2024 Other teams roster moves and news

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Dec 6, 2023.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Oh, I think he's feeling heat. Maybe he's not worried about not being able to get in the building tomorrow, but he certainly knows very well that coaching is all about results and you only get so many chances; not to mention that he is undoubtedly a hyper-competitive person. So, no, I don't think he's sleeping well at night.

Aren't we being a bit (no, extremely) impatient here? Porter's not to blame for last year's disaster or the fact that he didn't get hired until January - rather than last September. The team has been hit pretty hard with injuries and he's only had a few months. Yes, results have been pretty dismal, but his record is that his teams start improving - so let's see what happens when he has most of his key players available.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is? Where do you see that?

Last month I looked at the first 10 games of each of Porter's seasons as a head coach. Most were mediocre. The 2 years he won the Cup were 2015 and 2020. In 2015 he started 3W-3L-4D. In 2020 he had best start ever, 7W-1L-2D. They went 5-5-3 the rest of the way.

The only year (before 2024) he got off to a poor start was 2014, 1W-3L-6D, and they missed the playoffs that year.

So, years that end in 4 he is bad, but Curt is banking on years that are multiples of 5 he wins the Cup!

pwykes repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's less about Porter than about the stench of the organization as a whole.

Had they hired Porter early in the off-season he would have been able to make personnel decisions when decisions needed to be made. The failure to get a striker is on Onalfo, not Porter. As Bill Parcells used to say, you have to let the chef buy the groceries. Porter was not able to go shopping, so he has to work with what he has.

But that doesn't absolve him--there have been lots of avoidable mistakes on his end. What's frustrating about Porter is that the general consensus from other fans was that he'd be successful in the short term, but would wear out his welcome in a couple of years. I would have been OK with that, but it looks like we've skipped the "successful" part. At least for this year.

rkupp, patfan1 and BERich repped this.
  4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I'm starting not to trust the general consensus of people outside the organization.

I keep hearing how great our Midfield is, how all 4 of them are MLS quality and that Polster is the best of it. I keep seeing them pass directly to opponents and get caught in possession and not close down.

I keep hearing how good our CBs are. But somehow the best guy (in my opinion Romney) can't even get on the field. We have 5 CBs who are all paid more than $500k per year. You'd think with all that spending we could figure something out

5. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt like the part about “3 years” before the Krafts did anything was intended to communicate that I don’t think we have any choice BUT to be patient. I still think he is underachieving even given his challenges. In particular, if he needs 5 new signings to get Gil back to being THE ENGINE then we’re in for some hard times.

I think Turner and Petro definitely masked defensive problems but I swear I’m seeing 2-3x the number of brain farts now than before. Also, Turner and Petro at least benefited from an offense that could overcome at least a single goal against.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are definitely more brain farts, but I also feel a lot of those are coming from the goalies themselves. It's obviously different seeing something with your eyes than just the stats, but this kinda shows me that the situation in goal is definitely a major drop off. The shots allowed per game are relatively consistent, but the number that blatantly stands out is the save %.
    upload_2024-5-17_7-50-54.png

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    For a long time now (at least since Arena was hired, which includes our record-setting supporter's shield season) we haven't had even an above-average defense. We succeeded, when we did, but putting other teams on the defensive with a dangerous attack, including counter-attack.

When our transition game fails or becomes slow and predictable, there is no deterrence for teams to push the attack or pressure our defense. So, to me, our inadequate dmid pairing can't/won't get the ball quickly into the attack and won't risk making plays that threaten opponents defenses. So, teams can put pressure on our defense and goaltender and expose the imperfections and force mistakes. That has always happened when teams felt free to push up against us.

Yes, outstanding goalkeeping helped save us from some of those breakdowns, but Ravas and Ivacic have both done well with the most basic of goaltending tasks - stopping shots.

We need real 2-way defensive midfielders and both the offense and defense will suffer until we can upgrade there. I feel like that's been a problem for most of the last 10 years, at least.

davidRN and tsb11 repped this.
  8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think your numbers say something different than you do.

If you look at xG-G or PSxG-G for each of the Petrovic/Turner seasons youre listing you find that they make up a considerable number of the top 10 seasons in MLS ever for those metrics.

Ravas, by comparison, is simply league average. So of course its a huge dropoff. We went from 2 of the best guys the league has ever seen, who both went and played in the premier league, to a guy thats MLS starter level average. What didnt change was how bad our defense, especially transition defense, is and how many high quality shots our GK faces. And the main culprit for that is our weak CM/DMs, who both are responsible for losing the ball badly leading to transition chances and for not having the ability to close down and break up plays in the middle 3rd

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with you. But as Bob has said elsewhere, the CM/DM problem has been there, so has the defense. So what's changed?

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    What's changed is exactly what I said in my comment. We went from 2 all time MLS great GK to a simply average one.

People want to focus on what changed, but it's much easier to fix the worst starting midfield in MLS than it is to go out and find the next "best GK ever in MLS"

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so you and I agree.

12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Gotcha, the way you phrases it it sounded like you were saying GK was at fault for the teams woes.

I am more the opinion that great GK was covering up the teams woes causes by an awful midfield

BERich and davidRN repped this.
  13. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Charlotte are in talks to sign Marco Reus. This was a name that crossed my mind as someone the Revs should pursue. He's not in his first youth, but, uh... he'd be better than what we have now.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love Marco but he will be 35 in 11 days and has had some injury issues in the past.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure who is saying they are good, I think they are crap. I agree on Romney but it sounds like he is in the dog hours. If the Revs are paying this lot over 500k they are getting ripped off

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kessler - $1M (he only made $200K in 2023)
    Arreaga - $775K
    Farrell - $684K
    Romney - $675K
    Mensah - $450K
    Total: $3.584M

firstshirt repped this.
  17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is disheartening to see

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Get off your duff, Onalfo! This roster needs a striker!

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, but, but... There was a big crowd Saturday night! Why do we need to make any rash moves?

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew with a couple of moves. Morris isn't leaving yet though, timing isn't set.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BrianLBI repped this.
  24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincinnati trying to make a big splash.

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That would be a blow to the USNT - almost every euro player who has come to MLS has declined.