balogun)

Vs Uruguay (if we must win)
    GK Turner
    RB Scally
    CB Richards
    CB Ream (Robinson)
    LB Jedi
    MF Adams (Cardoso)
    MF McKennie
    RM Weah (Wright)
    AM Gio (Aaronson)
    LM Pulisic
    FW Pepi (Balogun)

11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Moore is the most unlikely to be on the World Cup roster. Of the goalies I don’t think Johnson will be on the World Cup roster, I wouldn’t be surprised in Horvath is left off, but I’m pretty certain Turner is on the roster even if he’s not the starter.

At center back Ream is the most likely to not make it just because of age. But I’d pretty surprised if a healthy Miles Robinson is not there. And Berhalter seems to rate CCV in particular. McKenzie seems very dependent on how big the roster is, what happens to Ream, and how Jalen Neal develops (as there’s not a ton waiting in the pipeline at centerback).

Lund I think is definitely vulnerable to replacement by a player like Tolkin or Wiley but Berhalter clearly rates him ahead right now.

I’d be pretty surprised if Malik Tillman is not on the roster in 2026, but LDLT’s position is definitely vulnerable with all the up and coming midfielders we have. Aaronson is similarly vulnerable depending on players like Parades, Esmir, etc develop and if someone like Luca Kolesheo decides to play for the US.

Who knows if Wright will be seen as a winger or striker in two years but I wouldn’t bet against that guy. It feels like he’s fought through so much adversity in Europe, played his way onto the 2022 World Cup team after being way out of the picture, and forced his way back into the group again when it seemed like he was completely out of it.

With the rest of the strikers I think it’s very unlikely Balogun gets left off unless he really falls off, but it might be a real battle between Sargent and Pepi if the rosters stay at 23.

theboogeyman and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    That's silly and childish, but you're entitled to your opinion.

13. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Agreed with pretty much all of this. I will say that I was disappointed that Reynolds didn’t go over Moore, especially with Berhalter’s love for putting in crosses from the fullbacks.

I also really think we need like for like replacements for CP and Weah at winger. I like Paredes, but see him as more of a fullback in Berhalter’s system (and think he has good potential there). I don’t like wright there because he’s just not quick or fluid enough. And Aaronson just doesn’t seem good enough although he’s shown flashes. I’d love to see Esmir and Koleosho step up into the wing spots over the next two years. Not needing cp and Weah so much would give the team a big boost.

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with Reynolds we’re going to see a lot of him this summer on the Olympics and it’s possible he makes another move this summer to the Championship. He’s more of a like for like replacement for Dest stylistically, but I don’t know he’s quite ready yet.

I think on the wings Kolesheo (if he commits) and Esmir are the two who have the biggest potential to make a leap and force their way on the roster. Kolesheo may have made it this summer if he hadn’t gotten hurt. For now Wright and Aaronson have those spots but I don’t think either has a lock on them. In addition to Kolesheo, Esmir, and Parades, Booth could get into consideration if he could regain his former when he was really shining in thr Netherlands. And Cade Cowell if he ever puts it all together.

And we all talk about the possibility of Cavan Sullivan, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Berchimas makes the leap on the wing and makes it on. He’d be my second most likely as far as youth prospects go (behind Cavan Sullivan). I don’t think eirher are likely though.

RossD and theboogeyman repped this.
  15. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Berchimas is more like a young Beasley. I am not sure he has enough skill level. Like Spain’s Jamal etc to be a great winger.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #41 Clint Eastwood, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    Yup.

I mean, Zendejas is just outside the roster. One injury to an attacking midfielder-type (and let's be honest................that group is remarkably healthy by their standards right now), and Zendejas would probably have gotten in there. That's how he got onto rosters in the fall (although he didn't play).

Brooks hasn't gotten a cap since Berhalter hauled him off at halftime of the Honduras WCQer. That's 2.5 years ago. For heaven's sake people, you're never going to see John Anthony Brooks in a US uniform again. People were telling you that more quite a long time ago. If there was an opening for another CB on the roster, "next man up" would likely have been Trusty or Zimmerman.

Basically, this roster is exactly what we thought it was going to be. Nobody is ever going to be 100% happy. Yes, we could have named a player other than Moore to be a backup RB.

3rd GK is the least important name on the roster. How often has the US EVER used their 3rd GK in a tournament? The 3rd GK is basically somebody to participate in GK drills and be a good guy in the locker room. Sean Johnson has had this spot for a while. An MLS club likely wouldn't want their starter taken away during the season to be 3rd string. In previous summer tournaments we actually let the 3rd string guy stay at his club team and only join up in case of an emergency. We could have done that again, but whatever.

17. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Guys always freak out about the last 1-2 guys on the list and they never play or have any real impact. Now with 3 more players that just means more guys sitting the bench. I'm ok with 5 cbs considering that's the position most likely to accumulate cards and have to sit. Who would you replace the 3rd CB with? Who out there deserves the callup instead? Seriously, who? Who left off would get any considerable game time over 4-5 games?

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen any mention of this in any thread (but maybe I've missed it somehow): the final rosters were announced several days ago. Sargent deemed healthy enough to stay on, and Tim Tillman the odd man out because of it. Otherwise, it's exactly as expected.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Brooks's having been blackballed doesn't make invalid the merits for his inclusion in the team. Hoffenheim were 9W4D5L with Brooks in the starting lineup.

The US could use a right-sided scorer in the lineup. Zendejas had been an abject failure at the Gold Cup but showed great improvement this past season. A few minutes in the friendlies to test him would've been useful.

Agree. Disagree. No worries.

nbarbour repped this.
  20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Brooks ended the season on the bench. It would suggest that the Hoffenheim coach assessed he was not part of why they had a good record when he was in the lineup. Maybe he's wrong. We can agree or disagree with his assessment.

gomichigan24 and RossD repped this.
  21. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    My list isn't really a bet against anyone...except Ream, Moore and 1-2 gk. Robinson is a good bet to start, imo, if he is healthy and back to full form (I haven't seen him, so cannot comment at all on where he is or isn't).

That being said, I do believe that the list is a group of players that haven't really cemented a spot...and could be vulnerable. I also believe that 2 years is a huge amount of time for very young players (18-20ish) and projecting exactly who will take a big step is very difficult.

We have two areas of particular difficulty and that is defense in general, starting CBs and backup outside backs and striker. that makes those areas particularly vulnerable. Miles Robinson (if healthy) and Richards probably have the inside track at CB but backup is pretty even. If Robinson stays....who is out if Trusty makes it? I don't see Lund sticking around. Neal? What about Che? what if he breaks into the defense as a rb? If so, does his versatility (he has played cb) reduce the number of CBs taken? I don't know and I'm not projecting. I'm just saying that we shouldn't be surprised if 5-6 of the players on the Copa roster aren't there in 26.

Which ones are left off depends on up coming competition at specific positions and on the numbers at each position. At the WC we brought 3 strikers (Ferreira, Sargent, Wright) but 4 to Copa. (Balo, Pepi, Wright, Sargent). If he brings 3 to WC, who stays home? What if we have a non current roster player blow up and go on a Hoppe-like run before the WC? What do you do? Go with a hot player?

At striker, we don't have anyone that has shown they can consistently put it in the net for us. You can say it is the "system" all you want (I tend to agree), but bottom line is that Berhalter will be looking for someone that can score, and until he does, all of the strikers/attackers will be under pressure. That includes Pepi and Balogun but I don't see them being replaced. More vulnerable in my view are Sargent, Aaronson, Wright.

So, there are probably at least 2-4 that we agree on as good bets (gk, Ream, Moore) and a few that we agree are in at least some danger of not keeping their spot (LDLT, Lund, Aaronson and possibly McKenzie). put that together and we could say there is a very good chance that at least 4-5 players on the current roster won't be here in 2 years. That's pretty conservative in my book but still quite a big number for such a young team, when only one of the players we are talking about is what would be considered old. Myself, my guess would be at least 5-6 players losing their spot but that is just me. I could be very wrong.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, you could note that Brooks has ended up on the bench everywhere and ask yourself if it is likely he got benched at Hoffenheim for essentially the same reason.

23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me the locked in spots for the 2026 roster are if healthy are: Jedi, Richards, Dest, Adams, Musah, McKennie, Reyna, Pulisic, Weah,

That’s 8 players.

Category 2 is guys who are probably in but it’s not 100 percent locked. I consider Turner, Scally, Robinson, Cardoso, Tillman, Balogun, and Pepi to be in this category. Sargent is right on the edge for me given the injuries and that a 23 man roster may only have two 9s. That’s 7 players (or 8 depending on how you count Sargent).

I have Ream in his own category as his inclusion will just depend on how he ages over the next couple of years.

That leaves 9 players who spots I think are the most at risk at not making it to 2026. That’s Horvath, Johnson, Lund, Moore, CCV, McKenzie, LDLT, Aaronson, and Wright. Of those players the centerbacks are most likely to make it as there’s not a ton behind them. And there’s also the complication that if World Cup rosters are 23 three players are automatically not making it no matter what.

Thinking broadly, players I’m watching you could conceivably fight their way onto the roster include:

GK: Schulte, Slonina, Callender, Celentano, Freese, Kochen, Brady, and Beavers.
    LB: Wiley, Tolkin, Gomez
    RB: Reynolds, Jones
    CB: Trusty, Zimmerman, Neal
    DM: Tessmann, Morris, Maloney
    CM: Busio, McGlynn, Cremaschi, Buck, Puktsas, Bassett
    AM: Aaranson, Gutierrez, Luna, Sullivan
    WF: Esmir, Kolesheo, Cowell, Booth, Parades, Zendejas
    FW: Vazquez, Ferreira

With the younger guys on the watch list there’s a good chance many of them don’t reach the required level, but a handful might.

Mahtzo1 and TrueCrew repped this.
  24. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pegasus, tomásbernal and schrutebuck repped this.
  25. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Only the late bloomers Wright and LDLT are keeping California on this page.

Is Haji Wright the most successful LA Galaxy academy product?

Yowza and gomichigan24 repped this.