2024 Season: Another New Dawn

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Deadtigers, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do? Pray tell. I’d be hard-pressed to call our XI.

3. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Coronel
    Duncan Nealis Eile Tolkin
    Amaya Edelman
    Morgan Forsberg Vanzier
    Manuel

Bench: Reyes, Nealis, OMeara,Harper, Carmona, Burke, Stroud, Agouma

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm… that’s a less novel XI than I was expecting.

If Morgan is really finally fit, and can play somewhere near his peak potential, that would really get me going! But I am not holding my breath.

Vanzeir? I would give him some games, maybe half a season, but if he ends up being Klimala 2.0, then I may vote for cutting our losses as we did with Patryk.

Manuel? He showed some signs at the end of the season, but he really needs to raise his level and consistency. We shall see.

Eile? Who dat?? Missed my radar.

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    https://www.newyorkredbulls.com/players/noah-eile/
    .Eile is a 6'5 Swedish U-20 defender. We didn't get him to not start him. He is on a 4 year contract and we know Reyes is military medium so make sense.

NorthBank repped this.
  6. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Dawn or Down? LOL
    Anyway, I believe Tolkien has been injured and has hardly played in preseason. Doubt he plays. Probably both Nealis in the back. Reyes is a starter. Seems like anywhere you read or see, people think that the Forsberg signing is a huge boost to our team. A real leader. Will that translate into more scoring chances? Yes. Will we actually score on those chances? That’s the big question mark. Consensus seems to be if we actually get a real 9 then we become a top contender.
    Nashville has been poor since the second half of last season and hasn’t improved itself. I think we can take this one.

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am telling you Elie will take Reyes spot. Reyes is good for one big mistake a game. Maybe not the first game of the season but we will find out. I still don't have the apple MLS package so I may watch a torrent or IPTV.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up until halftime, NYRB by far the better team, versus Nashville, but profligate in their finishing.

My first glimpses of Forsberg, probably ever. Looks promising as a creator, but didn’t exactly start with consistent quality. His first shot and FK we’re both skied into Row Z.

Funny to see a Red Bull reunion in their midfield 3. Yearwood I’m happy to see gone, Davis I’m ambivalent about, Muyl is the only one I really miss at all.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was 2 points dropped in my book. Even though we never led, we totally should’ve won that game. And at the end we were almost just hanging on for a draw.

A few good signs however. We shall see..,

Dyvel repped this.
  10. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange reaction. On one hand, you could see better play with far more scoring opportunities. On the other hand, same old problems of not scoring. And this was against a team missing their best player. Definitely points were lost here. Morgan returning will eventually help in the scoring department but he’ll need time to get fit. I swear, if this team got a legitimate DP scoring forward or striker, we would be a top three team in the league.
    In case anyone didn’t see it, Chicago was tied with Philadelphia in injury time. Barlow received a deep pass and was one on one with the keeper. Acres of room to simply go around and score in an empty net. He kicks the ball straight at the keeper. Good riddance to him and his number one fan, Troy Lesesne.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I couldn't remember the website I used for torrents since it has been like 2 years. I gave up watched the highlights. We should have scored at least 3. We have not had a scoring 9 since BWP.

Forsberg looked good and Vanzier didn't look bad. Manuel still is not it. I would like Burke to get a go. I didn't like the 442 as I couldn't tell who drops to help the midfield as I don't want the midfield getting over run.

I also want to mention I was only wrong about the two guys that were injured. Outside of that, I was on point about the line-up.

We definitely dropped two points. Let's see who it goes tonight.

13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We are in H-Town trying to get our first win of the season.

Injury Report

New York Red Bulls
    • Ryan Meara - Groin (Out)
    • Serge Ngoma - Hamstring (Out)
    • Curtis Ofori - Ankle (Out)
    • Cory Burke - Groin (Questionable)
    • Kyle Duncan - Hamstring (Questionable)
    • John Tolkin - Groin (Questionable)
    Losing Tolkin And Duncan will hurt.
    L-R
    Coronel
    Mena Eile Nealis Nealis
    Stroud Amaya Edelman Forsberg
    Manoel Vanzier

We have no firepower on that bench so it will be interesting to see what happens. That was what we at least had with Omir.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great win @HOU. We’re playing well, confidently, direct/incisive passing. 2 sweet goals, but both came from mistakes by the opponent. You could argue that a draw would’ve been a fair result, but we took our chances and then managed the game for the last 20 minutes or so that always makes me nervous, but we pulled it off.

ps. Great to see Morgan get 60+ mins. AND to re-open his account after such a long hiatus.

15. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way would a draw be a fair result. We outplayed them. Mistakes? Our style of play forces opponents turnovers. Maybe we’ve become so accustomed to seeing it that we don’t realize it?
    Anyway, coming home with four out of six points on the road. Starting to sense the franchise is getting back. Not supporters shield, top tier back but just under that. Safely and easily a playoff team that doesn’t have to fight and claw for the last playoff spot. I sense optimistic vibe that would turn into jubilation if they would just spend some damn money on their final DP for a legit striker.

16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I am not a pro scout but I have found my guy. Now to write an email or letter to De Guzman.

Ok so I look at how BWP was our greatest striker from 2010-2020. Thierry was great but he was much more a creator than scorer.

Now look at his history. But of a goal scorer but always a middling career in the English Championship
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Wright-Phillips

Now look at the current Championship leading goal scorers
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/stats/_/league/eng.2

So with that list, you look at Ike Ugbo. https://www.espn.com/soccer/player/bio/_/id/225545/ike-ugbo

Ugbo plays for a side in Sheffield Wednesday is looking like good candidates to be relegated. In 28 games, 10 as a sub he has 10 goals. That is a good count. I think he will hit 15 and this is our guy. Did I mention he is 6'1, 175lb, Capped by Canada (that has to be worth some kind of assistance money), and most importantly, he is 25, so just the right age profile.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure we like how we're playing so far. But it's been 2 games. Way to early to drink the Kool-Aid IMHO. ;)

18. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cold and wet but I’ll be there tonight. No Vanzeir starting but Morgan, Tolkien, and Deadtigers favorite Reyes are starting.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not.

But I hope to tryout the local radio option on AppleTV which I just learned about this week.

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Hope you go hoarse from cheering. I don't hate nor love Reyes. Duncan frustrates me the most

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 NorthBank, Mar 9, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    Good win. Yet another game where we were clearly the better team. And deserve the win. Even though we should’ve buried at least one more goal, so that the final minutes weren’t as nervy!

ps. Forsberg may be our best DP signing since I can’t remember when.

22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I wish I could remember the torre t sight I used so I can watch the full game.

Best DP since The King of Goals?

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup BWP would be the last. Of course.

24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The king of goals is Sergio Galvan Rey <shudder>

And yes I am joking. BWP was a great signing

25. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should’ve worn my rain pants and not just the coat. I’m so angry at myself. They tarped off the last 5-10 rows in each section going around the upper tier. Normally I’m against tarps because it’s a bad look. However, by doing this, it concentrated the crowd to all sit in the first 15 or so rows. This made the sound and atmosphere much much better. Not a bad idea actually. When I got there, I was expecting maybe 1000 people to show up. I was shocked in a good way how many actually went in this weather.

I’m sure you all watched the game so the only thing I’ll add is that last week and last night, I see a trend from this coach that he prefers to bunker down the last 10 minutes with a lead and concede ALL possession to the other team. Im not saying don’t add defensive subs but c’mon dude. Dallas could’ve scored if not for Coronel in a formation that’s supposedly to close out a game. It’s gonna bite us in the ass one day. Maybe I’m reading it wrong. Anyway, great start to the season.

NorthBank repped this.