2024 Paris Olympics Thread (July 24-August 9)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Why are folks so high on this Mighten kid? Honest question. I can’t watch the C’ship. Makes me ill.

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Highly doubt. He is just a very poor player. I can name a dosen younger and better kids now, and for sure more will pop up.

3. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I won’t call him poor, but I do expect others to pop up.;)

butters59 repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    To be fair.....................................Mighten is in the Premier League with Forest this season.

We'll presumably take a look at him, but it'll be after WC22.

5. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I knew they went up. Just couldn’t watch the Cship, which was last year. I guess the question is, does he actually have EPL quality?
    How far off is he? If he like Tillman and we will have to see what happens in a few years?
    Is it just, he switched to the US so he is much better now, or at least until we actually see him play.:D;)

I see the usual calling for him on the US boards which immediately makes me think the worst.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Do we really have to answer for every darnfool thing someone says about soccer on the internet here in this forum? We got enough darn fools around here as it is, and I should know.

Ray Shoesmith, Winoman and butters59 repped this.
  7. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know. We're about to find out.

But due to the aforementioned insecurity complex, we believe he should be called in because he has a British accent. He MUST be better than domestic options. Listen to him speak!!!

It's the same thing I believe about Tillman. People were all agog about his switch and started dreaming about him. He was developed at Bayern Munich!!! Then they watched his first appearances in a USMNT forum and collectively said "eh."

We'll see. Alex needs to prove he belongs.

I'm more intrigued to see Richie Ledezma and Konrad de la Fuente this season than Alex Mighten. But that's just me.

9. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Johnny is playing very well in Brazil. It's been hard for me to get past my distaste for him after the last Olympic tournament, but he was just 18. He wasn't ready and it was nobody's fault but Kreis that he was called up. If I were in his shoes I'd never turn down the callup. I think that if he isn't past the point where he'd get released we are very likely to see him as a central figure on the team.

That midfield in the last qualifying tournament was such an embarrassing disaster that anyone could have seen coming. There were many better, more experienced players that would have been able to control the games. Even Hassani Dotson, a mediocre MLS midfielder brought in as an after thought, looked like one of the best players in the tournament.

gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This is a message board, and we like to talk about things, so the threads all cool ... but we probably shouldn't delude ourselves over thinking this roster is anywhere near predictable.

Any that's before you get to releases and the such. It's two years to a roster set, and most of the group that will be going is aging from 20/21 to 22/23 -- a huge period for development.

Players' play not may not be relevant during selection; failed Olympic qualifying from the prior Olympics sure as heck won't be.

deejay, Thundering165 and TheFalseNine repped this.