2024 CONCACAF W Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Dec 12, 2023.

1. tiaotnszn

tiaotnszn Member

Chicago Red Stars
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019

2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Rose hit the ball as soon as she got to it. First touch.

Alex was behind the defense and definitely "active." Ya, the Argie deflected the ball. They change the rule on this every year. Is the current interpretation that a deflection erases the pass and starts everything over? Or, does the play by the defender have to be intentional? I don't know.

Bottom line, we had a breakaway, Alex was offside. Again. Maybe we got lucky with the deflection. But, Alex is a friggin offside machine.

If you want to re-watch it, it starts at about 18:00 of the paramount replay stream.

kolabear repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said earlier in this thread, the W Gold Cup is an official continental tournament, meaning it's not friendlies but falls into a FIFA window with a mandatory player release (Mandatory release dates for the W Gold Cup are February 20-March 10).

kolabear, sitruc, CoachP365 and 3 others repped this.
  4. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    The ball never got to Morgan, and she didn't make any sort of play on it. That's never been offside regardless of intention by the defender. (And that was an intentional play by the defender.) Morgan's offside a lot like the majority of strikers who play like her are; I don't think she's "as usual" offside, but agree to disagree.

5. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I've seen her fantastic highlights; that hat-trick was absurd. My point is that I've not seen anything approaching that for PSG so far, and Albert's played a lot of minutes vs bottom half of the table D1 Arkema teams and vs lower league French opposition. She's been great as a whole for PSG, but from what I've seen so far, I don't think we can expect that kind of shooting/scoring at the professional level, at least not with consistency.

6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    You must be young. It used to be that if anyone was offside, it was offside. Periodt.

And, the definition of "actively offide" has waffled. Defenders were tracking her run, that has been "actively offside" in the past.

A 9 should be able to out run a CB. A 9 shouldn't have to be off to beat a CB to a through ball. She is offside an insanely high amount of times. And her offsides have taken away goals that others have scored for us.

JanBalk and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  7. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Okay? It's been at least five years with this current ruling. Did you not watch the last WWC; how many matches have you watched in the last five years?

"And her offsides have taken away goals that others have scored for us." I'm going to need you to go through them for me because no goal like that is coming to my mind right now. Did you criticize Smith like this on Williams' disallowed goal in the first match?

8. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    A 9 should be able to outrun a CB .A 9 shouldn't have to be off to beat a CB to a through ball.

Nah. cannot blanket agree here. Way too many factors. Its rarely a straight footrace. Body position, angles, pass weight, timing and so many other factors impact who "wins" There is a tendency here to overvalue foot speed. Its about timing, angles and position. It is rarely ever just about who is "faster".

cpthomas repped this.
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The anthems have finished.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  12. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    While the team looks to the future with youth, the backline is stuck in a center back combo of Abby and Becky from 2017.

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams exchanging hands/arms to the face on separate plays, but no cards yet.

So is Kilgore using what she thinks is is the team's preferred lineup?

14. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Na, no Germa for instance

kolabear repped this.
  15. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Has Dunn connected a pass yet from midfield?

ytrs repped this.
  16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yellow on Mexico for a tug on Coffey's shorts.

It's a bit frustrating to watch the US not really able to handle the press from Mexico, but credit to Mexico: they're playing pretty well.

PacmanJr_00 repped this.
  17. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :sick: this first half

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, true. Also that's good, because this lineup ain't it.

sitruc repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That was bad. Unfortunate. US now down 0-1.

20. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol uswnt players really let Mexico get 2v2 on the back line and Becky choked hard

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sauerbrunn doesn't do enough to clear the ball. Mexico lifts it up and over past Naeher and score. 0-1.

22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the first goal conceded by the USA in a CONCACAF tournament since the 2-1 World Cup qualifying loss to Mexico in November 2010.

blissett and TimB4Last repped this.
  23. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Slow pokie Saurbrun to blame there... Germa tracks that down or Davidson.

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, it wasn't really a speed thing. Sauerbrunn got to the ball first. She didn't manage to clear it successfully (or at least shield it away from the attacker until she got more help). She got the first touch on it even, but basically cleared it into the Mexican player. It was bad decision making more than a speed issue.

25. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I watch pretty much every uswnt match, but no, I did not watch the match against DR. I was skiing.

Before the wwc, I posted that it would be an interesting question whether Morgan scored more goals or had more of her teammates goals called back for her (Morgan) being offside. It was a 1-1 tie, iirc.