Post-match: 2024 Matchday 2: Reigning, Defending, Undisputed Columbus Crew vs MinU Canadian Dollars

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ColumbusFTW, Feb 25, 2024.

?

What will the Crew result be vs South Canada?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2024.
  1. Heat wave in the North Country: Crew win by two (or more)

20.0%
  2. Ya hey der, ya done goood: Crew win by one

36.0%
  3. Canadian win (i.e draw)

30.0%
  4. That's Looney: Crew lose by one

2.0%
  5. Oh, jeepers! Ya fell through a crack in da ice! Crew lose by two (or more)

4.0%
  6. Best Served Cold: Ramirez bags the GWG (worth TWO Grouchy points!)

8.0%
  1. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    We did head the ball better than on past occasions. The closing out of games is still an issue, but it manifested itself differently here with us being unable to control the game and kick the ball.

The kid shot the ball right where he needed to instead of crossing it like you'd expect.

And Sean scored that goal against the revs last year like 3 minutes after the alloted stoppage time?

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's young. Give him time.

Tobias C, TKyle, Pauncho and 4 others repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked much better when Ramirez was on the field.

The thing is, I can't decide if that means he should be starting, or if it just confirms that there's more value in letting him come off the bench and changing matches that way.

Arthur_Maggot, Minnman and the_rickler repped this.
  4. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    It wasn't Ramirez amplifying the Crew's play, Minnesota just stopped pressing as highly as they had been. Part of it was needing to account for a CF, part of it was tired legs and preserving energy for the final 20 minutes. The Crew were still sloppy, they just weren't having space in the midfield compressed on them like they did in the first half.

Paul171121 repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought both offenses were sloppy. Both teams had plenty of dangerous-looking possessions, but they were killed off by a lack of ideas or just bad execution. I did think there was a lot of good defending happening by both teams as well.

6. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We would've won if Moreira was at RWB.

the_rickler repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I liked Minny's jerseys.

TKyle, Kyle Crew and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  8. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Cuch with the good messaging

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Tobias C, Robbo Crewfan and TKyle repped this.
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That late goal's a dick punch, but we got a point on the road, and we have four points from two games.

Cucho should have had a hat trick today.

Schulte: I like his overall game and he's still young and learning. We forget that because he won the Cup last season. But he came up big a couple times today. Yeah, he got caught off his line on the equalizer, but I think he was in no-man's land there because nobody else was even close to making a play. I don't blame him for attempting that play.

Minnman repped this.
  11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only watched the highlights after having the score spoiled (I went and saw Dune 2, was amazing, more in the what are you watching? thread in NSR section). Interesting that Marino didn’t play again. Arfsten playing didn’t surprise me, Nancy trusts in the youth. Looks like we controlled things and just got unlucky at the end.

Considering Minnesota has a good record against us recently, I’ll take a draw on the road.

12. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    These were some of the nicest fans I have encountered at an away match. After it ended, one gentleman walked down to my seat, congratulated me on the Crew’s championship, and then we chatted about the game, my trip there, where he is from, etc. I also liked his ‘Minnesota accent’. Others, were very polite.

In addition, I really did like the stadium. Being smaller, it has a more intimate feel as say, compared to FCC or Nashville (though, both of those stadiums are also very nice).

One negative, the supporters group being under the only videoboard, so when they did the tifo, it was blocking the videoboard during the opening introductions of MNUFC.

Tobias C, TRUJDUB21, TKyle and 2 others repped this.
  13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s hard not to vent after we (again) coughed up two points late in a match. That said, getting a point on the road is a fair result from the match. We’re a good team, but we’re not in mid season form yet, which isn’t exactly a surprise.

I’ll limit my critical comments to:

- the lack of subs (again) or rotation going into an extremely congested part of the schedule. I just don’t get it.
    - just the sense that we’re watching the 2023 team, which was fun in 2023, but I don’t think an as-is approach to the roster will be enough in a very tough East in 2024, where numerous teams have reloaded. The lack of a Hinestroza sighting on the pitch is a bit odd, but I understand that it takes time to grasp the system.
    - to steal one of Nancy’s terms, you could describe this performance in various ways, but the word ‘brave’ doesn’t apply, from what I saw. We appeared more defensive and cautious than brave, at least to me.
    - Farsi’s absence was evident. He’s so involved in the match, gets so many touches (many of them defensive). Arfsten was invisible for stretches of the match, and I don’t have much confidence that that’ll change in the near term.
    - finally, I’ll beat this drum all season until something’s done about it, but you can’t expect to compete for a full season with a 23 man roster. Or maybe it’s 24 now. I see Crew 2 (from last season) player Cole Mrowka is now listed on the team’s roster. Not that that changes the equation much. The club should have both roster and salary budget space to sign at least one starter-quality player. Maybe they have someone in mind who’ll be joining the club during the summer window. Who knows. Not that it matters much when you only make 2-3 subs in a match.

Anyway, sucks to drop those two points. Minnesota played well against us, without having a great roster (hell, they subbed in short term MLSNP player at one point). I’m sure other teams will notice.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  14. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lied. One more criticism:

- at list point, I have zero faith that we’ll score a goal off of a corner kick all season. I mean, logically, I assume we will. But, man, we just appear somewhere between toothless and clueless on corners thus far in ‘24.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #265 Bill Archer, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    They looked to me like a team that has spent too much time reading their own media. The finely tuned watch, the rapier in Wilfried Nancy's hand that slices and dices opponents with cold fury, audacity and aggression looked like they came there expecting the game to be awarded them in recognition of their awesomeness.

This is a team that used to go entire games with barely a half dozen backpasses. Backpass was a dirty word. They only go forward.Opponent turns over the ball and suddenly it's a five alarm fire, everyone racing to the box like banshees on meth.

Yesterday it looked for long periods like the only idea anyone could come up with was a featival.of backpassing, eventually ending up at Schultes feet where he'd stand there with it for 30 or 40 seconds trying to recall what his job is until an opponent appeared in his face.

Passes were lazy, obvious and telegraphed. The midfield couldn't keep posession. Everybody else stood around and watched. Off ball movement was non existent.

Sure they had their moments, and square and back passes make for terrific posession numbers, but that was a middling opponent missing key players that should have been easy pickings even on the road. No matter. What does matter is that they looked clueless and disinterested.

The Crew looked like it was 2022 all over again. All that was missing was Caleb Porter stalking the touchline looking like he just took a dump in his pants.

I'm not that upset about coughing up 2 points that were in the bag. Shit happens. I'm more puzzled that the entire team, collectively, forgot how to play.

Nancy better figure it out.

16. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Once the ball is in the back part of the field, players in this system are supposed to hold onto the ball until the press closes, so as to play against 10 men instead of 11. Schulte did that and drove a ground ball up the field to spark the goal.

chr1st repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And when you continue to hold the ball, eventually the opponent takes it from you or forces you to make a desperation pass that gets picked off.

18. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Check that it was Camacho who drove that ground ball down the field to start the attack

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To this last point, in 2023, Nancy had all season to "tell a story" about how he wanted us to play. To come in and spend a few months assesing the existing roster before making serious decisions about what type of new player to bring in. The team, by season's end, played with energy, persistence, confidence, but it didn't start there.

Thing is, in 2024, Nancy can't approach things from that same patient approach. That energy, confidence and commitment needs to be on display next week and the week after, or we'll be on the outside looking in for the CCC.

TRUJDUB21 and Bill Archer repped this.
  20. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    Pretty good lists from Minnman and Bill Archer. My nit for years has been how the Crew softens around the 80' and plays not to lose which causes them to drop points. They're already -2 in that department and could easily be -4 with how they struggled to finish off Atlanta.

Beyond that, the problem is pretty basic. The Crew aren't scoring goals. They were the highest-scoring team last year, they're tied for 10th so far this year in GF/90. Put simply, this team needs to score 2 goals for Nancy's system to work.

Last year, the Crew played a total of 46 competitive matches (MLS, USOC, Leagues Cup and playoffs). Here are the splits:

0-1 goals scored: 1 win, 7 losses, 7 draws
    2+ goals scored: 24 wins, 4 losses, 3 draws

The four losses when scoring multiple goals: at Cincinnati, at Orlando, at Portland, and the playoff game at Atlanta. All tough environments to play in, and three of them were playoff teams.

The one win when scoring 1 goal: Indy Eleven in the USOC.

Part of that is that Cucho should be sitting on 4-5 goals with better finishing, but the bigger issue is the Crew are not getting the complementary scoring from the rest of the team.

Last year Cucho did not score until the 10th MLS game. To that point, the Crew had scored 15 goals. 4 from Lucas, 10 from other players, and an own goal. This year, not only is the rest of the team scoreless but they aren't trying to create their own chances. Everytime they get to the 18, they're looking to drop it to Cucho instead of taking a shot and possibly getting a rebound to fall in the box (you know, like how they scored the goal on Crewsmas).

Nancy needs to get the rest of the team to play more selfishly on the attack. The goals aren't going to come if the Crew reverts to the Porterball method of being reliant on one player for goals.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jeff Cunningham conundrum.

22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s week 2 y’all.

rolandD, CybrSlydr, KCbus and 3 others repped this.
  23. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    But the squad rotation philosophy is going to have to change. We hit congestion Wednesday and if we start the best XI then we have a home game vrs Chicago before the second leg. At some point you got to rest a few guys. Chicago will be fresh and we can’t drop points to the Fire at home nor can we lose the CCL legs vrs Houston. So with Minnesota missing people it’s hard to understand the logic.

We went all in for a win and got a draw so it’s disappointing on top of losing that late which is always a hard truth to swallow.

Minnman repped this.
  24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I get that. Completely. No wrist slitting here at Chez Archer.

I was just surprised, even shocked, at how far they strayed from the plan they all -players included - assured us was the model.

It's OK to stink the place up sometimes and this surely isn't the last time the team will be out there stumbling over their own dicks.

What bothered me is that they seemed to have lost the script.

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh… we’re not going 34-0, these things happen. When this happens for two months straight I’ll start asking questions. Nancy has a decent amount of credit in the bank right now, for me at least.

KCbus repped this.