2024 U.S. Open Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Jul 19, 2023.

1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The fact that someone like Juan Agudelo isn't in the top 20 goal scorers in the USL Championship is testament to the league being deep enough that a guy who was a decent scorer at the MLS level can't just step in and dominate, even on a team that currently has the league leader in assists and chances created playing for them. Agudelo has played 71 games now at the USLC level and scored 14 goals in league play. That's not bad, at all, but he's scoring at only a slightly better pace than he did in MLS.

2. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His goalscoring rate is quite a bit higher than his last season in MLS. ;)

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  3. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Apparently wearing pink made him lose sight of the goal completely.

4. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Highest 2 goalscorers in USL right now couldn't cut in MLS. Never scored a goal.

I'm sure if they return to MLS they can make decent back ups but no where near starters. They might even be better than Miguel Berry who I think isn't that far off from joining USL soon.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I am actually happy about the improvement in usl because I'm not a weirdo with a "there can only be one" mentality.

STR1 repped this.
  6. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    This right here. More quality soccer in this country means more people get the chance to watch quality soccer in this country.
    Pretty simple

STR1 and Burr repped this.
  7. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy to watch USL, I just don't need to believe US Open Cup needs MLS or USL to exist in Open Cup. The Cup has been around longer than both leagues put together.

8. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So at this stage, is there any reason to hope MLS might go back to all teams entering next year? Or is it more likely they'll go in the other direction?

I guess we're hoping that US Soccer will be able to pull off some sort of sponsorship announcement after this year's final that will improve the tournament.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that all teams will enter next year. Even the A teams fielded mainly reserve and supplementary players.

My hope is that MLS and MLSPA can do a deal where Open Cup games are treated like friendlies so they have an unlimited roster.

That way teams that want to take it seriously can and teams that want to use it as a run out for their reserve team can too, without nominating an A or B squad.

In the meantime USSF can try and turn it into a competitive, meaningful, profitable tournament and maybe even get a streaming partner.

Burr and AeroNaught repped this.
  10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when has that been the case? Philadelphia got in hot water years ago when then coach Piotr Nowak played Academy player and eventual HGP Zach Pfeffer against Chivas Guadalajara in a friendly. The Union weren't allowed to sign any home grown players for a few years after that complaint from the MLSPA was resolved.

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    There is no one like Juan Agudelo. There is Grand Canyon size gap between how he could play and how he is playing. With whatever he has between his ears he might be 20th best striker in U-17 league as well.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I'd seen something in the latest CBA about exceptions to the roster rules for non-competitive games. I may be wrong, I usually am.

13. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS had "an easy business decision but a difficult emotional decision" to scale back its involvement in the US Open Cup. I love the competition but what you have said is so true. I know how hard DC United worked over the years to try and build up the Open Cup to little success.

I hate to say it but outside those of us who are soccer fanatics, most fans just didn't or don't care. Even when DC United included an Open Cup game in the season ticket packages, season ticket holders complained about the extra money they had to pay for the games. DC also tried moving the venue from RFK to Maryland Soccer Complex to save money, provided all the support staff, promotions and player appearances and still fans did not show up.

I also know how little broadcasting interest there is from media and sponsorships. So little that US soccer could not even get the games on any TV or later streaming service.

The bottom line is that we have the romance of the Open Cup and its David vs Goliath matchups and the potential for a "March Madness" type of tournament, but the economic reality hits hard. It is US Soccer's responsibility to address; they have failed miserably to date.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really good interview with one of the owners of New Mexico United:

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny thing about this video is that it ignores that USL is exactly the same as MLS. The only difference is that the owners of the team doesn't get a cut of the expansion fees. Lol. Of course, it's not hard totake a dump on Fischer and how he has run the Earthquakes, but a lot of his claims are just not supported by the facts.

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Burr, AZUL GALAXY and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    2024 US Open Cup
    Home team first.
    Times are ET

Round of 16

Tuesday, May 21
    Charleston Battery (USL-C) v. Atlanta United (MLS) 7:00 pm
    NYCFC II (NP) v. New Mexico United (USL-C) 7:30 pm
    Sporting Kansas City (MLS) v. FC Tulsa (USL-C) 8:30 pm
    Sacramento Republic (USL-C) v. San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) 10:00 pm
    Los Angeles FC (MLS) v. Loudoun United FC (USL-C) 10:30 pm

Wednesday, May 22
    Indy Eleven (USL-C) v. Detroit City (USL-C) 7:00 pm
    Tampa Bay Rowdies (USL-C) v. FC Dallas (MLS) 7:30 pm
    Seattle Sounders (MLS) v. Phoenix Rising (USL-C) 10:30 pm

The 8 winners advance to the Quarterfinals on July 9/10.

Sounders78 repped this.
  19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooo. The playlist is already populated. That is great and should be used by everyone rather than going through the leagues' and USSF's website. The streams on those ones are trash.

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There shouldn't be a need for the links at all, as the games should be available vis a simple search. As usual US Soccer is dropping the ball when it comes to making the USOC available. I'm surprised (no I'm not) that they couldn't get these games on CBS Sports Network (hell the Golazo Network...) or FS1 on a Tuesday night........

Burr, AZUL GALAXY, STR1 and 3 others repped this.
  22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, but, as TheCup.US notes, USSF, USL, and MLS is using these games as a marketing tool to get email addresses.

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's nice. And completely stupid, and shows that none of these parties really cares all that much about the US Open Cup.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, they are proving the point MLS was making, even though I still don't agree with MLS bowing out.

Paul Calixte, Burr, AZUL GALAXY and 4 others repped this.
  25. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet the pro/ rel usl fanboys won’t akwolgize this

AZUL GALAXY, jaykoz3, STR1 and 1 other person repped this.