2024 Concacaf Champions Cup [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Dec 11, 2023.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Given how the teams matched up in Panama, this one shouldn't be a problem - regardless of how hot/cold. But just saying that makes me nervous.

But, I think the Revs are going to be very frustrated about what happened in DC and are going to impose their will on Independiente.

2. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    So frustrated that they'll delay a restart? And then make an ill-timed tackle?

squamuloselaggard repped this.
  3. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    I hope you are right. Philadelphia had a one goal lead entering last night and barely made it through, needing a goal in stoppage time and then surviving 2 shots hitting woodwork in the final minutes to make it through 6-5 on aggregate.

I don't know what happened with the players strike in Panama the announcer kept talking about last week, but a bit worried about tired legs with 3 games in 8 days and guys having to chase so much being down a man for 65 minutes Saturday

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with your wariness, Saprissa is one of the better known clubs in the CONCACAF region. That was always going to be a tough first match for Philly.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the CONCACAF bracket page, the winner of this round hosts next Wednesday, with the away leg on the 14th.

So the Revs, if they move forward, would be playing two games a week the first four weeks of the season. The Revs fifth league match of the year (hosting Chicago on March 23rd) would be the first game they play with an actual week in between games (well 6 days, but who's counting). If the Revs make it to the CCC Quarterfinals, they would have about a ten day break (after the Fire match) before they play the first leg of that in early April.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincy and Nashville both dominated leg 2 last night, despite heavily rotated lineups, each winning 4-0.

I think the Revs might rotate some (i.e. Panayotou could start), but I hope they take a page from last night and go for the throat.

This is the first time the Revs have hosted the 2nd leg (not including Cavaly's withdrawal last year) since... Joe Public.

Time to exorcise those ghosts from September 2008!

Feldspar, Steve_R and Medeiros repped this.
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #132 NFLPatriot, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, are there plans to celebrate Taylor Twellman's birthday tonight?

BrianLBI, pwykes and Feldspar repped this.
  9. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see them send out the A squad tonight. There are plenty of games to go in the regular season, let's see if they can win a trophy. Or at least come close.

10. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Does Vrioni start tonight? Wood's hurt.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can't play Sunday, so I would assume he starts tonight.

He owes his teammates, so hopefully he has a monster game (flashback to his Leagues Cup hat trick last summer).

rkupp repped this.
  12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby Wood Dealing With Knee Soreness
    Porter: "He probably is not going to be available for [Thursday’s] game but we’re hoping for Sunday that he will.”
    Seth Macomber
    theblazingmusket.com
    Feb 28, 2024

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    They've had 4 full days with no games - and only a quick flight back from DC, so I think they'll be rested enough.

And Kaye will be fresh and available - and maybe Kessler as well. Farrell will probably be back in and he's rested. Buck didn't see too many minutes in DC and neither did Harkes. And Esmir is a young pup, so tired prolly isn't in his vocabulary. And Vrioni should be pretty rested. :p

Another overlooked factor is that until Saturday night, these guys hadn't seen there homes in probably a month or so - that's pretty mentally fatiguing as well.

pwykes repped this.
  14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'll probably have an extra ticket, so if anyone is interested LMK - right at midfield line (though I think you'd be able to sit anywhere you want).

15. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are going to be a lot of unused tickets tonight! It's a miserable night for a game, and I think the attendance is going to be in the hundreds.

pwykes repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boeuf! Buncha candy-asses! Whaddayathink this is, Florida? :D

ktsd repped this.
  17. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think an 11-year-old's parents would arrange all that for him.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter Reaffirms Belief in Giacomo Vrioni
    Porter: "There will be a time when Giacomo finds a goal to win us the game, and I’m hoping it’s Thursday."
    Seth Macomber
    Feb 29, 2024

19. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice tight passing for a pretty goal

rkupp and BrianLBI repped this.
  20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge crowd of about 500. Not sure what they were thinking with those prices.

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take away from the first half. I like polster harkes better than polster kaye

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had high hopes for vrioni this year and it's still very early but I just don't think his heart is in it

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice team goal. Esmir is going to be a stud

24. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #149 BrianLBI, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    3-0. Ema on a very nice pass from Vironi. Oops. Questionable VAR ruling. Revs got a little CONCACAF’d on that one…

25. BAC2829

BAC2829 Member

Apr 15, 2023
    So obviously the quality of the competition should weigh into the analysis, but - Esmir was sure something. He came in for Gil, and the Revs actually looked better for it. That's about the highest praise possible for an attacking Revs player.

If Esmir keeps this up, he's going to give the Revs something they haven't since Tajon: A guy who makes s*** happen by running at defenses. He's got that mix of skill and cockiness where he sees a defense on their heels, and his first instinct is to take them on. And sure, it doesn't work out every time (just like it often didn't work out for Tajon), but the fact that there's a guy on the field trying it opens up so much space for everyone else.

Also, as someone who slammed Vrioni post-DC, I'd like to say I'm pretty pleased with his performance today. Not a great touch before the (absurd) yellow for simulation, but he was pretty electric in the second half, especially for that third goal. I still have concerns about his movement (he pulled up on one run where Esmir would have played him in behind beautifully), but maybe there's hope for him still...

tsb11, Feldspar, BERich and 4 others repped this.