2024 OFC Nations Cup

Discussion in 'Referee' started by weka, Jun 15, 2024.

1. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    The opening match is going on right now with Vanuatu hosting Solomon Islands. It's being handled by Fijian referee Veer Singh. Personally, he's been very good and I enjoyed watching it.

I don't have the list of referees (I can't find it anywhere one the OFC website) but ones to watch will be Ben Aukwai (SOL). He recently helmed the 2024 OFC CL Final.

You can watch the tournament for free on FIFA+ here: https://www.plus.fifa.com/en/showca...up/3b61c2a1-96c6-4abd-8a20-2f9cb2c9d92f?gl=us

JasonMa repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see a fellow sicko watching the match!

dadman, seattlebeach and weka repped this.
  3. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Heh. I have waited for this tournament since 2016 because I wanted to see Papua New Guinea avenged. They almost beat New Zealand... almost.

You know what else is available on FIFA+ for free? The 2024 OFC U-16 Women's Championship qualification games. June 14-20.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    The only odd thing that was weird was Vanuatu was up 0-1 and they have a minute left in extra time before they seal the 3 points. A Vanuatu goal-kick starts around 93:00 and the GK starts to go towards the ball and quickly changes his mind. He and the defenders then start walking upwards the pitch not even attempting to setup the goal-kick. The ball-boys then run after the ball and try to give them the ball.

I thought to myself, surely, something from the referee will tell them to get a move on. Well, it would if he wasn't so busy looking at the PNG goal. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but if this was in any UEFA/CONCACAF game, the opponent would be swarming the ref to tell the opponents to get a move on.

Overall, Fijian referee Singh let a lot go. His favorite gesture was "no foul" followed swiftly by a "get up" gesture. All carded were absolutely nailed on and let the game flow when needed and only interjected himself at a moment's glance when the temperature rose. For the opening fixture of the Oceanic tournament, I thought he did well.

5. Twotone Jones

Twotone Jones Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2023
    What's the level of a Fijian FIFA, for example? We've seen the #1 OFC referee be lightly used in Qatar (Conger). Fijian club soccer can't be that high of a level. Are we talking about a good national referee in the USA? Or lower than that?

6. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    #6 weka, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2024
    Honestly, I'm not sure but watching Papua New Guinea vs Fiji now (link: https://www.plus.fifa.com/en/player...dc-f34a-447b-9a46-ed712302478c&entryPoint=CTA) and it's pretty stark how different this referee from New Zealand handles this match versus how the Fijian did. Signals are more sharp. Better read of play. But just barely. There's signs of this being a nascent referee team on the pitch. Afterall, its assistant referees are New Zealander Mark Rule and Vanuatuan Jeremy Garae so there may be signs. (Rule has had 17 senior matches in the last 10 years and Garae only a few adult matches with some youth internationals)

I would probably say somewhere between National and PRO. As for this game, this game is waiting for SFP. New Zealander referee Calvin Berg is the whistle and debut international men's tournament. Lots going on but how that foul in 9' wasn't yellow is beyond me.

And now in the 20', a high-pressure, I would wager getting closer but the referee was at the center circle while the GK was being mobbed.

21' A corner kick is adjudged, for example, then 25 seconds later, the offside flag from NZ Mark Rule comes up and CR changes from CK to IDFK.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. Twotone Jones

Twotone Jones Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2023
    Berg was a NTX referee before moving to NZ. I think he was back for Dallas Cup recently. Some of the Super Group matches were tough for him.

8. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    I would wager that many new Nationals and very experienced (5+ years, about to upgrade, etc.) Regionals could definitely do the group-stages. NZ would need a USSF National Referee. Knockout stages could definitely be done by Nationals.

Twotone Jones repped this.
  9. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    So far so good but this will definitely be the test of Berg's career. Let's see how he lands this plane.

Since New Caledonia withdrew from the tournament, only New Zealand, Vanuatu and Tahiti are in Group A.

Predictions for GS2:

Group A
    New Zealand v Solomon Islands: David Yareboinen (PNG)

Group B
    Papua New Guinea vs Tahiti: Kawana-Waugh (NZL)
    Samoa v Fiji: Shama Maemae (SOL)

Honestly, Maemae is honestly a guess since I'm alternating Refs vs 4ths but confederation really doesn't matter as OFC put Conger on a semi in 2016 with New Zealand playing in the other.

10. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    #10 weka, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2024
    New Zealand vs Solomon Islands
    06/18/2024, VFF Freshwater Stadium (MD 2, Group A)

REF: David YAREBOINEN (PNG)
    AR1: Folio MOEAKI (TGA)
    AR2: Malaetala SALANOA (SAM)
    4TH: Teremoana ROIHAU (TAH)

Papua New Guinea vs Tahiti
    06/19/2024, HFC Bank Stadium (MD 2, Group B)

REF: CK KAWANA-WAUGH (NZL)
    AR1: Isaac TREVIS (NZL)
    AR2: Bernard MUTUKERA (SOL)
    4TH: Ben AUKWAI (SOL)

Samoa vs Fiji
    06/19/2024, HFC Bank Stadium (MD 2, Group B)

REF: Calvin BERG (NZL)
    AR1: Jeremy GARAE (VAN)
    AR2: Jeffery SOLODIA (SOL)
    4TH: Shama MAEMAE (SOL)

---

OK, I'll take 2/3! I was kind of feeling hesitant about Maemae handling Samoa vs Fiji so I'm glad they handed the whistle to Calvin Berg (NZL) which makes sense. Berg handled Papua New Guinea vs Fiji with man management that pleased OFC as it got very chippy near the end. Samoa vs Fiji should be a battle.

Although don't miss out on heavy favorites New Zealand and 2012 OFC champions Tahiti as well. Solomon Islands and New Zealand have some history. In 2016, NZ got the best of them 1-0. Time for redemption. This should be a fantastic test for Yareboinen which is coming up in about 30 minutes on this link for free on FIFA+.

11. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Not a fan of Yareboinen's positioning at all. Finds himself in the way of passing lanes way too much. Only misconduct was a 25' yellow which was the most reckless challenge I've seen all tournament. Only KMI thus far is the no-call penalty for Solomon Islands in the 42' when the SI attack practically runs into the Kiwi defender. Good no call. 3-0 HT to, you guessed it, NZ. I look back at the starting XI from 8 years ago -- completely different team and it shows. NZ should find a harder test in Tahiti.

12. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    It ends 3-0 to NZL in what became a one-sided affair with not much for Papua New Guinean referee to do in the 2nd half. However, because of this result, New Zealand and Vanuatu both are confirmed for semi-finals, from Group A, so New Zealand vs Vanuatu (MD3) will be squarely for seeding.

That does change things. Will OFC give this match to Roihau (TAH) or Maemae (SOL) now that both teams might field a weaker squad?

The other big match in MD3 will be Tahiti vs Fiji. Depending on how MD2 in Group B shakes out with probable wins for Fiji and Tahiti, MD3 could also be seeding situation just like Group A.

We will see how MD2 and MD3 shake out.

13. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Even though it's not the OFC Nation's Cup (it is the OFC realm, is that fine @MassachusettsRef?), I looked over the OFC U16 qualifiers game between Papua New Guinea 0-11 American Samoa and saw a yellow which is always interesting.

https://streamff.co/v/9OVSrM751g

14. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Papua New Guinea vs Tahiti https://www.plus.fifa.com/en/player...a3-176f-44ff-a3bc-ca7381cbbfb1&entryPoint=CTA

46' A foul for PNG gets called (holding) and TAH, after the call, pushes the player over out of frustration. CR calmly walks over like it's a sunday league game. You think you'd want some urgency. Either way, it's 1-1 so things are bound to rise as the game nears its end.

47' Sure enough he needs to call two captains over to talk about keeping it clean after a minor scuffle breaks out.

48' PNG foul that honestly should have seen a yellow. How he had no card there is beyond me.

15. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    #15 weka, Jun 19, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2024
    90+8 (out 16 mins extra) - Red card for Tahiti for an off-the-ball incident.

Oh god, hahahahaha. TAH player down writhing in pain and PNG player bends down and slaps (lightly?) the neck/back, I guess, to check on the player? You see it all the time when fouling player walks by and taps shoulder or whatever. The TAH player doesn't like this and swipes, while on ground -- misses. But the PNG player is already turned away and walking away. Then he gets up and slaps him on the back of the head right in front of the referee leaving him no choice but a red card for violent conduct.

90+12: PNG player goes for a kick right in front of a TAH player in front of the 18. PNG player swings and misses and kicks the TAH player right in the knee. Expected a yellow, perhaps? Everyone heard that hit. Definitely reckless.

90+16: Finally a yellow for a very reckless challenge.

16. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    In Group A, New Zealand heavily favorited to win beat Solomon Islands 3-0 meaning Vanuatu v New Zealand is just for seeding. Singh (FJI) and Yareboinen (PNG) already worked with Roihau (TAH) being the only one who hasn't leaving him as the only probable choice for 3rd game.

In Group B, Papua New Guinea drawing 1-1 with Tahiti threw a wrench in some things! Fiji easily dispatching Samoa 9-1 makes Fiji vs Tahiti all the more heated.

Samoa already exited so this would be a good test for Maemae. However, Aukwai needs to work since Berg (NZL) and Kawan-Waugh (NZL) worked last MD.

Vanuatu : New Zealand - Roihau (TAH)

Samoa : Papua New Guinea - Maemae (SOL)
    Fiji : Tahiti - Aukwai (SOL)

17. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Vanuatu vs New Zealand
    06/21/2024, VFF Freshwater Stadium (MD 3, Group A)
    REF: Veer SINGH (FIJ)
    AR1: Malaetala SALANOA (SAM)
    AR2: Avinesh NARAYAN (FIJ)
    4TH: David YAREBOINEN (PNG)

Samoa vs Papua New Guinea
    06/22/2024, HFC Bank Stadium (MD 3, Group B)

REF: Ben AUKWAI (SOL)
    AR1: Mark RULE (NZL)
    AR2: Jeffery SOLODIA (SOL)
    4TH: Shama MAEMAE (SOL)

Fiji vs Tahiti
    06/22/2024, HFC Bank Stadium (MD 3, Group B)
    REF: CK KAWANA-WAUGH (NZL)
    AR1: Isaac TREVIS (NZL)
    AR2: Bernard MUTUKERA (SOL)
    4TH: Calvin BERG (NZL)

OK, so 1/3... sort of. There seems to be an obvious consensus that Maemae and Roihau are serving as 4ths. But the toughest match of MD3 goes to the strongest referee, which I think is true, to Kawana-Waugh. Aukwai on Samoa v Papua New Guinea and Singh the other choice on Vanuatu vs New Zealand. Yareboinen worked MD2 so he'd be out.

Strong referees to close out MD3.

18. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Semi-finals have been set. A Kiwi has to work this round. It's been tradition for that to be case so Berg gets Fiji v Vanuatu. Singh (Fiji) gets the nod since Aukwai and Kawana-Waugh worked last as well.

New Zealand : Tahiti - Yareboinen (Papua New Guinea)
    Fiji : Vanuatu - Berg (New Zealand)

That really leaves the final for Veer Signh (Fiji) as he's been the best non-Kiwi referee all tournament. However, if Fiji win, I'd say they hand the final New Zealand vs Fiji to Ben Aukwai (Solomon Islands).

Now if New Zealand lose....that's a different story and almost assuredly Kawana-Waugh gets the final a la 2012. Time will tell.

19. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    New Zealand v Tahiti: Singh (Fiji)
    Fiji v Vanuatu: Kawana-Waugh (NZL)

So, I was right, sort of? The stronger NZL referee closes out the semi which makes sense because if you want to use your last NZL referee, it has to be the more experienced one. And they took a chance on Fiji v Vanuatu and now with Singh on the semi for NZL v TAH, you have few options left as you've used your best non-Kiwi referee.

That being said....

The 2024 OFC Men's Nations Cup final will be New Zealand vs Vanuatu! That leaves 3rd place match for Tahiti v Fiji. With that being said, the only two referees left are Yareboinen (PNG) and Aukwai (SOL) who haven't had knockout whistles or aren't a conflict.

3rd place: Tahiti : Fiji - Yareboinen (PNG)
    Final: New Zealand : Vanuatu - Aukwai (SOL)

I'm giving the nod to Aukwai as he's looked more composed coming off the 2024 OFC CL Final. Yareboinen did fine but definitely did not get favorable marks in his GS game.

20. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Tahiti : Fiji goes to Kawana-Waugh with Aukwai getting the final!

Surprised to see back to back knockout whistles as I thought surely Yaraboinen would get it. Although surely if Fiji had made it, then the 3rd place match goes to Singh. However it makes sense as Yaraboinen definitely did not look as composed as Singh or Aukwai.

And as expected, Aukwai gets the final whistle. A very good year as has completed the double -- champions league and intercontinental finals whistle.

21. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Red card in the 75' in the final. Starting to get out of hand with clear simulation by NZ player who says his face was hit when clearly... it wasn't as his torso was pushed by VAN player....

For the most part, Aukwai has called a very good game.

22. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    And that's the final whistle! Vanuatu really never had a chance, did they? That made this one of the more easier finals to whistle but the red card (2CT) really could have been managed in the 83'. It was not a yellow nor especially deserving of a 2nd yellow. Vanuatu was down 1-0 until late in the game with the heat rising as they scored another and Aukwai rose to the challenge and it got more sloppy and more heated.

But it didn't really matter because you put these two teams again and one out of, probably, 25 times, Vanuatu win. New Zealand just have that strength with their star player playing in the Serie A (Empoli). The good news, you ask me that question 10 years ago and the answer would have been 50 or maybe 75 times.

See you all in 4 years for another probable New Zealand win.

JasonMa repped this.