News: 2024 MLS Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Jan 8, 2024.

1. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    How hype are SKC vs SLC fans, for these games,
    if they play at Arrowhead stadium, with good planing, would they sellout the stadium a la Messi ?

2. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I've discussed this several times before. Combination of pandemic, the "break" between the Seahawks and the Sounders, and the startup of the Kraken toward the end of the pandemic (they became the "shiny new toy").

The Sounders are no longer marketed as hard as they were when the Seahawks operation was used. That said, the Sounders are still above their 2009 attendance, for the record.

Absolutely not.

Yes - and I say this with the bad taste of last night's game still fresh in my mouth. That was atrocious - reminded me of the infamous "rebate game" against LA Galaxy near the start of our MLS existence. I was curious how things would go when Chris Henderson left the Sounders for Miami and Garth Lagerway left for Atlanta. I'm not encouraged with what I'm seeing at the moment. Although still waiting to see more of Pedro de la Vega - he was great in his very limited time he's played so far.

superdave repped this.
  3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even when crowds are huge and fans are generally satisfied, the clubs have to work to maintain attendance as there is always a natural attrition of fans going away: moving away, changes of life circumstances, mortality, etc. Unless a team achieved the kind of cultural power that a few NFL teams have, attendance doesn't just stay high by itself.

4. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I'll add in Seattle's case the Apple deal has had the negative effect (how big or small I don't know) that the Sounders are no longer as visible on TV for fans who don't want to buy the season-long package. The Sounders were on main channels with pre-game / post-game shows. That's gone now.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. AhiTun4

AhiTun4 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 16, 2024
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what will happen once the Sonics return. I did see on RSL forums that they're not too afraid of the new NHL team since it's also owned by their owner.

6. AhiTun4

AhiTun4 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 16, 2024
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably, it would kind of be like El Trafico at the Rose Bowl. Honestly I'm wondering why they don't schedule El Trafico or even California Clasico at SoFi Stadium to give it a test run before 2026 but I assume that it may be that it's involved in bigger tournaments, European friendlies, and concerts.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  7. AhiTun4

AhiTun4 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 16, 2024
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the city closest for that is probably Columbus or Portland. Crew existed longer than Blue Jackets and are way more successful. Timbers have also been pretty big even with the Trail Blazers existing. Then again they're kind of the only team in town.

New York and Los Angeles always have high attendance but this could just be because of large size and this goes for all their sports.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would have to widen the pitch to meet the MLS minimum 70 yards. Plus Kroenke would probably charge a ridiculous rental fee and keep all the concessions sales.

9. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I'm not worried about it.

Seattle is very much a soccer area. I have my nightly 30 minute walk - on that walk I pass 3 soccer/football fields that are regularly in use for youth soccer teams (multiple games on multiple days each week) and get a couple months use by one youth American football team for practice. I pass 0 baseball diamonds, 2 basketball courts (used regularly for pick-up games) and 0 hockey rinks.

Keep in mind the Sounders have existed longer than the Seahawks, Mariners and Kraken. I'm in my late 50s and I grew up on the Sounders. They are a central part of our sporting landscape.

Attendance will pick up again with the Sounders in the Club World Cup and with World Cup games being played in Seattle.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoFi doesn't have grass and has a narrow pitch that needs to be modified for 2026. And it's not really the job of MLS to do World Cup test events. The international tournaments serve that purpose better.

SetPeace repped this.
  11. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado is playing much better and if you had tickets, you missed a good game.

12. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I was there
    Almost like you didn't read my post...

14. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    27,021 @ Charlotte

15. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    JasonMa repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I thought.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being at the stadium I would have guessed between about 8-9K, it looked half full. So the lower number was a bit surprising.

TV points towards the East stands which, for some reason, were more full than the West ones

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    JasonMa repped this.
  19. AhiTun4

AhiTun4 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Mar 16, 2024
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Galaxy: 23,335

Still looking for LAFC (seriously how does LA Daily News get LA Galaxy but not LAFC)

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Wow, I'm so confused by the Galaxy number. I've seen the stadium be significantly emptier and it was called a sellout. Isvthe 25.5k sellout number only with a full lalaa Hill??

21. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy number I saw showed attendance at 25,335. The only section that looked a little sparse in the stadium from what I saw was the San Jose supporter's section.

crookeddy, jaykoz3 and MLSfan66 repped this.
  22. theshark130

theshark130 Member

columbus crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2019
    Columbus
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS site has Columbus at 20,740

23. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what's up with the Match Summary section on the MLS website this year. It was screwy and herky-jerky to start the season, giving goals to teams when in fact, no goal had been scored. A goal may have been scored initially, then taken off after a VAR check, yet the erroneous goal stayed on the sheet for the longest time before being corrected. This weekend and last weekend, PK goals that were scored were never noted as such on the summary page. You could see it in the video caption of the goal that was scored, but that was the only way you would have known it was after a penalty was called. Last year, the site did a much better job in collecting/posting attendances of its matches. The website seems to have little regard for accuracy or information, and it detracts from the professionalism of the site, which, I think isn't a good look for the league itself. It seems to change as often as MLS' penchant for changing its playoff format, but not in a particularly good way. :(

24. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we are seeing some disceprancies. I got my numbers from a blog/press guy who gets the league/club media releases, and it seems like the above tweet probably gets the same.
    I'm not sure what numbers to trust, but fortunately they are not too off so the narrative is the same either way.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    This number makes a lot more sense.