2024 USL/NWSL/USOC/MLS Next Pro Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by weka, Mar 5, 2024.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beau Dure, ShayG and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  2. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    This VAR check in the same game took a while as well.

3. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    This seems like a textbook case of non-deliberate play for the purposes of offside.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Try explaining to the color analyst who kept going on for the next 5 minutes how she couldn't understand how that was offside.

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'm still hoping someone explained to Efan Ekoku that a player can be in an offside position even if a defender is between him and the goal line if he's behind the goalkeeper.

6. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's interesting to me is that when I watch the clip of the second offside review in the Angel City/KC game, it's one of the better reviews I've seen at any level. It was a great spot on the offside offense, all other potential incidents were quickly cleared, and had super efficient communication on the complicated offside play -- not a word wasted. I think that review deserves a lot of praise overall.

But they didn't highlight the first offside review of the game, where the crew got a much simpler play totally wrong.

7. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
  8. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Almost a perfect replica of the LAFC situation. Same position on the field, same slide by defender, same dive mechanics by the attacker. I hope Jon Freemon sees this video to see how it’s done, by a USLC ref of all people.

Only issue was the weird point at the beginning, not sure what that was.

9. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    April 14, 2024 Philadelphia at Atlanta, the 2nd PHI goal tying the game at 2-2 (76th minute), the throw looked illegal to me. I didn't hear the announcers mention it, but it was pretty clear. Take a look at this screenshot.
    20240414AtlPhi_GoalAfterThrowIn76_29.jpg

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Back of the heel only needs to barely touch the line. Looks like it is. And the AR has a better angle than the photo does.

RefIADad and Mountainia repped this.
  11. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    What is illegal about it? Back of front foot is touching the line, the second foot it on the ground.

12. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
  13. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I think I see space between the heel and the line. But the ref has a better view than mine.

14. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
  15. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
  16. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
  17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    weka repped this.
  18. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Oh, I know that. They are good which is why they're assigned those matches.

Although I know a certain place where they most definitely thought the case.

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question was never if but rather when and where, at least for those names who were already working these games to some degree. Their relative absence for a few weeks was notable, but as we're discussing over in the MLS thread, perfectly explainable as well. For now, at least when it comes to the on-field assignments, there hasn't been any rumbling of any MLS trials as of yet. That doesn't mean they're not coming. Excepting Kelly and Stavridis, it took a few months in 2014. That said, PRO is *burning* through trial whistles these next few weeks (would incl. Da Silva from this past weekend unless he got hired and hasn't made the website yet), and they only get so many per year from my understanding.
    FWIW, Lorenzo Hernandez made, for my money, the single best individual decision during the lockout when he turned down a DC penalty appeal for handball after which Miami immediately marched down the other way and scored. I'm no assessor, but by my eyeball test, I wouldn't be surprised if he came out of the lockout with the best numbers. Obviously I don't rate his personal ethics, but I do think he out-performed the presumed #1 they used on opening night.

20. Twotone Jones

Twotone Jones Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2023
    I understand you do a fair job of tracking past and present assignments. Do you know what level Lorenzo Hernandez was featuring at last season and, maybe, the season prior? My question is related to if he's seeing improved assignments post-lockout vs. last season. If he was working regularly in USL1 and local MLSNP games but now he's doing USLC and traveling around the country, then he's probably improved his standing from his performance during the lockout.

21. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

weka repped this.
  22. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year he had 2 USL-C whistles in Birmingham and Las Vegas. Of his four MLSNP whistles, he only really traveled a significant distance for one (Galaxy II). Lots of North Texas, Houston, and Tulsa in his recent history. Going to New Mexico for a 4th last year would have been a decent hike, though. Mixed bag, but not a huge number of overall assignments, either. Seems like he's been doing a couple of USL-C whistles per year since 2020.

23. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Charlotte vs Rhode Island 2-2 at HT. Entertaining so far.

But the all Michigan fixture with Detroit City vs Michigan Stars quickly turning chippy with 3 yellows at the half.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  24. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're watching this one. You got any idea who's in the middle? Was that really a play on?

25. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    I am not sure who said it last year but the saying that "US Open Cup" early rounds are definitely some of the hardest games to officiate is definitely ringing true in these 3rd round fixtures. Already a red and multiple scuffles across all games.