Rumor: 2024 Copa América hosted by the USA

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Dec 7, 2022.

?

Hell yes?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2022.
  1. F yeah

32 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. Let's do this

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Hold this every four years please

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. nooo I love the Gold Cup

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    What would decide the teams from those confederations in it? Just guests? Winner and Runner Up of major regional tournament finals? So random and odd but definitely better than a typical off year Gold Cup. When its held would be hugely important.

2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was also just not feasible to host in Qatar in the summer. And they obviously weren’t going to host it in the winter.

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly it looks like we are trying to schedule fall friendlies against Argentina and Brazil

I wonder how that'll work with the rumored friendly against Germany and at least two of the three windows this fall being taken up by Nations League.

If it all works out our lead up to the Copa America would be March Nations League games, Nations League Finals, Gold Cup, friendlies against 2 of Germany, Argentina, and Brazil, Nations League group games that double as Copa America qualifiers, Nations League finals, and the Copa America itself.

Winoman, gogorath and xbhaskarx repped this.
  4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

xbhaskarx and Winoman repped this.
  5. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    is this a type of acceptable bribery? No hard cash was exchanged but Copa America in the US = a lot of cash for C'bol...

I still hope this signal that C'bol alliance with UEFA is still on the works and this joint Copa was about securing votes for 2030.

I have no problem having 6 C'caf team joining Copa America on a permanent basis (if Copa most of the times in SA) and I would love if C'caf club teams would participate in Libertadores. But IMHO participating in UEFA's NL is the future.

6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the sort of thing that is deemed acceptable as opposed to being considered outright bribery.

The same way Saudi Arabia is offering to front all the costs for Greece and Egypt as part of their World Cup bid.

I think having a closer relationship with COMNEBOL is more likely than Europe letting us into Nations League or CONCACAF letting us go to it.

Hexa repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I figured we were already in the bag for 2030 in exchange for them voting for us in 2026.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if they want to throw the Copa in too in order to make sure that’s ok too.

xbhaskarx and gogorath repped this.
  9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    You knew they were going to make as easy as possible on us and Mexico, but I also like that we open up the possibility of stronger friendlies.

So, no more Grenadas. The worst we will get is a Top 8 team, and then likely 2 Top 4 teams.

US Soccer doing pretty well here even without any soccer leadership.

Winoman, xbhaskarx and gomichigan24 repped this.
  11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina is doing friendlies against Curacao and Panama this coming window so in theory we should be able to get them sometime this fall. I think like us it's hard for them to get quality friendlies against non-CONMEBOL countries. We should also get a friendly against Germany this fall as well as they'll have some open dates given they qualify automatically as Euro hosts.

Winoman repped this.
  12. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Very nice. It would take Couva level ineptitude to fail to qualify for Copa America. So, El Tri certainly has to be worried lol, and w/us, hopefully we can get some games under us w/the new coach before all of this opens up?

But yeah, you couldn't ask for an easier format. No excuses for failing to qualify especially in what is likely going to be a down cycle for much of non-Canada, and USA. El Tri and Costa Rica rebuilding, Honduras and Panama continuing their reboot, Jamaica a mess as per usual, El Salvador probably had their high water mark in 2021-2022. No excuse for failing to qualify for this thing.

gogorath repped this.
  13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    #313 gogorath, Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    Against non-CR, Mexico, Canada teams out there, we've won every two sided tie except twice against Honduras in WCQ going back in the Ocho and Hex.

There's probably a nightmare scenario where we have to go to CR and Honduras or something, but it would take a lot for this team to lose. We usually do well enough at home that the away leg can be a bog downed mess and not matter.

Costa Rica is probably the scary one, if they drop out of the Top 4.

EDIT: Noted that the Second Chance is a single game at a "neutral site." I wonder if that means the US, or an actual neutral site.

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Weird quirks: the top four are decided by the March CONCACAF rankings, which I assume come out in a few days as January's is dating Jan 1. But if it goes through March, it is conceivable that Canada could drop below ... Panama? Really?

The other part of Nations League A is two six team groups doing a Swiss format system, which I had never heard of. Here's wikipedia:

A Swiss-system tournament is a non-eliminating tournament format that features a fixed number of rounds of competition, but considerably fewer than for a round-robin tournament; thus each competitor (team or individual) does not play all the other competitors. Competitors meet one-on-one in each round and are paired using a set of rules designed to ensure that each competitor plays opponents with a similar running score, but does not play the same opponent more than once. The winner is the competitor with the highest aggregate points earned in all rounds. With an even number of participants, all competitors play in each round....

...During all but the first round, competitors are paired based on approximately how they have performed so far. In the first round, competitors are paired either randomly or according to some pattern that has been found to serve a given game or sport well. If it is desired for top-ranked participants to meet in the last rounds, the pattern must start them in different brackets, just the same as is done in seeding of pre-ranked players for a single elimination tournament. In subsequent rounds, competitors are sorted according to their cumulative scores and are assigned opponents with the same or similar score up to that point. The pairing rules have to be quite complicated, as they have to ensure that no two players ever oppose each other twice, and to avoid giving a player some advantage as a result of chance.

------

So, they basically treat it more like a dynamically seeded tournament where they don't play the 10 games to go back and forth. That seems really unfair based on home and away, frankly, especially in CONCACAF.

The chances of the top teams getting out of there might be lower than one thinks.

-------

WCQ qualification is "one time" --

In Round 2, those 30 will be seeded into six groups of five. Each five-team group will be a single-round-robin. After four games, the top two in each group will advance to a 12-team final round.

In Round 3, those 12 teams will be drawn into three groups of four. These will be double-round-robins, with each group winner qualifying for the World Cup. The two best runners-up — based on points and, if necessary, tiebreakers — will earn berths in intercontinental playoffs. (CONCACAF will have a minimum of six teams in the tournament, and a maximum of eight.)

A duodeca would have been more fun. Wonder how they will seed the final groups.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d be way less worried about Costa Rica if we’d ever gotten a result there. Navas is still going to be around, but they’re generally between generations at current and I don’t know if they are going to be at the same level they’ve been.

gogorath repped this.
  16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably it will be new rankings after the March window, as nothing has happened so far this year except out-of-window friendlies. Canada has a 63 point lead over Panama, and Panama has only one NL game, at Costa Rica. Canada lost 40 points for going 0-fer in the World Cup--I'm not going to dig into the ranking formula, but it probably won't lose a 63-point advantage in a single Nations League window.

gomichigan24 and gogorath repped this.
  17. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    The Athletic used the term "centralized location."

The format looks mostly forgiving, (with a couple of issues) but I still think it's stupid that the US has to qualify in a tournament it hosts.

And while friendlies probably are much more profitable for US soccer, as a fan I don't care that much for them. The lack of stakes in those games turns them into practices/auditions.

gogorath repped this.