2024 MLS Fantasy League: BigSoccer Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TKyle, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny story.

Tuesday night. Me: We are absolutely not getting Messi.

Twenty minutes before Miami-RSL game. Me: Messi needs to be the captain this week.

I am going to sit down and start poring over these tips at some point soon. Thanks.

When we first made the team, I leaned on my experience with American Fantasy Football. This game is.. different yet some tips from AFF translate.

We switched out a bunch of players in favor of Miami and RSL players. Next week we will get back to real sandbox mode.

Agreed. We did that on Wednesday.

2. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn’t it default to the captain being either the same person it was the previous week, or the person in the “slot” on the field where the captain was if that person is not on your roster?

3. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey all. I've been awol from soccer in pretty much every way since the holidays basically. Just realized I never set up a fantasy team so I'm going to have to forgo the first week points. I'll jump in for next week!

Let's say that 419 Crew had a bye week to start the season out because we aren't back from our international money grab friendly tour yet, lol.

TKyle, Ch(Elsey) and GoCrew1996 repped this.
  4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @zman31 - A lot of faith in Alex Matan…

5. Meddlin' Truckstop Owner

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 21, 2022

Fremen Warriors.

Cucho not scoring a second goal for me ... from a PK (!!!)

No Bueno. Lol.

SLSHOT01 and TKyle repped this.
  6. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Back on top ;)

7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are going back to the drawing board for Week Two.

Okay, okay. Now I understand the switcharoos and autoroos. Love the names. Thanks for the teachings. Poor @DrunkandDisorderly. I asked him to explain those two tips/rules on Crewsmas. My brain was not ready. I get it now. Anymore explanation of these nuanced rules is appreciated!

In Week One - We had a starting defender who DNP. Our bad. The DNP is such a scarlet letter(s). Yikes.

I like that the first game of Week Two is the CLB-MIN game on Saturday at two pm. That gives Markus and me this week to talk shop.

8. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Great game time to put your favorite crew players on the bench. If they do well, scrub some starting lineup players. If they suck, fill in the team with starters.

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Kyle. Can you explain the steps to do this move to change formations? I am failing hard.

Thanks in advance.

10. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong Kyle, I know.
    Doing this from memory, so I’m not certain about it, but—pick your starting 11 in the formation you have, then pick your subs, then sub out a player from the position you don’t want, then sub in a player to the position you do want.
    That should do it.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  11. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #61 TKyle, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    Next window is open, and next lockout is just shy of 2pm on Saturday.

The official Open League that@SLSHOT01 set up is called Big Soccer Open--Crew Fantasy League, and the link to sign up for it is in his post near the bottom of the first page.

The BigSoccer Crew H2H league is open and will start on Week 2. League code is PNEJZ9X3.

(I can't delete the Open League that I accidentally created as an H2H league. Consider it as an "Unsanctioned League" like the old NASL.)

"Crew" entries into the proper H2H league that are unaccounted for:
    New Haven
    Knight's Kingdom
    Average Players
    MLS Ohio
    Going Nuclear
    (along with three other non-Crew nitwits who keep re-entering after I've deleted them multiple times)

Let me know if any of you are the above entries (except for the three non-Crew nitwits).

Welcome to:
    Gem City / @boomshea
    Fremen Warriors / @Meddlin' Truckstop Owner
    Speedye 1 / @speedye1

@Tobias C-- I don't have 419 Crew listed in the H2H league. (If you only want to be in the Open League, that's fine).

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong Kyle? Amazing Kyle! You are wonderful. That worked. I feel like a dunce, but Markus is happy. Better to ask the easy question for you all, previously escaping answer for me.

TKyle repped this.
  13. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In.

Ch(Elsey), SLSHOT01 and TKyle repped this.
  14. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The year is 2024. I expected more cheat sheets from “experts” to help us build our weekly lineups.

15. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The autofill put 4 guys on a bye week in my starting lineup. Pro tip: don't do that.

16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I tended to an academic program I manage in central Ohio, which meant I was on the road a lot today. I spent 80 of those minutes listening to a MLS Fantasy podcast, which coincidentally is 80 more minutes than I have ever listened to a MLS Fantasy podcast.

The bad: Listening to Sounders fans and a Cincy fan.

The good: Just about everything else. I learned a bunch. Thanks to @GoCrew1996 and @DrunkandDisorderly, I was already familiar with some of the lingo. Though you never mentioned the babyroo. Haha. I was not as familiar with the farming for value, farming the bench, etc., but it was pretty straightforward.

I found some of their suggestions already lined up with our thinking so that was good. I enjoyed the discussion of value/budget picks, high risk/high reward picks, and overall the explanation of how points are scored.

Bonus - They kept saying Cucho-money. That was precious hearing a Cincy fan complimenting our man, Cucho.

One thing that I was trying to conceptualize but is still lost on me - the movement of points through the weeks. The podcast hosts continued to mention how a guy would increase in value even if he did not have a great week, and how a guy would have to have a gangbuster week to increase... I will just have to watch the points over the first few weeks to "get it."

Quick question - Can a team only have three forwards? Like if you have three starting forwards, you cannot have a bench forward? My apologies if once again I am asking a silly question.

17. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I must be doing it wrong - but when I tried that, it didn't work.

I picked a starting 11. So, let's say I pick a midfielder to remove, and click to remove them from their position?
    ->If I then look at forwards (or defenders), they are ALL locked out (even if I have the $) / I can't move them into my lineup.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance! :)

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to have all the subs in place as well.

Robbo Crewfan and TKyle repped this.
  19. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You can have 3 forwards on roster total.

And can play 3-5-2 4-3-3 5-4-1 5-3-2 or 4-4-2

20. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LZ Crew is correct--you have to have your whole roster filled--including subs--before you can change formation. Then you can, for instance, sub off a starting midfielder and sub on a bench forward and voila--your formation is changed.

21. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @SLSHOT01--there's no way you can boot out the non-Crew riff raff from the BigSoccer Open /Crew Fantasy league that you started, is there? I can't do it with the "Open H2H" error league that I created.

OTOH, the BigSoccer Crew H2H league that I did correctly had an odd number of teams at lockout last week, so it begins this week. I'm thinking I'll have to check the entrants and boot out the imposters right before the lockout. Will that work? Will any of them be able to join when the next window opens?

22. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can also play a 3-4-3.

23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @SLSHOT01 --
    Dammit! I waited until 5 min before the lockout to cull the herd of the non-BS people so they couldn't re-up, but when I try, it says "operation locked." So I guess we have a bunch of randos in our H2H...

24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positive - We can hate on them.

Negative - How are we supposed to talk shit to them?

25. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew