2023 SheBelieves tournament

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Dec 9, 2022.

1. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    The last two USWNT games are on TNT.

kolabear repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So here's a question; if the Canadian women desire a divorce from their fed and wish to create their own representation to FIFA, could they? I mean as a structural matter, goodwill issues aside.

A fantastical question, I know, but it is a fantastical situation in the first place.

And here's another-- could the US Fed sue the Canadian for the lost revenues when the game doesn't happen?

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As much as I like watching Canada (both men and women) over preform on the soccer field I did some detailed reading when I saw this and I have decided that not only are the Canadian women correct with this move I also think that, if a replacement team is brought in, the USA should refuse to play the match to show support for Canada.

As I remember things, and in this case my old memory might be forgetting something important, Canada's women supported the USA when the USA women asked for/demanded equitable compensation.

I believe that Canadian soccer is simply making a money grab to support the lifestyles that the execs want to attain.

It is not the firs time a national organization attempted to steal money from the players and even the grass roots.

I do not like labor actions and I think many/most of them ask for more than the members deserve but, in this case, it seems that the players are right.

I do wonder if the Canadian men will support the action.

kolabear and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  6. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 jackdoggy, Feb 11, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    Dang it, I was really looking forward to the warm weather of Orlando and the accompanying hydration activities.

Maybeeeeeeeeeee, an inter squad scrimmage? Then split our squad into Two Teams (call in a few more players) for the Nashville and Dallas matches? Heaven, I'm in Heaven!!!!

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The times are VERY different now but during the 90s it was reported that often the best matches the USA played was inter squad scrimmages.

I hope somehow this gets settled and everything goes back to "normal" but, in reality I doubt it will happen. The press I have read seem to exude negativity but that could be just a knee jerk reaction and, possibly, we see the "She Believes Cup" as planed.
    The US Soccer web site still has the matches being played as scheduled but the people that maintain the web site do not seem to be the most efficient at keeping things current.

"Hope springs eternal."

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FanofFutbol, I just realized that the Carlin statement in the blurb at the bottom of your posts is itself stupid. If he had said half of people are stupider than the median stupid person, he would have been correct (for all practical purposes, although even that would not be precisely correct).:)

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Send in the lawyers:

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I seem to remember similar happenings around Canadian soccer several years ago. I do not remember exactly what happened or even what the resolution was but I do remember Charmaine Hooper was never seen even near the national team as a result and I think several more ladies also lost positions and/or playing time.

It was pretty poorly reported where I was at the time so I do not remember any real details.

kolabear repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Canadian players have returned to camp and will now play in the SheBelieves.

Namdynamo, NCChiFan and kolabear repped this.
  12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, the US and Canada players, when they play, will take some kind of joint action that calls out Canada Soccer.

kolabear repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    F*** the CSA. The fact that anyone can declare a strike to be "unlawful" in the first place makes the whole idea of striking pointless, and suing the player that you're already underpaying is just evil.

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In fact, declaring a strike "unlawful" takes us back to a XIX century's vibe (where it looks like most workers' rights, in general, are slowly but steadily going back). :(

kribi, SiberianThunderT and kolabear repped this.
  15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We didn't learn much from the victories over a depleted New Zealand team, so the She Believes tourney is going to be crucial for the future of a number of players. Those I believe whose chances of making the WC roster improved in the matches against New Zealand are Kornieck, Sanchez, Rodman, and Williams. I want Kornieck on the field for her head on corner kicks in a game in which you really, really need a goal. Sanchez was good at the 10, a good sub or alternative for Lavelle. Rodman is, well, Rodman -- potentially the best player on the team. Williams looked as speedy as ever.

The marginal players (that's unkind because they're all good) are Sonnett, Purce, Hatch, and K. Mewis. I see them only as possibly making the World Cup roster -- and not starters.

An interesting competition for starting fullback is developing between Dunn, Fox, and Huerta. It seems unlikely that Ertz, S. Mewis, and Davidson will be back for the World Cup. Big question: where does Macario fit in -- if she does? There are not many friendlies after She Believes (where she is not rostered) to decide that. Most likely in my opinion as an alternative to Alex Morgan at center forward or Rose Lavelle at the 10 -- with Lavelle going back to the 8 -- as was tried against New Zealand. We'll see whether Macario shows up big time in the few friendlies left before the WC.

Namdynamo and kolabear repped this.
  16. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Yea, it will be interesting to see Macario make the WC roster and who she replaces. Hatch or a midfielder. Time will tell.

Feel bad for the injured or retired. There are very capable women sitting on that bench.

17. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Sam Mewis has already announced she will not be back for the World Cup, and Vlatko essentially said that Ertz is out too. That is old news. How do you eliminate Davidson but not Macario? Davidson is already at SBC training, and Macario is not.

Exactly what did you see from Korniek or Sanchez at New Zealand? Sanchez showed she cannot finish (as usual). That is a consistent problem with her. All flash no result. Korniek was a lost puppy in the 6. He is clearly trying to find a position for her (he has tried her as a 9, 8, 10, and 6). She cannot find a position. If she makes the roster it will only be because of her height. Mewis is ten times more skilled, quick, tactical than Korniek. Korniek is technically quite raw for that level. She is clumsy. If she was not 6' tall she is not even considered.

Mewis has been in every camp since 2020. She is the third most capped midfielder in the mix for the World Cup. She is easily on the roster. He has cut her minutes to get the younger players some minutes, not because they are ahead of Mewis. He has said it himself that caps matter, and there are very few players with a lot of caps in the midfield:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

MIDFIELDERS (6):Lindsey Horan (Olympique Lyon, FRA; 123/26), Taylor Kornieck (San Diego Wave FC; 9/2), Rose Lavelle (OL Reign; 86/24), Kristie Mewis (NJ/NY Gotham FC; 47/7), Ashley Sanchez (Washington Spirit; 19/3), Andi Sullivan (Washington Spirit; 39/3)

Disapproving Hippo and NCChiFan repped this.
  18. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do the ratings tell us to expect in the She Believes Cup?
    The current FIFA ratings are:
    USA 2079
    Canada 2004
    Brazil 1983
    Japan 1912

The average rating of the USA's 3 opponents is 1966, so the average difference is, with rounding, 100 points. The homefield avantage is estimated at 100 points, so the average difference (accounting for homefield advantage) is 200 points.

In the Elo scale used in the ratings:
    100 point difference = (.64) expected win percentage (in a rough manner of speaking)
    200 points = (.76) expected win percentage
    300 points = (.85) expected win percentage.

And of course 0 point difference = (.50) expected win percentage.

Using, for simplicity's sake, a traditional scoring method of (win = 1 point; tie = 1/2 point; loss = 0 points), if the US gets 2 out of 3 points (.67), they underperform the expected results; 2 out of 3 would be closer to the expected result for a 100 point rating advantage (.64) instead of the (.76) result expected for a 200 point advantage

However, if they score 2.5 out of 3 points (2 wins + a tie), the result of (.833) over-performs the expected result and is closer to the expected results of (.85) for a 300 point advantage.

Of course, that's what happens with a small sample; and soccer being soccer, you have to apply an eye-test to the results because fluky results happen. But it gives us something to measure the results by. Winning all 3 games would really be a good result and is not indicated by the current ratings. In 3 games of course on home soil, it can happen but I think the US would have to be lucky to win all three

You can also analyze the expected results on goal difference (rather than simple win/loss/tie) and it's technically more accurate to do so. I'll save that for now and just note the general trend in the US ratings. Before the Olympics the US rating was 2197, a very lofty rating near 2200, a level which only the US and Germany have ever inhabited.

Since then, the USA rating has fallen more than 100 points, not surprising given their struggles at the Olympics and the 3 game losing steak near the end of last year. Their actual current level of performance may, of course be lower than their official rating of 2079 because the ratings lag behind as teams either get better or as they decline. How much worse? That's the question. I think the current rating is reasonably close, but maybe 2050-2060 is a good guess as to where they really are(?) For comparison, the ratings of the other top teams are
    2. Germany 2074
    3. Sweden 2058
    4. England 2053
    5. France 2026
    6. Canada 2004
    7. Spain 2000
    8. Netherlands 1997
    9. Brazil 1983

For the moment, I think the US is still one of the top 4 or 5 teams BUT the main point is they're now just part of a group of teams and no longer superior to them. As @SiberianThunderT has made a point of in the FIFA Ratings thread, there are 9 teams within 100 points of the top.* There's a lot more teams clustered within range of the top than have ever been

* For context, in a knockout round, FIFA estimates a team with a 100 point advantage would be expected to advance 62% of the time

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #44 hotjam2, Feb 16, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    This SBC is going to be ‘Damn if you do, damn if you don’t’ situations, cuz previously no team that won the SBC, went on to win the major world euro title in that same year, so if the US don’t win now, it might be an good thing, but unfortunately would probably loose the #1 ranking as well(unless of course the US can break the jinx!)
    A lot of people swear by FIFA’s rankings, but they’re the same folks(FIFA) that got Alex Morgan currently pegged as one of the three best players in the world, lol.
    Logistics aside, there was uproar from Lionesses fans as to why their NT is not #1; after all, last year they beat USA, Germany, Sweden & Netherlands(the last two by 4 goals) while on an 26 game winning streak. If money talks; they’re certainly been spending a ton of money on their NT & WSL league/ could add that they got the two players with highest transfer fees ever offered(Welch & Russo).
    I would of believed that their currently the real #1, but now disturbing reports that their midfield general, Fran Kirby, might have an indefinite, bum knee & aping with Mead could miss the WC, makes me feel not sure any more(Kirby is most likely irreplaceable)
    ———————————-
    Vlatko reports that Rose Lavelle will not play in the first game. Not sure if Canada is sending their very best(as their original, training camp list didn’t have Lawrence, Buchanan, Fleming on it)
    Brazil’s announced roster feels like they are sending their best/Japan’s roster hasn’t been posted as of yet(or at least at this forum. Their best players should be the NWSL’s Endo, Sugita, Nagano along with Man City’s Hagewasa & Roma’s Minami. If those didn’t come, it’s fair to say they might not be sending their best

kolabear repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fuka Nagano, actually, is no more a NWSL's player: she recently transferred to Liverpool. :)

21. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My opinion is that it is not as important for the U.S. to win the She Believes Cup as it is to test several players against tough competition: Thus my preferred lineup for US vs Canada.

GK: take your pick
    Def: Dunn, Girma, Cook, Huerta (Fox subs in for Dunn in second half.)
    MF: Sanchez, Horan, Kornieck. (Sullivan subs in for Kornieck.
    F: Swanson, Morgan, Williams (Hatch, Rodman, and Rapinoe sub in)

Mewis, Hatch, Rodman, Fox, Lavelle (if she's fit) , Sullivan get starts in game 2 of She Believes.

kolabear repped this.
  22. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    What’s the matter with my darling Rose ?

Just finished watching England win 4-0 over Korea. Lauren James is one to look out for this summer. A real dynamo she is.

kolabear repped this.
  23. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Excruciatingly boring first half Brazil/Japan. I don't think either team put a shot on goal. Let's hope for better.

24. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A better second half with Japan/Brazil. Both teams opened up a bit. 1-0 in favor of Brazil, but Japan had several good chances they couldn't convert. I didn't expect to see Marta, but she appeared about minute 68 -- and got the assist on Debinha's goal. She looks like she's gained a little weight, but played well.

25. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I need a stream for this match please.
    I thought Telemundo was Universo. it isn’t.