PBP: 2024 Copa America Opponent's Watch.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 5, 2024.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am looking at the match right now and the stands appear quite full. Even the fourth or fifth level seems pretty full. I will accept an apology if one is offered.
    Oh, I was right and YOU were wrong.

3. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    #253 nycfc919, Jun 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    way better crowd than I thought they’d get. I’m eating crow! Looks like 55-60K out of max capacity 80K

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at the diaspora numbers Chile has one of the lower populations in the US. I think only Uruguay, Costa Rica, Bolivia, and Paraguay are smaller. Though Peru has one of the larger ones.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a sellout but looks like a decent crowd

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, they drew a good crowd. It is too bad that what thse thousands ae seeing is NOT soccer. In this case i am not sure what it is. So far in 17 minutes there has been exactly one decent looking play and that ended by a Chilean placing his "shot" over the top from 3-4 yards directly in front of the goal. I guess it shows great skill to miss that badly from that close. ;)

If we (USA) were playing either of theses two we would win easily and we might even get lucky and have every USA player survive. But I think we face a much tougher test that either one of these two jokes of a soccer team. I guess these are really two decent teams in CONOBOL but CONOBOL does not have much after Brazil, Argentina and Colombia. But the same could be said for CONCACAF because after The USA, Canada and Mexico we have very little.

7. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This Chile Side beat 2016 Euro Champion Portugal in the Confederation Cup in 2017 and eliminated Defending Champions Spain in 2014 World Cup. This Peru side was in the 2019 Copa America Final. Both are just old sides now.

Colombia, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina are the strong sides in this Conmebol era. Usually it's 6/10 nations that can threathen a European side, but the region is going through rebuilds. That includes Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Federation is 4 very strong teams and a lot of question marks. Canada would be their 5th best team.

9. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Peru players asking for a penalty.

They might need visit an optometrist, maybe they'll score better after getting glasses.

10. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Chile / Peru game is very CONCACAFY. Might as well be watching Costa Rica / Honduras. Maybe the US would fit in with CONMEBOL after all :D

aerez repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While history can be interesting what happened 7 years ago is nearly meaningless today. Also if teams like the two we see tonight qualify for a major tournament then the tournament can't be very "major." These two teams are roughly equivalent to say Haiti and they would fair even more poorly in CONCACAF. I looks like there is a disparity between CONCACACF and CONOBOL where the very top of CONOBOL is several steps better than the very top of CONCACAF the lower end of CONOBOL is also a good deal worse than the CONCACAF's lower end.

I was in Chile a LONG time ago and I noticed that the fields there were, mostly, great. Even the lowest teams had decent pitches to train and play on and that was way back in the '80s or a little before. That cannot be said for CONCACAF. :(

12. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #262 aerez, Jun 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    Peru is last place in qualification. 0 wins. They are bad.

This Chile team also played France at the Velodrome in March and lost to France 3-2. With the same old players.
    https://tinyurl.com/mrxc6una

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is totally non soccer related but does anyone else think that both coaches tonight are miscast as soccer coaches. They look more like mad scientists in a B science fiction movie? :D

14. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Is this where I get to say “well…it was a friendly and they obviously weren’t taking it seriously”? Cause as a US soccer fan….ive been on the receiving end of that shit any time we posted a decent friendly result for….i don’t know…the last four decades. I’m not quite familiar with the inverse rules.

15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Btw - Canada will be alone in second after match day 2.

16. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nah you can say that. That just proves chile has some fight.
    After todays game, they both are suck. I thought watching Inter Miami games was bad. This game was terrible.

If canada doesn't beat Peru, that will be embarrassing for them. And I'm sure as a US fan you will meme them to death lol

17. DrScorpio

DrScorpio Member

San Lorenzo
    Argentina
    Jan 6, 2022
    Conmebol is always like this, Argentina, Brasil and Uruguay with good teams, and then is a rotation of who's gonna get the 4th and 5fh, now Colombia and Ecuador have those spots. A few years ago it was Colombia and Peru, before that Chile and Colombia, before that Paraguay and Chile, and so. Well, before that actually was worse, because Uruguay had a really dark ages between 1990 and 2009. But yeah usually is the world champs plus a few more

And no, worst of Conmebol is still a milles better than the worst of Concacaf, worst of Conmebol is the average of Concacaf, except Bolivia they're incredibly bad.

Christina99 and theboogeyman repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pitches are ruining this tournament. You see no bounce, it's like playing on a billiards table.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Let's hope it's not like the artificial clouds in Qatar.

20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both these teams are a bit down from their recent iterations and the next generation hasn’t really come through yet. Definitely not the class of CONMEBOL.

21. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    If 45,000 people are going to show up to Chile v Peru .... this is going to be a huge success.

TrueCrew and nycfc919 repped this.
  22. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Nope, Canada is worse than Ecuador as well. An entire level above in defending and not much worse finishing than Canada's.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field is once again a problem. Jorge Fossati pointed to the conditions of the terrain as a possible cause of the discomfort in Luis Advíncula's Achilles tendon. Second day of the Cup and Atlanta history repeats itself.

TrueCrew repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #274 Clint Eastwood, Jun 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    Its not like its a surprise that Peru and Chile are down.

And yes, they're both still favored ahead of Canada as of yesterday. Cuz Canada hasn't actually beaten anyone in a while. Canada is theoretically good on these boards over the last two years; not in the actual real world. Maybe they can pull themselves together in time. They're definitely winnable games. 2024 Copa America Odds | Copa America Soccer Futures Odds (vegasinsider.com)

Mexico has better odds right now over Colombia and the USMNT because their path to deep in the tournament is easier. These are odds from yesterday. Although those three have similar odds. Not too much difference there.

Odds to Win 2024 Copa America
    • Argentina +175
    • Brazil +225
    • Uruguay +500
    • Mexico +1100
    • Colombia +1200
    • USA +1200
    • Ecuador +1600
    • Chile +2800
    • Peru +5000
    • Canada +6600
    • Paraguay +6600
    • Venezuela +6600
    • Costa Rica +8000
    • Jamaica +15000
    • Panama +15000
    • Bolivia +15000

25. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    #275 nycfc919, Jun 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    It’s close that’s a fair shout. Is their back line Hincapie (Leverkeusen), Torres (Corinthians), Pacho (Pachuca), Preciado (Sparta Prague)?

That doesn’t seem like an entire level above to me necessarily. Caicedo protecting them is obviously something that helps a lot defensively so recognizing that too.