PBP: 2024 Copa America Opponent's Watch.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 5, 2024.

1. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    the only people not up to speed on how far brazil is off pace from their vintage seems to be...us fans.

Ghost repped this.
  2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

largegarlic, Ghost, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d wait to see how they look against Columbia (who won’t bunker) before writing their obituary.

Yowza and theboogeyman repped this.
  4. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    if brazil can't break down a bunker, they are no longer brazil.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

largegarlic, DGreat and madvillain repped this.
  6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breaking down a bunker is hard no matter who you are. Even Man City struggles with it from time to time.

Whereas if you end up in a game with Columbia where you can get Vinicius Jr and friends out on the counter attack it’s a whole different game. Part of the reason Brazil looked so much better against England and Spain is neither team tried to sit back and bunker. And I’m assuming Colombia similarly won’t just sit back.

TrueCrew and theboogeyman repped this.
  7. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Eh, we'll see. as your own stats noted, regardless of any tactical losses tonight, the strategic losses are real. that's a bad draw and puts them behind the 8 ball for a pre tourney favorite.

if we had gotten it I'd be livid.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The result itself doesn’t help but they were unlucky not to win. The underlying performance was fine.

We’ve definitely had our own share on annoying performances against CONCACAF teams.

Pegasus, theboogeyman and nycfc919 repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Brasil have been bad for some time, now. Bunkers of weak teams are readily broken down by the strongest teams. Again, Brasil haven't been good for some time.

majspike and madvillain repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Indeed, the underlying numbers have not been strong from this team.

madvillain repped this.
  11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    They play the third game… it might not be a meaningful game depending on results in game 2 … not crazy to think Colombia is on 6 points after match day 2 and Brazil is only on 2

madvillain repped this.
  12. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    brazil is supposed to a top 5 footballing nation if not top and we are the US FFS.

I mean, I dunno what else to say. It was not a good brazil performance either on paper or in form.

Ghost repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Called it, lol.

14. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely hated him when he coached Boca but that was classic Alfaro there for Costa Rica.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I thought Costa Rica did a great job of limiting Brazil’s looks, few clear chances, just some long shots and difficult attempts (first time or off the cut). Unfortunately without better work on the few breaks or turnovers they got they won’t be a threat to win.

This Brazil team is not built to excel as a ball dominant favorite. They don’t have a dominant 9, they have no 10, their CMs are largely functional, their FBs are not attacking difference makers, and Vini is more suited for playing off others or in space.

majspike, deejay, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #641 Clint Eastwood, Jun 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Costa Rica has turned the page to a relatively young squad as opposed to the nursing home squad they had thru 2022. This gives them real confidence. A good result for CONCACAF. It would be awesome if we could get a 3rd CONCACAF team into the quarterfinal. If they can take care of business against Paraguay, they have a shot. Or fourth, but for some reason I don't have faith in Canada right now. I need to see it to believe it. Canada is the king of moral victories since WC22. Not actual victories.

The whole bunker thing is meant as an insult. But teams do it, because it works on ocassion. A little CONCACAFery goes a long way.

Brazil isn't vintage Brazil, but they're still Brazil. They lost WCQers to Uruguay, Colombia, and Argentina in a row late last year. But they've still got enough talent to do damage. If people put money on Brazil to win this event, then they haven't really been paying attention. Put money on Brazil to make the semi? Yes. I mean, they didn't lose this game.

As far as the USMNT goes, this does impact us a little bit. This has total shades of 2016, when we talked ad naseum about our matchup for the quarterfinal. Then results in the other group weren't what we thought they'd be at all.

All we need to do is go out, win our next match, and then take stock of things.

We're not going to be able to set up our quarterfinal opponent, because we play before them in the last game. The other group has that luxury.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The ideal is drawing Uruguay, topping the group, and meeting Paraguay in QFs.

Mantis Toboggan M.D. repped this.
  18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some time is six qualifiers where they were playing with a part time coach with another job.

They were dominant in qualifying last cycle and went out in penalties in the World Cup in a game where they were dominant and very much outplayed Croatia.

TrueCrew and theboogeyman repped this.
  19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And these games happen sometimes even for the top nations.

It’s not like Brazil was outplayed. They completely dominated and had their chances.

nbarbour, porkrind and theboogeyman repped this.
  20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 9 is going to be Endrick he’s just young.

On their center mids both Paqueta and Guimaraes are very good players. Paqueta was about to go to Man City before this gambling issues and Guimaraes may end up either there or at Arsenal this summer (and was the best player on a Newcastle team that finished in the top 4).

I do think they might be better off playing Savinho over Raphina.

And it’s still pretty clearly the most talented roster this side of the bracket.

nbarbour repped this.
  21. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    How easy it is to forget that Barca with Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta at the height of their dominance lost to and struggled with breaking down a bunkering Chelsea team coached by Roberto Di Matteo.

That being said, I also will agree with others that this Brazil squad isn't what that nation is used to. Very very good players across the board that would bench some of our top players, but not the normal Brazilian standard.

Also, I do think there is something in that Brazil thought they had Carlo Ancelotti locked up and I do wonder if pivoting from Carlo to Dorival Junior was the best decision

theboogeyman and gomichigan24 repped this.
  22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edited above, since we are talking about ideal here . . .

23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Columbia is a college gringo :)

majspike, DGreat, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of COURSE it feels straw mannish, when 95% of the boards turn out to be wrong. Of COURSE. Post after post after post warned of the dangers of finishing 2nd and having to play Brazil. I can't offhand think of one that said we need to finish first to avoid Colombia. Colombia was treated as a complete afterthought, if that. It was sky-is-falling as we must beat Uruguay to avoid Brazil, when the draw was released. When I mentioned that Colombia and Uruguay are playing better than Brazil, back then, it was wholly ignored. In fact, when the US tied Brazil just before the tournament started, there were a plethora of post-game posts declaring how we had turned it around from the disastrous Colombia game, showing a great performance versus Brazil. When I said that Brazil aint that good so we were overreacting, I was chastised for THAT belief as well. But now, when the evidence is becoming overwhelming that Brazil is not special right now, everyone is going to start saying they knew it all along because the signs were there. Again, of COURSE they will. So, no, all of you were not scared of "either Colombia or Brazil." That is revisionism at its finest. It was panic attack time over Brazil, despite "all of us notic(ing)" that Brazil had dropped tons of points. That's what made the bedwetting over Brazil so ridiculous to begin with. Hell, if your position were true, about being scared of either Colombia or Brazil, why was there an obsession about needing to beat Uruguay to finish first, as we would "likely" get one or the other of those opponents either way? Yeah, exactly.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know if Dorival Junior is the best choice but I do think it’s notable that’s who Brazil was able to get when people are thinking about potential Berhalter replacements. Brazil also never exported coaches the way Argentina does (and 7 of the 16 coaches in Copa America are Argentine).

One thing Brazil is missing is a creative central attacking player along the lines of a Kaka or Ronaldinho. I think Endrick is the 9 by the time they get to the World Cup and is very good, but that to me is the big missing piece compared to past Brazil teams.

Burr repped this.