2024 Concacaf Champions Cup

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by cleazer, Dec 10, 2023.

1. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Columbus is the greatest team the world has ever seen…

Robbo Crewfan, Bill Archer and CybrSlydr repped this.
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever does start the pregame thread, one possible idea for the prop bet might include both games.

Something like: "The total number of all _______ across both games will be an even number (2, 4, 6, etc.) (worth 4 points.)"

Bookings, corner kicks, announced stoppage time minutes, goals, etc. It'd have to be worth more than two points. Increase the temptation and all that.

This may raise an issue of what to do for the prop of the second game, however.

3. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell yeah.

TrueCrew, Robbo Crewfan and Kryptonite repped this.
  4. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    FIFA 2025 Club World Cup spot Goes to both teams in the final or just the Champions?

Also does only the Champion AQ for next years CCC?

5. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    If the Crew win, it goes to the Crew. If a Liga MX team wins, it goes to Philly based on the team rankings. Only 2 teams from any country can participate in the club world cup. Not sure if there's an exception for the home country. Because the rumor is the winner of MLS cup or leagues cup will get the home country spot.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1 in Mexico City.

On to Pachuca for Leg 2. We need another draw with America going thru. Any but 0-0 would do.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  7. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's completely right.
    Monterrey has already qualified. If they win the last bid goes to the highest ranked non Liga Team (Philly) because of a rule that says an auto bid can't go to a country that already has 2 bids.(Which Mexico has in Monterrey and Leon)

But if any of the other three (Columbus, America, Pachuca) win they qualify for winning the tournament.

Concacaf Champions
    2021 - Leon
    2022 - Seattle
    2023 - Monterrey
    2024 - gets last bid unless Monterrey.

Paul171121 and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. I just love not having to figure this shit out for myself. Just come around here and someone else has done the heavy lifting.

Muchas gracias.

9. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #409 GoCrew1996, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    The above info is right - from Fifa's website:

"
    • A cap of two clubs per country will be applied to the access list with an exception in cases where more than two clubs from the same country win the confederation’s premier club competition over the four-year period.
      "

TyphonInc repped this.
  10. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Well
    There is one more bid for MLS but it didn’t specify if it would be for MLS champion or Leauges cup ( waiting on Miami perhaps )

anyone know why or how that is ?

CONCACAF ordinarily will have four slots, but avails of an extra one in 2025 due to hosting duties.

11. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Host Country (USA) gets to have one slot. The Host country is allowed to determine how they hand out the spot. MLS/USA Soccer has not stated how they are going to assign that host spot.

Conspiracy theories are MLS is working to make sure Miami and Messi get a spot. So, like Miami is leading the supporters' shield right now so they may say the Sheild leader on a certain date gets the last spot. Or Miami won Leagues Cup last year maybe they say that is who gets the spot. They may do a mini-tournament and give the winner the Host spot. No one knows, but I think they are waiting till Columbus wins (or not) Concacaf to see how they want to do this last spot.

Ball Kicker, TRUJDUB21 and Bill Archer repped this.
  12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I thought this was pure fantasy, but it's not. Infantino, Garber and Apple would do anything to get Messi onto that stage.

CybrSlydr, stanger and kgilbert78 repped this.
  13. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    Apple especially, they aren't dropping $1 billion on the rights without some assurances that Messi will be involved. Even if Miami goes ofer as I expect they will, MLS will find reason to give them that spot. Could be as simple as "our TV partner was given the choice." The Crew need to win CCC to get in.

TRUJDUB21, kgilbert78 and TyphonInc repped this.
  14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Previously on MLS:

Remember when they didn't announce the playoff seeding system until about two months until the end of the season?

I'm not surprised at all.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  15. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    I wouldn't rule out a neutral site or it still being in Columbus if the Crew go through. It's Concacaf, they have no reservations about making the rules up as they go to maximize revenue. Obviously if America goes through and has the better record, they'll have no issue putting the final at Azteca and selling 80,000 tickets. However, Pachuca's stadium is not much larger than LDC. It's a max of 30,000 seats, and it's not easy to get there. Traveling supporters and Concacaf reps have to fly into Mexico City and then take a bus for two hours. So a lot of those attendees would be local diehards who likely won't be able to afford premium pricing. I can easily see TPTB thinking, let's put it in California or Texas or Chicago (or even Mexico City) where we can sell more tickets. I could also see them just giving it to Columbus because 20,000 premium priced tickets is probably more revenue than 30,000 regularly priced tickets there. Sporting merit and rules only matter when they don't restrict money flowing into the slush fund.

soccerncbus and TKyle repped this.
  16. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    The Azteca also is undergoing renovations right now and isn't at capacity. The final is slated for the day of their election, so it could be moved.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF has already said there will be no neutral site.

The Final will be hosted by the team with the most points.

If a Mexican team is gonna host, they will seek a new date for the final.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  18. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And, to repeat what others have said, the Crew must win and America must go through in PKs for the final to be in Columbus.

TyphonInc and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  19. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Does it have to be PKs or would an America "win" in extra time count as a tie as well?

20. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    America just can’t advance with a win. So any draw above 1-1 where they go on away goals works too

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine how conflicted Don Garber is right now; hoping against hope for MLS to have an MLS team host the final and the knowledge that he'd have to come to Columbus for it.

22. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Don gave an interesting interview where it sounded like MLS's hopes were on the crew. Believe messi was injured at the time of the interview, so that might have influenced his comments

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  23. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    If June 2nd doesn’t work for the Liga Mx team we have a gm scheduled for July 1st already so I would suggest the Final should be Saturday June 8th

24. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Did anyone listen to Fernando Ortiz interview after the gm ? His answers were very similar to how Nancy thinks about the strategy and praised his players. I don’t believe the handshake question was asked to him. My daughter watched and translated it for me.

25. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    That's during the international break that begins June 3. It will not be any time after June 2. Would be moved up rather than moved later