2024 Concacaf Champions Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Jun 9, 2023.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in college football/basketball. Not as much in baseball anymore, but I was an NL over AL guy forever. Screw the DH!

I think that unless it is your teams' big rival, many fans generally get behind the teams from their league.

But I do not think ManU fans root for Liverpool or Timbers for Seattle.

superdave repped this.
  2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In continental competitions there's also a good selfish reason to root for your league: if your league does well, its coefficient goes up and it might get more places in the continental competition. And that in turn means your club has a better chance of winning one of those places.

NaBUru38, Paul Calixte and Chesco United repped this.
  3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always cheer for the Mexican team in the final unless it's Chivas or América.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF doesn't use coefficients like that.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not when I was watching in the 1970s and 1980s. The European Cup was for Champions only. I couldn't support Forest though.

Chesco United repped this.
  6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but I was thinking more generally -- UEFA, CAF, and AFC all use them in some form.

Chesco United and TrueCrew repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I’m pretty sure he was joking.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle will bring Freddie Ljungberg out of retirement and ace the whole competition.

9. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This concept of celebrating league wins came more from Mexican media and fans. When their teams win it's a win for their entire league. It was picked up by US fans and some media.. One team succes is the succes of the entire league. One team doing bad means the entire league is bad.

You don't see this in South America. Brazilians aren't celebrating how many Libertadores their league has won. In Argentina they don't celebrate Boca or River winning Continental titles unless you are a fan of those clubs. Same in Europe. In Spain those follow La Liga don't celebrate cause Real Madrid or Barcelona won UCL nor do they say how good La Liga is cause Madrid has won 14 UCL. It's always by club not by league.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true in England. Most people are usually happy to see an English team win and I bet most Germans are licking their lips at the prospect of an all BL final.

Pretty sure @feyenoordsoccerfan would love to see Ajax or PSV in the final.

harrylee773 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That is not true, Mexican fans don't root or celebrate other team victories. idk where you got this from but we would never cheer on for a rival team.

SiberianThunderT and jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Keyword "rival team". Maybe not America or Chivas fans but rest of Liga MX yes. Where do I get it from? The Meixican media say it. Fans all over social media say it. It's always the success of one team that speaks for all of the entire league. There are even some that put in the success of Liga MX all bundle up with the Mexican NT when it comes time to compare the Mexican NT and USMNT. This last one always cracks me up!

13. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've seen many comments on social media calling MLS fans weird for wanting any MLS team to win in CCC. But now everyone apparently does it except Liga MX fans because they'll never root for a rival team? Interesting!

14. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know two North Carolina graduates and basketball fans who both say they'd rather see Duke lose than see UNC win.

superdave and Chesco United repped this.
  15. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Don't put too much stock on futbol picante. Mexican media is the most yellow journalism you'll see, right up there with the Brits. No one roots for the league, at least not in mexico. Must be a Mex american thing.

Paul Calixte and superdave repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When an English team plays Johnny Foreigner they represent England. Unless of course they're your deadliest rivals. I don't know how it is in the rest of Europe, especially in countries where there are intense regional rivalries.

17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's a US vs Mexico thing. No one in Mexico is going to be rooting for Columbus to win CCC in case they make it to final vs Pachuca. I could see some rooting against America but even then they prefer a Mexican team win it and continue dominance in CCC. And it isn't a Mexican-American thing. Just go over many social media accounts that are Mexican and you won't see them rooting for an MLS team to win just because they don't want to see a Mexican team win that isn't their team.

18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Your example has nothing to do with International club soccer competitions.

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By far the most common preference for both MLS and Liga MX fans is not to care at all who wins between Columbus and Pachuca.

harrylee773 repped this.
  20. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Exactly. First and foremost why would I want Pachuca to win? I want MY club to win the trophy, if my team is out who cares after that.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Americans appear to be weird like that.

When Notts County get knocked out of the FA Cup I tend to stop watching the FA Cup.

But in international competitions I'll tend to have a bias towards a team from my country over teams from other countries.

In MLS v Liga MX its a case of trying to knock the Mexican fans off their high horse in the same way the USMNT has done that to the Mexican MNT.

For Liga MX fans it's a case of socking it to the man.

I bet if Columbus play Pachuca in the final the majority of MLS fans who care will support Columbus and the majority of Liga MX fans watching will be supporting Pachuca.

On the other hand Monterrey probably won't get much support from Club America fans and vice versa.

22. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You might not care but many in Mexico do care that Liga MX keep its dominance. They weren't supporting Seattle vs Pumas nor LAFC vs Leon and Tigres. And they certainly won't be hoping Columbus beats any Liga MX team if they make the final.

This is the way it is. I don't know why they pretend that in Mexico they only care about their team winning and if it isn't their team they would prefer no other Liga MX team win CCC. I have yet to see on social media from Mexican accounts (or those commenting on them) say that they preferred an MLS team like LAFC or Seattle win CCC over Pumas, Leon and Tigres. Not once did I see anything like that. Many Mexican YT channels too not once preferring an MLS team win over any Liga MX team in a CCC final.

They care no matter who it is as long as that team is from their league.

harrylee773 repped this.
  23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, most don't care at all. I'd estimate that a majority of MLS fans don't even follow the tournament outside of their team's participation.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will if MLS starts winning it.

Chesco United repped this.
  25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Weekend league results:

Leon - Monterrey 2:0
    Pumas UNAM - Club America 2:1
    Santos Laguna - Pachuca 0:2
    Columbus - Portland 2:2

With that result Rayados probably won’t be able to play the bench against Necaxa in the last regular season match between Columbus games. If they want to hold on to a top four position and the bye that it entails.

Paul Calixte repped this.