2023 Player Pool

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FawcettFan14, Jul 11, 2019.

1. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #1 FawcettFan14, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    We think of the 2019 USWNT as more youthful than the veteran-laden 2015 squad. It's true we had fewer old outliers like Rampone, Boxx, Wambach. But average age was about equal. There will be high turnover after the Olympics and before 2023. I expect the following players will be gone (though several could prove me wrong): Naeher, Harris, Sauerbrunn, Krieger, O'Hara, Long, Press, Rapinoe, Heath, McDonald, Lloyd. That's almost half the roster.

I think a pool of 40-50 players is reasonable to build for 2023. There is a backlog of NWSL talent that hasn't gotten much love from Jill Ellis. This is the demographic I'm most familiar with. I know a few youth team standouts but beyond them my knowledge is limited. The U-20 World Cup next year will be revealing. Possible player pool below, with 2023 ages in parentheses.

Goalkeepers
    Alyssa Naeher (35)
    Adrianna Franch (32)
    Aubrey Bledsoe (31)
    Jane Campbell (28)
    Casey Murphy (27)

Defenders
    Abby Dahlkemper (30)
    Tierna Davidson (24)
    Emily Sonnett (29)
    Crystal Dunn (31)
    Casey Short (32)
    Emily Menges (30)
    Megan Oyster (30)
    Arin Wright (30)
    Jaelene Hinkle (30)
    Sam Staab (26)
    Julia Ashley (26)
    Kaleigh Riehl (26)
    Tegan McGrady (25)
    Emily Fox (24)
    Kiara Pickett (24)

Midfielders
    Julie Ertz (31)
    Sam Mewis (30)
    Rose Lavelle (28)
    Morgan Brian (30)
    Andi Sullivan (27)
    Danielle Colaprico (30)
    Sofia Huerta (30)
    Dani Weatherholt (29)
    Morgan Andrews (28)
    Midge Purce (27)
    Haley Hanson (27)
    Jordan DiBiasi (26)
    Savannah DeMelo (25)
    Brianna Pinto (23)
    Jaelin Howell (23)
    Olivia Moultrie (17)

Forwards
    Alex Morgan (33)
    Lindsey Horan (29)
    Mallory Pugh (25)
    Lynn Williams (30)
    Kealia Ohai (31)
    Savannah McCaskill (26)
    Ashley Hatch (28)
    Hailie Mace (26)
    Ashley Sanchez (24)
    Sophia Smith (22)

jnielsen, Kevin625 and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In spite of the fact that I do not think that she is the best keeper to develop going forward I see no reason that Naeher would not be available in 2023. For a goalkeeper she will be no worse than at the top end of her prime (she will be what 35-37 ? ) and, in spite of what I see as her weaknesses, she clearly is not phased by pressure and her added experience would be a HUGE asset.

I think for this debate to be of any real interest Naeher must be included in the debate.

Bob Lamm and FawcettFan14 repped this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I highly doubt Morgan's playing style could let her keep to 33.

Really hope Morgan Brian could pick up her form.

4. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Agree. Edited the original post to include Naeher. I think there's enough talent behind her that it's unlikely she is the starter again. But she had a solid tournament and should not be cast aside yet.

Kevin625 repped this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No, most of the old keepers could not stay on stop in their 35+, and Naeher is not a tall keeper.

I really hope to see a young squad in 2023.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  6. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    It will be really interesting to see what happens with the forward line. Some current players will almost certainly be out of the picture (Rapinoe, Lloyd), but who knows whether Morgan, Press, and Heath will be going strong in four years. If all or most of these players retired or ineffective, Ellis (or whomever is in the seat) will have some hard decisions to make. Does the mantle pass to established pros like Williams, Hatch, McCaskill, and Ohai? Has the window snapped shut for them, with up-and-coming college and youth players stepping into frame? Do we change formation, to better accommodate our glut of terrific midfielders?

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Tobin Heath probably has the best chance to stand after 4 years based on her play style.

Semblance17 and stubifier repped this.
  8. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Personally I’d be really sad if Ertz, Mewis and Sauerbrunn were to retire - okay Becky’s an inevitable one but I’ve always been a fan of Ertz and became a fan of Sam Mewis this tournament :D

Question is if what if Rapinoe, Morgan and Heath want to continue, what will Ellis do then? Give them a place on the bench as with Lloyd? :unsure:

Kevin625 repped this.
  9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    You know, this takes care of itself in camps-- some people lose their spots to younger players who outplay them, and others outplay younger ones and hold their spots. It does and should sort itself out by quality of play, not fiat or fan or coach boredom.

(Assuming of course that nobody makes a hobby of driving drunk or fist fights with family members...)

10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Crystal did very well at LB this tournament, but I'd love to see her get a chance to get back up the field.

And, just because, Sydney will be 33.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would love to see Sydney Leroux come back!

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Does Morgan Brian still have chance to make a comeback? She said she had fought hard with injury in the past 2 years to get into the squad.

She will only be 30 in 2023.

13. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I hope so!

jnielsen repped this.
  14. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Connelly of ESpiN has certainty sat up and took notice of the Greatest Team in the Universe in the past couple days.
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wo...is-taking-shape-for-the-2023-womens-world-cup
    - - No one on either the men's or women's side, however, has ever pulled off a three-peat. Can the USWNT become the first? - -
    is he trying to be intriguing, is he serious, is he trying to be funny??????

depth.png
    A topic that has been beaten to death but kinda interesting graph format.

The location of the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup Host is set to be announced on June 25th.
    https://www.fifa.com/who-we-are/new...23tm-council-to-select-host-s-on-25-june-2020

As I count on my fingers and toes that's six days from today.

hotjam2 and TimB4Last repped this.
  15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    You know it works better to turn the woodchipper off before you try to clear the blockage...

16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So no love for college kids like Picket, Fox, Girma, Kornieck. Kim, Macario or Spaanstra?

or tweens Ballard & Moultrie(should 17 by 2023)

meantime #2 Germany 8 out of their 26 roster are 22 years & younger/started 3 teens in their recent win over England at Wembley

18. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The ESPN guys math seems a little off. Hailie Mace and Alana Cook will be over 31 by the 23 World Cup? I don't think so.

Kristie Mewis is still in the mix for the National team? I doubt that-- although who would have thought Allie Long would make the team and Ali Krieger would return?

I can think of two goalies who I think are more worthy candidates for the national team than Jane Cambell: Bledsoe and Murphy

Who's going to score goals for us in 2023? Most of our forwards may be ready for the rocking chair by then.

19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999

Wasn't sure where to put this. Japan drops its bid for the 2023 Cup leaving Australia and Colombia.

20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    map fl.jpg
    GO!
    GO!
    GO!
    GO!
    GO!