News: 2024 MLS Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think a model that hadn't worked in 25 years would now magically work if MLS hadn't taken the $250 million a year from Apple?

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I wonder how Fox feels about the fact that they paid way less for the rights, but ratings are also down.

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I do wonder how the Galaxy management feel about the deal, since they were getting $5.5 million /year from Spectrum. They didn't gain much by going to streaming. From what I understand, other teams were getting nothing, so they were probably very happy.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $7 million is throwaway money. Obviously they knew the games were going to go be simulcast on Apple.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah, I mean I know they are not shocked. I just wonder if they are happy enough to renew the deal when the time comes.

6. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't understand this logic? You are complaining about the loss of casual viewers, you pay and you don't casually watch anything that you're paying for over the top of your home team. You also point out that you get other content on ESPN+, which I would assume you wouldn't watch because you only watch the Chicago Fire. The league and the players gained maybe three times the revenue from the switch and how would you not want that over more casual fans that had 25 years but showed little growth?

7. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well one could imagine that ratings are down but profits are up since they have lower cost showing the games.

Paul Berry repped this.
  8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Telling: The most watched MLS Cup remains the one from 1996.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Forbes:
    LA Galaxy
    Valuation $480 million
    Revenue $64 million
    Valuation $950 million
    Revenue $95 million

They must be crying all the way to the bank.

10. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that will never change unless millions tune into the Cup that don't have Season Pass. For ten dollars a month, I can't see that happening.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was on Fox last year.

superdave repped this.
  12. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it's on every year but it was also on Season Pass.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copa 2024

Argentina v Canada 70,564
    Peru v Chile 43,030
    Mexico v Jamaica 53,763
    Ecuador v Venezuela 29,864
    USA v Bolivia 47,873
    Uruguay v Panama 33,425

AZUL GALAXY, SetPeace and crookeddy repped this.
  14. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    NRG stadium looks pretty full for Colombia v Paraguay

AZUL GALAXY and SetPeace repped this.
  15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Twitter is melting down over stadiums having some empty seats as we are well on our way to either the highest or second highest Copa of all time.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the 2015 Copa America and they averaged 25,227 a game. The 2016 in America still holds all the records for attendance. This one might break those records looking at the opening game crowds and already over 46k for these games. The Colombia game looks pretty solid in Houston with the whole stadium in yellow.

AZUL GALAXY, SetPeace and RafaLarios repped this.
  17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    People just lose their minds when they see empty seats even though empty seats are the norm for most world soccer. It was a bad idea to have the euros and Copa on at the same time, as people start comparing to the best continental competition in the world (which is also in the midst of setting a new attendance record)

18. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll disagree about the same time being a bad idea. For this side of the world it's awesome with hours of games to watch every day. My thought is that at some point CONCACAF and CONMEBOL will have a new tournament every four years with 24 teams. Gold Cup averaged over 32K in 2023 and is contested every two years unlike Copa America which most recently has been every four years.

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The problem is that this new tournament would only make financial sense in the USA, and I would hate for South America to lose the Copa forever. As for the Gold Cup, it's more popular than it has any right to be. It happens too often, and is filled with B and C squads.

RafaLarios repped this.
  20. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, just one more new tournament. So Copa America and gold cup one year, world cup another. Club World Cup 25, World Cup 26, hemisphere America 27, Copa & Gold in 28. If you go the off year of the Euros, you'll probably get a bigger audience.
    Financially the 2016 Copa America broke records for viewership. I'm sure they are looking at this one closely. You could play games in Canada, US, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina or a few smaller countries could be combined together to host.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. The two competitions generally have different audiences and European clubs aren't going to be happy about some of their best players missing during their carefully planned pre-season, or the risk of injury that would occur playing in a major continental competition after several weeks of rest.

Why would it only make sense in the USA?

The 2019 tournament averaged 33,356 in Argentina, the 2015 tournament averaged 25,227 in Chile and the 2011 tournament averaged 33,947 in Brazil.

Attendances and ticket prices may be higher in the US but so are the costs, including travel and stadium rental.

wantmlsphilly and RafaLarios repped this.
  22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The ticket prices aren't just a bit higher though. They are like 5x higher. And the all important American TV ratings are much higher when hosting for some reason. But that wasn't even my main point. My main point is that CRC, Panama and even USA games wouldn't draw anywhere but in the USA. (Though Panama and CRC barely draw even here... in South America they'd get even less)

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe TV ratings are higher in the US when US and Mexico are playing. That's only happened 3 times since 1996.

24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Would the US ever send the a team as an invited team in South America? Perhaps if we could guarantee that they would, we can do an experiment.