2024 Revs Pre-Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Nov 9, 2023.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think it's fair to say Omar sucks - he performed pretty well this year and was pretty consistent. That said, he's way overpaid for his role. And, for me, I'll always admire him for saying what needed to be said at the end of the season - especially considering it absolutely burned any remaining bridge for him to return.

I think Makoun is a coaching failure - you can't tell me a guy who is a starter in CONMEBOL WC qualifying and can start against Brazil isn't good enough to play on the Revs (he becomes one of a history of Latin-American players that the Revs have not been able to utilize productively).

If Maciel is still taking an international spot, that explains his option decline.

If we're freeing up 2 international slots, that's a hopeful sign that at least we hope to better utilize them.

2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am rooting for Boateng to get interest from somewhere else and force the Revs to pay him a decent salary or move on. For instance, I would agree that Omar did some good fill in this year. But, I have to say that Boateng has more impact than Omar, Sweat, Rennicks, Maciel, Spaulding…. IIRC he is released and renegotiated over and over. Does he have a horrible agent? I’m sure the response is that this player, who winds up having relatively high impact season after season, is really only worth 85K.

VTSoccerFan and pwykes repped this.
  3. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    With the year end decisions and the impending arrival of Nick Lima, we are left with a grand total of.... 2 open roster spots.

I dont know about yall but that's significantly less roster turnover than I was hoping to see

4. BAC2829

BAC2829 Member

Apr 15, 2023
    I agree, but there's still plenty of time for more outgoing transfers.

For me, a perfect offseason (aside from the obvious of bringing in a decent head coach) would look something like this:

1. Sort out the GK issue. Either go with Vaklic (who does have the pedigree to be an MLS-quality GK, if last year's issue can be resolved), or bring in a replacement with a similar salary.

2. Bring back Bou on a TAM deal - although that's looking less likely with every passing day.

3. Find a way to sell Vrioni, then bring in a new DP #9. I really wanted it to work out with him, but it just isn't.

4. Use TAM (or the rumored 4th DP slot) to bring in a top-class defensive CM. This might be a controversial take, what with this being such a glutted part of our roster, but I think having REAL quality in the engine room could be what takes this team to the next level. Then, we could let Kaye go.

5. Bring in defensive depth with whatever $ and roster spots are left over. Lima was a good start. Another decent CB could be nice.

Caveat* - I use the term "TAM" like I know what I'm talking about - but does anyone really know how all this nonsense works?

pwykes repped this.
  5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Bou posted a "thank you new England" video compilation I think the chances of seeing him return on a deal at any price point are slim.

6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Listening to the Revolution Recap podcast and they think that Kevyn Hitchcock is returning (and, needless to say, it remains to be seen whether he and Vaclik can/will work together).

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was injured, not fit or bad form, it would have been one thing, but it was really disturbing to read where Vaclik said he hadn't even spoken with him in like 3-4 weeks...

firstshirt repped this.
  8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like they are paying him over 400k to basically train by himself with no guidance. If Hitchcock comes back Onolfo and the new coach better read him the riot act and change things. Vaclik should be given a fair chance to earn the job

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trade day is coming up next week. Its possible to see a few people move

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    As I've said before, Hitchcock has a very impressive 5 year track record (Turner and Petro, and making EEJ a serviceable backup). It sounds like under Bruce he was given leeway to make GK decisions, including which ones were rostered.

The org bypassing him to sign Vaclik seems like a miss by them, not the guy who knows more about GK than the entire remainder of the organization combined

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So no coach and we have the following coming up:
    Dec. 6 - Dec. 9 - MLS College Showcase
    Dec. 11 - Trade Window
    Dec. 12 - End-Of-Year Waivers
    Dec. 13 - Free Agency Opens
    Dec. 14 - Re-Entry Process Stage 1
    Dec. 19 - MLS SuperDraft - Revs pick 20th
    Dec. 21 - Re-Entry Process Stage 2
    According to the Players association website, Gil, Farrell and Edwards Jr are free agents along with Sweat, Bou, Rennicks, Boateng, and Slowmar Gonzalez,

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't mesh with what the Revs put out.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSPA website must not have updated their info

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Gil is definitely under contract for next season - he acknowledged that in the wake of the whole Arena implosion.

And, Farrell is back with another raise, up to something in the $600K range. For whatever reason, his salary has and continues to be kind of out of line with his peers. Maybe it's just from starting out as a top draft pick and getting step raises from there, but it seems like the club has never been interested in pushing back salary-wise, like they are with many/most other players. If I were Brandon Bye's or Dujuan Jones' agent, I would be demanding something at least comparable, seeing as they are inked-in, regular starters, while Farrell is ... not any longer.

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Bou out, I'd expect that increases the likelihood that Vrioni goes unsold because Gil needs guys he trusts around him. Gil is really high on Vrioni, so I'd expect the Revs would be wary of pulling another security blanket from him. (Of course, a lot will depend on the coach-to-be.)

18. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd expect that too.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but it's put-up-or-shut-up time. If he doesn't win the starting job and have 8+ goals by the Leagues Cup break, he'll be loaned out or sold.

pwykes repped this.
  20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say I blame him. Only 15 appearances (2 starts) for the first team this year, 382 minutes. Nothing for R2. You can't grow if you don't play.

pwykes and BERich repped this.
  22. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I'm not surprised rennicks is looking elsewhere. At this point he's been bypassed by other players from the academy who are younger than him. The revs clearly don't have a use for him either

What's surprising is: Finland? The team he's joining us mid table in one of the worst 1st divisions in Europe. The average wage in the league is $40k pre tax (he made $120k in his final season with the revs), and it's not like Finland is known for being a great place to live. On top of that the leather didn't exactly export talent to better leagues; league wide ~3 players get sold every year to places like Norway

I'm surprised he went that route as opposed to joining a usl side, where he would be paid more, taxed less, and probably have better living conditions.

23. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's just looking for a totally different experience in his life. I wish him well. He's not a great player, but he gives a good effort and seems like a good guy.

pwykes and BERich repped this.
  24. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finland is the happiest country on Earth, didn't you know that?
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/world-happiest-countries-2023-wellness/index.html

Quality of life is pretty damn good in the Nordic countries, in general.

As for why Finland over the USL? I hate to say it, but I suspect USL teams weren't interested.

pwykes and rkupp repped this.
  25. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    That's weird. All the finns I know are clinically depressed, because there stuck in the snow 8 months of the year. Denmark/Sweden/Norway I'd totally get but not Finland