2023 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Other teams probably doing the same.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    uuhhh have you looked at other teams' rosters? They're almost entirely WWC-bound players in their starting XI attacks. NWSL starting XIs in general are largely depleted for international windows - that's why NWSL respecting international windows or not has always been a huge issue. HOU is far and away looking like the outlier here.

blissett repped this.
  3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Why not Angel FC besides Houston? You have Press, Sydney, Alyssa Thompson? Or Current with Sam Mewis, Kristen Hamilton or Gautrat? I mean they have the depth to handle some missing players. And I haven't even mentioned Portland.

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    With Ellen White retirement, Beth Mead’s ACL & current #1 striker, Russo, being so injury prone. I don’t see why Salmon wouldn’t make the English WC squad
    Wiegman’s turned into more cat n mouse/ruse-opponents-out of their-defenses & then quickly counter, Salmon’s lightning speed is made-to-order for that

Klingo3034 repped this.
  5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    #55 ytrs, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    Gotham is also pretty protected. The only sure US losses for the World Cup are K Mewis and O'Hara. Lynn Williams and Purce could make it, but likely only 1, not both, since they play the same position. They will also lose Ifeoma Onumonu (Nigeria).

Klingo3034 repped this.
  6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    breaking news; Courage just lost rising Japanese star Nagano to Liverpool. What the heck’s going on in NC?

7. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    She only played half a season with them. She was only signed in July through the 2022 season with an option for 2023.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Angel City, maybe. But your "other teams are probably doing the same" (emphasis added) implies it's a common strategy, when it's definitely not. Like for KC, Mewis and Gautrat are both actively in the USWNT player pool, and even in LA, Thompson might be breaking into the mix soon. As mentioned, NJ has KMew, Williams, Purce, and also Ife for Nigeria. That's a lot of turnover to manage when NTs call.

Depth isn't the issue I was getting at - consistency is. Most NWSL teams lose their offense during international windows. Portland in particular embodies what I was talking about - they're going to lose most of their starting lineup to international duty. Depth can help them deal with that, yes, but that's always going to be a gamble.

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #59 hotjam2, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    Here's just an 'rumour' but(none name mentioned)NWSL club going after arguably France's best player., Diani. Don't follow French soccer much accept that they got an despised NT coach & that several of their clubs have pulled back their finances(whch is the opposite what's about happening in the rest of Europe). Diani supposedly had an $400K an year contract with PSG(now don't want renew that expensive contract?) But i say never underestimate the French, if there's anybody that going to produce the female equivelant of Mbappe, it will be them!
    325579302_118717044440093_5338036255656415622_n.jpg

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Even with Gunny leaving, NWSL won't be without Icelandic representation: Svava is heading to the Big Apple

kolabear and Klingo3034 repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Some interesting international signings these past few days:
    DC sign French MF Juarena from Lyon
    NC sign Japanese MF Miura from NTV Beleza
    KC sign Swedish DF Glas from Bayern Munich
    HOU sign Venezuelan MF Olivieri from Monterrey

blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting thing I missed the other day:
    Amandine Henry is set to return to NWSL, this time with LA

Klingo3034, kolabear and blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    CHI acquire Sandra Starke from Wolfsburg on loan - that partnership is actually working out really well! (Much better than in did for ORL)

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Whoopi Whoopi do—-so far this season Starke got an whole 13 minutes of playing time in Bundesliga/360 mins for their B team in Div 2

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems possible that Ertz held off on signing with Angel City to see if Vlatko thought she would be on the USWNT roster after seeing her in camp and against Ireland. If he thought she had a realistic chance, then she would sign. She looked viable in her tryout, so now she will play with her club.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  21. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I thought the exact same thing.

CoachJon repped this.
  22. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly. My thought actually was that she was pitting a couple of teams against each other (Angel City and San Diego?) hoping for the best deal possible and perhaps wasn't getting what she wanted. Besides her own experience, her husband is also a professional, so she would know the ins-and-outs of getting the best deal in addition to any specific terms she'd want written into the contract (like, for example, a no-trade clause, such as O'Hara had added to her contract at Gotham, pointing to the fact that she'll retire there; with a one-year contract, we know Ertz didn't get that added, but she could have wanted something else specific, not just more money).

With Henry coming later, I'm not sure how much Angel City had to offer in allocation money. Maybe Angel City wasn't offering enough, but with the WC looming, Ertz just had to go ahead and sign. The one-year deal might also indicate she's hoping they'll sweeten the pot to keep her next year.

I mean, all of that makes sense to me, but of course it doesn't mean that's what happened.

Reign Man and CoachJon repped this.
  24. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Ertz did not care about money. She wanted to control the length of the contract, and make sure she got playing time at the 6. She also likely wanted the one year contract for flexibility for her family. Her husband signed a $31 million contract. They are just fine financially. But if he gets traded she did not want to be locked in. I am also not convinced she will play club beyond this season. She could retire after the world cup, or go another year for the Olympics. Depends how she does at the World Cup.

25. Siddhartha

Siddhartha Member

Leeds
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    IMO, I think this is the most likely scenario. Admittedly, it’s tough to know what her true motivations are, but Julie certainly appears to have different motivations than many other players.

I doubt soccer money is an issue at all.
    1) Zach has a huge contact
    2) If she makes the WC roster her potential income from the WC and marketing contracts will dwarf her NWSL contact
    3) AC provides a great platform to regain game fitness and also potentially foster those marketing possibilities. Julie and AC are short term match made in heaven.

I think she is looking for the best environment to play in, a team that can help her make the WC, and have future flexibility for family life.

ytrs and 2233soccer repped this.