Post-match: 2024 Matchday 2: Reigning, Defending, Undisputed Columbus Crew vs MinU Canadian Dollars

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ColumbusFTW, Feb 25, 2024.

?

What will the Crew result be vs South Canada?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2024.
  1. Heat wave in the North Country: Crew win by two (or more)

20.0%
  2. Ya hey der, ya done goood: Crew win by one

36.0%
  3. Canadian win (i.e draw)

30.0%
  4. That's Looney: Crew lose by one

2.0%
  5. Oh, jeepers! Ya fell through a crack in da ice! Crew lose by two (or more)

4.0%
  6. Best Served Cold: Ramirez bags the GWG (worth TWO Grouchy points!)

8.0%
  1. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    Columbus (1-0-0) at Minnesota (1-0-0)
    Allianz Field, St Paul, MN
    2pm EST | Apple+ TV | Alt 105.7 FM (iHeart)
    Odds: Crew +146 | Minnesota +153 | Draw +265

It's a battle of first place teams (based on PPG, Miami can EAD) in Minneapolis' second downtown!

The Loons come in riding high as the only team to secure a win on the road in this young season, courtesy of Horse Thief FC. The postgame celly undoubtedly included champagne flutes of mediocre queso.

America's Champions enter the octagon after another successful Crewsmas, looking to win their first road game of the season for the first time since 2019. Coincidentally, that season also marked Columbus' last visit to the Land-O-Lakes, a 1-0 loss courtesy of former Columbus Crew legend/current scrub Ethan Finlay.

Intrigue awaits with the Nagbe-led Crew facing its former captain Wil Trapp and MLS Cup champion CR17 making his triumphant return to the Twin Cities. The looming presence of Columbus' mortal enemy Schedule Congestion strikes terror in the heart of at least one BigSoccer poster.

Add in the sexiest kits in the league, the addition of Not Adrian Heath as manager, and a supporters section named after a mid-90s Oasis ballad, and the odds look stacked against our Crew. Can they overcome? Maybe! (read: no) Will noted BigSoccer luminary and understated genius ColumbusFTW make a cameo on your Apple stream looking thoroughly unimpressed/mildly intoxicated? Undoubtedly.

Matchday Track:

Show Spoiler

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go win by one. I'm not terribly impressed by Minnesota, and I'm expecting the Crew to improve on their road record this season; might as well start now.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the possibility of weather affecting the game, I'm hesitant to call for a win.

4. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnesota is sneaky good and is our bogey team, they always play us hard. I’d be happy with a draw on the road.

Tobias C and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  5. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    #5 Captain Invader, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    I thought it was going to be freezing for this match, but the latest forecast has it in the 50’s at gametime on Saturday.

Which is good, because I already have my ticket. Though, last year I was 0-3-1 (W-L-D) on regular season road matches that I attended. (But 1-0 in the playoffs! at FCC).

Ch(Elsey) and zman31 repped this.
  6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might they have their now head coach on the sidelines by next weekend? I hate playing teams in that situation.

Note that Minnesota just has weekend matches coming up, while we'll be playing away to HOU/STL somewhere next week Wednesday, and then again at home the following Tuesday. So, games on March 2, 6, 9, 12 and 16. Yikes. Farsi's status being up in the air really complicates matters for us during this stretch. Unless he miraculously healed overnight, I assume he's not likely to play in Minnesota this weekend. I'd gladly give him next Saturday off if he's able to play on March 6.

In any event, to say the least, Nancy's roster rotation strategy will be very interesting to watch over these next few weeks. Can't wait to get an update on Farsi, though.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  7. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dude, this is a “must win game”. Get outta here with that “draw” bs.

stanger, Paul171121, Kyle Crew and 3 others repped this.
  8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this poll a sanctioned Grouchy poll? Multiple votes allowed??

Love the thread, @ColumbusFTW. Please share matchday photos.

chr1st and Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  9. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    I do not know how to do a separate poll for the bonus Grouchy. Nor how to schedule the poll to close shortly before the game. If the mods can fix it, that would be great. Otherwise, I blame chr1st for terrible succession planning.

10. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 TKyle, Feb 26, 2024
    You have to make the Grouchy bonus a separate option worth two (or more) points and people can only vote for one option. (Hence, people have to be pretty confident in the Grouchy option because they're missing out on one of the other 5 options altogether.)

I just tried, and apparently it won't let you reduce the number of options from 2 to 1 once the poll is open. So, two possibilities: a) allow people to place two votes, or 2) delete the poll and start over with a new poll.

I did put a time limit on the current poll if you want to keep it; I usually use the "hours" option instead of "days" so you can get it to expire closer to kickoff.

Edit: terrible succession planning LOL! That's happened to me in the Fantasy League thread!!

11. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Dangit, I was hoping no one would bring it up.

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha! I felt I had failed an obligation for not bringing up the timing issue for the Crewsmas poll. This week, I felt I needed to point out the issue.

Sorry.

13. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Houston is also one of those boogeyman teams for us.

TKyle repped this.
  14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m in preseason form, forgive me.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  15. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    I do not see an option to edit or to change/delete the poll. Fire LaMacchia.

(If you can wave your magic mod wand to delete, I'll post a new poll.)

chr1st and GoCrew1996 repped this.
  16. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done. Poll is gone.

If you're having problems posting a new one, let me know (it may be later this eve until I get to it).

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OSU basketball won on Sunday at MSU. It was their first true road win in over a year.

When the Crew wins at another "M" team, is that a trend?

18. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was thinking we could have gone with this logic: if a poster votes for something that is wrong, they get zero points. But, if they get the score and the prop they get three. So people could choose to vote for just one thing to be conservative or two votes to be super risky. Fun, right?

19. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    win by 1 on the road

20. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I see a draw but I’m hoping for more.We ended up 12th (4way tie) of 29 teams on the road last year and then won 2/3 on the road in the playoffs. So basically we were average on the road. But we definitely were bad to start and then we just keep getting better. We can build on that and we better if we want to be in the SS race. Only 4 clubs had a winning record on the road. That’s something I would like to see us accomplish. We need to win at least 7 road games this season

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonus option:

One player on either team has a Gordie Howe Soccer Hat Trick (goal, assist, direct red card) (worth 2 points.) Four points if BOTH teams have a GHSHT.

...or is the bar too high?

22. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go draw.

23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old poll was deleted.

New poll is up. Go vote!

Bonus Grouchy is per @ColumbusFTW's original prop.

Ch(Elsey), ColumbusFTW and Kryptonite repped this.
  24. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 TKyle, Feb 26, 2024
    That's a cool idea. Only thing is--people would have to vote for the outcome alone, or the outcome and the prop, right? So would there people who vote for two outcomes instead of the outcome and the prop? If someone picks win by two and win by one, they're increasing their odds of being right from 20% to 40%. I don't think the poll can be set up for the former and not the latter. We could try it out next week? It might be more work for @chr1st to do the tallies.

25. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda. The prop I put in was the one ColumbusFTW wanted.

Never heard of a Gordie Howe Hat Trick. [Checks Wikipedia] A goal, an assist, and a fight. So, maybe a player gets a goal, an assist, and a yellow card? Howe played most of his career with the Red Wings, so--maybe a prop bet when we play Toronto??

Kryptonite repped this.