2023 SheBelieves tournament

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Dec 9, 2022.

1. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Look at where the defender at the top is.

Time index 23:30

3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Part of a report from the Athletic about an exchange between Dunn and Vlatko. In reading this I am reminded of the advice given a young baseball player in the movie Bull Durham. Only say two things to the media. "I'm glad to be here and I hope I can help the team."

• Dunn, who currently plays as an outside back for the USWNT and as an attacking midfielder in the NWSL...said “I step into camp, and I feel like I lose a part of myself. I no longer get to be Crystal who scores goals, assists, is this attacking player. I step into an environment where I have to be world-class in a position that I don’t think is my best position. But I’ve owned it. I’ve made it my own, and I’ve tried to create it in my most authentic way.”
    • On Saturday, Andonovski told media he had not recently discussed Dunn’s position with her, but if she wanted to try and earn a spot in the midfield, she would be considered by the coaching staff. “As a left back she is world-class and probably one of the best left backs in the world. As a midfielder she has a pretty stiff competition in that position. So everybody has a choice. And then we make the decisions,” he said.
    • Dunn reinforced Saturday that she has a clear view of her role with the USWNT: “I step into this environment, I know exactly what my role is. I know my strengths. And it’s not at all to say like, ‘Hey, I am not happy.’ But I think it’s more so to say like, ‘This is how I feel internally at times,’ and it’s okay to express that. It doesn’t mean that I’m, you know, trying to cause havoc or a stir or anything like that. I think at the end of the day, it’s really just being authentic.”

4. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Uh, unless your suggesting Macario play the 6, no. Horan is NOT a good 6 by herself and Rose might could play it, but a waste of her play making attacking talents. Macario, for me, should be at the 9.

I wonder why Dunn was not given a shot at playing the 6... Seems like a good fit for her defensive prowess as well as her attacking chops.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ??? Looking at that clip it looks like she was definitely onside?? Different cultures different mores?

6. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Dunn is 5'-1, size does matter for the 6.
    A better question is if you are gonna play Sauerbrunn at center back and pair her with Girma or Cook then put the other at the 6. Both of them are better than Sullivan in many ways.

NCChiFan repped this.
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the Dunn interview article.

First of all, the interview was Monday, November 14, the day after the US beat Germany 2-1. That is three months ago. It is old news.

Second of all, I do not see anything wrong with what she said and I am sure her teammates have been well aware for years of what she spoke about. It is difficult playing mid-field for your club and in the back line for your national team. It makes it difficult to be your best at either position. But she acknowledged, it is what it is and she will give her all to be the best for club and country, playing different positions. And, as she says, she is the only player who must do that (although I think OHara may have been in a somewhat similar boat and possibly Purce and Huerta?). Her teammates know all of this. If any of them has a problem with her being honest about how hard it is, it is their problem, not hers. But I doubt any of them has a problem.

One of the things the top players have been trying to do is be more open and authentic publicly. I think this is good, especially so that young players can get a sense of what life really is like for elite players.

The references to the Thorns issues and the Yates report were part of setting the context since all of that information came out before the interview. The information about the improper medication issues did not come out until recently and is not part of the interview context.

Overall, it seems much ado about nothing.

sitruc repped this.
  8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Is it the Spain A Team? Have they sorted things out?

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Dang. Didn't she say she didn't make the WC squad b/c of race, too?

Didn't Huerta try to find a club that would play her in defense, so she could focus on that to make the NT? O'Hara, too? They both could have been attacking players for club.

It must suck to be going through what she's going through.

ytrs repped this.
  10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    For some years her stock answer when asked where she preferred to start was "on the field." She said that over and over, and that really ought to count as much or more as a single more detailed response.

Like many others, she has focused on what was needed more than what she wanted, and any team sports type should appreciate that.

The first practice week was always the most fun for me-- who are these new guys and what do they do good and bad? What weaknesses can I cover for, and who's going to provide the things I suck at? How we gonna mesh this mess together? You want me to try right guard even though I've always been a linebacker? Ok, sure, I'd rather get shivered on the field than shiver on the bench again.

11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The article was published February 17, 2023. With regard to Dunn's comments, I'm reminded of the advice given to a young baseball player in the movie Bull Durham. "You only say two things to the media. I'm glad to be here and I hope I can help the team."

ytrs repped this.
  12. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably good advice for a young player. From a premier level veteran, I prefer a lot more honesty.

kolabear repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the lineups & configurations for both teams
    United States vs. Japan - 19 February 2023 - Women Soccerway

4 out of the 5 that I pre tourney picked as Japan's best players are starting, the 5th, Endo is on the bench. Watch out for their mid, Hasegawa, is arguably their top player. Remember, England did beat Japan 4-0 in an friendly last fall

kolabear repped this.
  14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
  15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a few changes from the previous game. It seems like he is letting players know the competition for the starting lineup still is pretty wide open. It will be interesting to see what he does when we get to Brazil. It is a little scary, but probably good at this stage of the World Cup preparation.

kolabear repped this.
  16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there some sort of form that women who want to play for the national team fill out? One where they list which position they're applying for? Y'know, checkboxes with "Goalkeeper" besides it, and "Defender", "Midfielder", "Forward"?

Because no one else besides Crystal Dunn seems to have to apply for the job of forward or midfielder, the coach naturally looks at them as possible forwards and midfielders and sees if they will fit. If you have to "apply" to be a forward or midfielder, it means the coach doesn't see you as a forward or midfielder so what the hell are your chances of being evaluated as fairly as the others he is testing as forwards or midfielders?

Vlatko is being something of an ass about the whole thing. Yet of course he has people sticking up for him, for whatever...

I'm just reading black and white in print. What are we supposed to do when Vlatko said it? You're the one finding a way to read out of it in order to cover Vlatko's ass

lil_one and sitruc repped this.
  17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally have figured out this thread and it is hilarious!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    nope, it's the B squad's first loss. Guess Vilda(their coach) will go back to the negotiating table with the A squad. Dunno what he can bargain with since the original demands of the A’s was to see his butt fired!
    Soccerway site usually corrects everything by kick off

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  19. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the US, what's everybody's guess — Horan or Kristie Mewis as the #6?

ADD: for what it's worth, I think Sullivan as the #6 with Horan and K-Mew might be one of our stronger midfields, at least in a non-Lavelle rotation (or maybe even in comparison with a Lavelle midfield)

ytrs repped this.
  20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    since the soccerway graph got the #22 slightly lower place than the other two mids, than it be Mewis, but no need for an firm 6? Since Japan looking like an very defensive 5-back, setup

game on TNT

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Good start for Japan as the US was really struggling backed up, but then the US created a decent transition that was dangerous nearly 5 minutes in.

blissett repped this.
  23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    At about 10 mins in the US has looked more like #11 and Japan like #1.
    But things, most probably, will change.

The "size" difference is quite remarkable. It almost looks like the US is playing against children until you see one or two of the "kids" make one or more of "adults" look silly.

In some girl's teams I have coached I sometimes "threatened" the girls, when I felt they were playing too soft, with recruiting "Girlzilla" or "Queenkong" to help train them. I wonder if the USA has been recruiting with the idea, "We will NEVER be out physicaled."

Oh-oh. The US is zoning on corners. I really do not like playing zone on corners.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Swanson continues to score!

USA 1 Japan 0

Namdynamo, TimB4Last and NCChiFan repped this.
  25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That goal woke me up!

NCChiFan repped this.