2024 CONCACAF W Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Dec 12, 2023.

1. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    I've never seen a player as offensively gifted as Smith (speed, finishing), completely unable to complete accurate pass/assist to her partner.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    WTF!? Bodies just down. Smith sandwiched and hopefully missed what could have been even worse. Not a call.

PacmanJr_00 repped this.
  3. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really enjoyed watching Colombia during the wwc. Can't say the same for tonight. Terrible display by them tonight.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And given the rest of this match you are surprised, why?

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Andrade is only 32? She has been around forever.

6. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Oh hell, here comes Lady Andrade…

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It is quite normal for any South American team, men's or women's, to get very chippy and dirty when they otherwise are playing poorly. The difference, this match, is that Colombia started off this match in the "thug" mode.
    Of course much the same can be said for CONCACAF.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Final

United States of America 3 Colombia 0

It wasn't quite a El Pibe blowout, but the US looked much better than Colombia to advance to the semis against Canada. Ice baths for everyone.

Ethan Frank, RalleeMonkey and lil_one repped this.
  9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw this, and thought of O'Hara and Rapinoe, too:

When I think of the current team, I'm sure Sonnett was happy to get into this one. I'm not sure who of the younger players is the kind of player who likes to get into a chippy game, but Shaw seemed like she didn't want to get subbed out.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semis set:

blissett, Ethan Frank and BostonRed repped this.
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An example from this weekend in Brazil (I cannot stop laughing at this video; it's so crazy! Notice the little moment at the end with another teammate pushing the injured player back on the field):

dams, blissett and lukephan repped this.
  12. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nighswonger had some great moments and we have needed a left back for what a decade?

On the flip side she was twice caught ball watching today…

Promise though…promise

alckz, ytrs, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  13. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Three of their starters are absent: Mayra Ramirez (Chelsea), Leicy Santos (Atletico Madrid) and Ana Maria Guzman (Bayern Munich) and there is huge gap in talent behind their 'perfect' starting eleven.

They knew they stand no chance, so they tried to derail USWNT with aggression. Didn't work and quite likely threw them off their own game.

Namdynamo and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We finally get the early match. I wonder whose ass we had to kiss to get that?

I have decided that, at my age, I do not much like west coast soccer matches. I REALLY NEED my beauty sleep.

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hayes was watching (and the match ended about 3 am UK time):

edcrocker and BostonRed repped this.
  16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so fast. CONCACAF flips the schedule to what was originally planned (presumably to give the home team the 2nd slot of the doubleheader...worse for those on the East Coast though):

sitruc, edcrocker and BostonRed repped this.
  17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Is she offensively gifted? She is a high-volume shooter with plus speed. Plays head down most of the time and passing is the last option once she has exhausted all "me first " options. Has not changed much since she was young! That is probably why she is not that good at consistently finding team mates! Not her game.

CoachP365, lukephan and Namdynamo repped this.
  18. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Assisting is part of offensive game, so you're right. I should rather say she has great offensive physical qualities, impaired with mediocre mental game of positioning, spacing and antcipating partners movement.

Number007 repped this.
  19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Rodman's dad did not raise her. He is a deadbeat dad.

20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I am making an assumption that the referee was slow to use cards because she knew the consequences of a single yellow to many players in this game. A second yellow in the tournament meant you sit out the semifinal game. There were 6 Colombians on a yellow heading into the game, and I believe at least two US players, including Shaw. Then Rodman picked up a yellow and was very lucky she did not get a second on two occasions. The referee knew she had already given Rodman one. So we cannot really complain.

dams repped this.
  21. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    From youth on up, she has played with plus talent on HER team, so for the most part it has been overlooked. The more you see her vs equivalent competition, the bigger an issue it is. Unfortunately, to get the best of her, you have to be willing to let her try and make a lot of 1 vs 2+ plays. when/if she converts enough of them it draws ooohs and aahs from people, but its low percentage soccer that will get found out and eventually team mates stop moving off the ball becasue they dont think they will get it back.

Either she needs to adjust or the team needs to accept it for what it is. Its not a new phenomenon

lukephan repped this.
  22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I didn't say he did. But, I'd be surprised if they had no contact. She grew up in Newport Beach. DR has lived in NB for at least 20 years. I'm sure they've had phone calls. As far as being a "dead beat" do you know that Dennis hasn't made support payments? I'd like to see some support for that assertion.

23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That is much too bad, for me at least. I was REALLY looking forward to watching a match I cared about at a moderately early hour.
    A 22:15 start is not the end of the world, I probably would have stayed up to watch the other semi anyway but I also could have delayed watching, on Paramount, and used the replays they always have after a few hours. I "could" also watch the USA matches delayed but I still have an emotional attachment to the USA team so delaying watching them is not easy at all.
    I guess I will survive, maybe. ;)

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.espn.com/espnw/story/_/id/34032358/future-american-soccer-arrived

ytrs repped this.
  25. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just never been impressed with her, especially in games against strong competition.