Post-match: 2024 Matchday 2: Reigning, Defending, Undisputed Columbus Crew vs MinU Canadian Dollars

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ColumbusFTW, Feb 25, 2024.

?

What will the Crew result be vs South Canada?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2024.
  1. Heat wave in the North Country: Crew win by two (or more)

20.0%
  2. Ya hey der, ya done goood: Crew win by one

36.0%
  3. Canadian win (i.e draw)

30.0%
  4. That's Looney: Crew lose by one

2.0%
  5. Oh, jeepers! Ya fell through a crack in da ice! Crew lose by two (or more)

4.0%
  6. Best Served Cold: Ramirez bags the GWG (worth TWO Grouchy points!)

8.0%
  1. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Latest study shows that 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

TKyle, Robbo Crewfan and chr1st repped this.
  2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No real surprise. Too bad he’s ‘out’ and not just ‘questionable.’ But it is what it is. If he can’t play tomorrow, next Wednesday at Houston feels like a stretch, too. Time for Nancy to earn his 2024 salary. Can’t wait to see our starting XI tomorrow.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  3. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it me
    [​IMG]

I think we have enough pieces to move around to cover Mo's spot while he takes all the time he needs to get better. Given how well Zawadzki has shown, I would love to see Moreira out there.

4. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Zawadzki as a RWB tomorrow, I hope he gets the nod over Arfsten. Will we see the return of Will Sands?
    As much as I want to see JRR start back out there again, Matan needs to gain some match fitness before the CCC.
    Schulte
    ----Moreira---Camacho---Amundsen----
    Zawadzki Yeboah
    Nagbe----Morris
    Cucho---- ----Matan
    Ramirez

sub OFFS will probably be Cucho, Matan, Yeboah and mayyyybe one of Morris/Nagbe.
    ON will be Sands, Hinestroza, Rossi, and Derrick Jones.

I hope for a thrashing of the Loons.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very surprised to see Zawadzki play RWB, he’s never played there. He’s think it will be Arfsten, maybe Moreira.

soccerncbus repped this.
  6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be proven wrong and subject to being mocked with great mockery but I think there's every chance Farsi will be out for a month or more.

In case you've never seen this game before, coaches hate to give out any more info than they have to. The whole Dispatch reporter Tweet about Nancy telling her he wasn't that badly hurt and would probably play smelled like nonsense at the time.

Like I said, maybe I'm setting myself up here but I wouldn't bet on seeing Farsi before April.

TrueCrew and soccerncbus repped this.
  7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s entirely possible. Meaning he could miss 7 or more games. He’s an important player in a position with little depth, so that sucks. Still, we should have the guns to get by Houston in the CCC.

I’m really curious how close Sands is to returning. You’d think one option could be Sands wide left, and flip Yeboah to the right.

Anyway, Nancy’s had a full week to come up with a plan. I’d just like think that we have better options than just throwing Arfsten out there.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  8. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    pretty sure Zawadzki started a game or two at RWB last year, and also went over to RWB to finish the game last week, but you are probably right that Arfsten gets the start.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is literally no reason to rush Farsi back. If no one on the team works out, we can make another Amundsen type trade. As much running as he does, he needs to be 100% on that ankle.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  10. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    Im going to keep saying this because I keep being proven correct over and over-Moreira is absolutely not an option at wingback for Nancy. That is over. 1000% done and dusted. We all know he played right back before, yes. He was pretty good at it. He is a weapon and a leader at CB for Nancy, and he values him far too much at that spot to move him back outside. There were several times last season before Gressel was brought in where there was a need for a RWB, and Nancy never once threw Moreira out there. Last week there was a need and an opportunity to throw Moreira out there when Farsi got hurt. Didnt happen. Its simply not an option in Nancys eyes.

TrueCrew, Ball Kicker, TRUJDUB21 and 3 others repped this.
  11. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 chr1st, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    What if Arfsten, Yeboah, Zawadzki, Sands, Hinestroza, and Matan ALL get injured? Then what, Mr. Smarty Pants?

EDIT:
    I'll add that, perhaps, keeping Moreira in at CB was also due to our lack of depth (proven or otherwise) at that position, which has been somewhat resolved with the emergence of Zawadzki and the additions of Camacho and Cheberko (who will not be appearing in this film).

Better to weaken a flank than the spine.

TrueCrew repped this.
  12. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    When Moreira came on, Arfsten went to LWB and Sean went to RWB, so to me its clear what Nancy thinks

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot to look last week; who was the backup keeper?

14. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I... uh... completely forgot about that.

To be fair, I was knee deep in a bucket of Fireball. And he come on in the 88th.

Anywho... we'll see who's laughing when Moreira makes MLS Best XI as a RWB!

15. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bush, to @TRUJDUB21's delight.

TrueCrew repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Lord, how did he not have a stroke?

TKyle and chr1st repped this.
  17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DopeyWWII.1.jpg
    My Uncle Dave's plane.... 343rd Bomb Squadron, aka "The Snow White Squadron".

jairadballerina, CybrSlydr and chr1st repped this.
  18. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Well i also called it. Bush will be the back up until Hagen is comfortable and the Coaches believe he is ready.

19. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GAME DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #95 Ch(Elsey), Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Hey now - Our game day started at 8 am for futsal.

We are ready.

Now - Making pancakes.

… and I am looking forward to in-depth coverage from our fellow BS Crew posters who have boots on the Minnesota ground.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  21. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    #96 TRUJDUB21, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Not as much about starting so much as limiting minutes for certain players. But by playing today and Wednesday in an important game we won’t put out our best XI back to back. We won’t have an entirely different starting XI either. We have a lot of options but we know Farsi is out. So look at which players are more likely not to play the full 90.

Camacho & Nagbe are the first 2 players who come to mind. No way they play a full 90 today. I think we see both Jones & Cheberko because of it.Also don’t think Moreira or Morris will go full 90 either although both are capable.

JDUB:
    Gk Schulte
    Lwb Sands / Amundsen subs in
    LCB Cheberko
    CB Camacho / Moreira subs in move to RCB
    RCB Zawadzki
    Rwb Yeboah

Cm Jones
    Cm Morris / Nagbe Subs in at some point

Up top
    Hinestroza
    Cucho
    Ramírez

So 3 planned subs, see what happens and adjust. Matan will sub in somewhere but could be attacking , midfield or RWB.

RWb could see Yeboah flip to that side , Matan , Zawadzki, Arfsten again , Hinestroza maybe. With so many positions needing some rotation it’s really hard to say.

Up top also hard to say but Cucho is your best player , young and fit so I expect him to start.

Minnesota is missing important players midfielder Emanuel Reynoso, forward Bongokuhle Hlongwane, midfielder Robin Lod and left-side attacker Franco Fragapane are all likely out. Kevin Arriaga should play but probably won’t start.

They likely start the same back line (4)
    Rosales/ Tapias/Boxall/Taylor

midfield: (3)
    Dotson , Trapp (? Assume)Bran

up top
    Clark , Pukki , Sang-Bin

Although some of the guys we think won’t play could perhaps be healthy. It’s really hard to know. But Nancy never seems to rotate as many players. Minnesota appears to have their hand forced and a weird coaching situation.

Nancy: i got no idea what he will actually do but if everyone is healthy and fit ( not sure about Matan & Moreira fitness, but I believe Moreira is fit he just missed preseason and it was precautionary)

Nancy???
    Gk Schulte
    Lwb Yeboah
    LCB Amundsen
    CB Camacho
    RCB Moreira
    RWB Zawadzki
    CM Morris
    CM Nagbe
    Rossi
    Cucho
    Ramírez

he may just sub some guys out at half or in 2nd half rather than rotating a bunch of starters. Can’t wait to see the line up

TrueCrew repped this.
  22. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    So no pregame on apple tv at 1 or 130?

Injuries to Loons plus we played better on road to end season has me change my answer from draw to win by 1. I think we win 2-1 today but could change my mind depending the line ups.

23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I could tell, there wasn't a pre-game show last week, either. The pre-game didn't come on until the main block of 7:30 matches was ready to happen.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He literally played there LAST WEEK after Moreira came on for Yeboah. Moreira was RCB and Zawadzki RWB. Arfsten moved to LWB. I mean, it was late, but still. He also started the ATL PO match away at LWB.

When Moreira came on, I thought he would play RWB, but he didn't. He was RCB. Zawadzki RWB. Arfsten moved left.

Like, how drunk are you when you watch the games? Do you watch the games? Lordy.

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The play came right at us at the stadium. We were second level up, directly behind goal. Great view. His ankle bent dramatically in what appeared to be the wrong direction. It was nasty. My buddly thought he could have broken it. The only reason I disagreed was that he was moving it around a bit, and, having severely broken mine (tib + fib), you don't do that. Also, there was not nearly enough screaming.

I doubt he is back anytime soon.

Bill Archer and TRUJDUB21 repped this.