2023 MLS Season

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Dec 13, 2022.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The 2023 regular season will start on February 25, 2023.
    The schedule has not been released yet but it should be 34 games.
    St. Louis City joins the league making 29 teams. We don't know for sure what the East/West alignment will be.
    The schedule should be announced soon.

The MLS/LigaMX Leagues Cup will be played from July 21 to August 19. There will be a break in the MLS regular season during that period. The Dynamo will have at least 2 games in that tournament.

TV coverage in 2023 will be primarily on Apple TV with some games available for free but all on their MLS Season Pass. Season ticket holders will get complimentary access to MLS Season Pass.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-...evisaunivision-tsn-rds-reach-multi-year-deals

Just announced, FOX Sports will be airing 34 regular season games plus 8 playoff games on their various channels but that will be simulcast of the Apple TV coverage. 15 of those games will air on broadcast FOX.

Univision will have some coverage of the Leagues Cup on their various channels including the Final but none of MLS regular or post-season. Fox Deportes will carry the FOX network league games in Spanish. Apple TV will also have Spanish alternative audio on their games.

7seven7 and Danwoods repped this.
  2. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

3. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
  4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Just want to say that if Miami does end up signing Messi to come to MLS in the summer window, ******** MLS for putting them on our home schedule in April.

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    so my count is 2 away games -- cincy and NER -- then an international break, then home games commence.

but if they don't get on the stick personnel wise i won't be bothered.

the first couple games allow us to dip toes in the water. the schedule then doesn't look soft until after memorial day and then after july 4th. i think the last couple months are fairly soft if we are still in contention. if not it won't matter.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #6 juvechelsea, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    if i were us and i was making tepid efforts to stay competitive in my state i would be campaigning with the league for a schedule where we play everyone once and then a handful twice. you do not want to emphasize rivalry games if you don't handle your rivals well. 3 austin and dallas games each are not helpful if we aren't giving the same level organizational effort they do. 1 is plenty, 2 is enough. 3 games with in state and not even seeing some opponents is absurd and not sporting integrity. is how i would explain it.

along the same lines as it wouldn't be beneficial to leeds or everton to play a rival/region heavy schedule rather than get some of the crap southern teams (bounremouth, soton) in equal doses as the schedule sends them strong nothern english manchester or liverpool sides.

likewise i would be pushing this in the direction of 3-4 divisions with us in a central division. look at a map and where the top table teams are located. now we would be in with dallas and austin but after that StL Nashville Minnesota KC Columbus Cincy, etc. see what i am saying? a 15 team conference is getting unwieldy. there are smaller whole first divisions in places like scotland.

i mean, the oilers were often crippled by being in the AFC central with pittsburgh and the ohio teams. despite recent struggles the AFC south is fairly easy by comparison. you then still have to try which is a separate problem. but when properly run we can be in the playoffs years in a row.

people can chuckle at the perceived weakness of looking around for ways to make us more competitive, but RSL got something for raines who wasn't even in their program anymore, and FCD shopped houston's academy and never gave us a thing. stuff is always going on and we can try to make it more fair and friendly or we can be the gravel the good teams run over. squeaky wheel gets the grease, and we should be encouraging the competition towards a concept that benefits us.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    along these lines, one can trace "AEG can't own 2 teams" to our downward spiral. i doubt we thought up that concern. suddenly politics made that seem important, we got sold, and here we are. we can play the game or keep getting played.

i am pretty sure the real idea was teams sick of it being us or LAG winning things. because in reality we were actually the red headed stepchild and i never saw anything like AEG coordinated the teams.

8. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
  9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The full Dynamo regular season:
    Times are CT.

Sat. 2/24 @ Cincinnati 6:30 pm

Sat. 3/4 @ New England 6:30 pm
    Sat. 3/18 Austin 7:30 pm
    Sat. 3/25 New York City FC 7:30 pm

Sat. 4/1 @ San Jose 9:30 pm
    Sat, 4/8 LA Galaxy 7:30 pm
    Sat. 4/15 @ NY Red Bulls 6:30 pm
    Sat. 4/22 Miami 7:30 pm
    Sat. 4/29 @ LAFC 9:30 pm

Sat. 5/6 Salt Lake 7:30 pm
    Sat. 5/13 Seattle 7:30 pm

Wed. 5/17 @ Minnesota 7:30 pm
    Sat. 5/20 @ Dallas 7:30 pm
    Sat. 5/27 Austin 7:30 pm
    Wed. 5/31 @ Vancouver 9:30 pm

Sat. 6/3 @ St. Louis 7:30 pm
    Sat. 6/10 LAFC 7:30 pm
    Wed. 6/21 San Jose 7:30 pm

Sat.6/24 @ Austin 7:30 pm

Sat. 7/1 @ Seattle 9:30 pm
    Sat. 7/8 Kansas City 7:30 pm
    Wed. 7/12 Minnesota 7:30 pm

Sat. 7/15 @ Colorado 8:30 pm

Sun. 8/20 Portland 7:30 pm
    Sat. 8/26 @ Salt Lake 8:30 pm
    Wed. 8/30 Columbus 7:30 pm

Sat. 9/2 @ LA Galaxy 9:30 pm
    Sat. 9/16 St. Louis 7:30 pm
    Wed. 9/20 Vancouver 7:30 pm

Sat. 9/23 @ Kansas City 7:30 pm
    Sat. 9/30 Dallas 7:30 pm

Wed. 10/4 @ Montreal 6:30 pm
    Sat. 10/7 Colorado 7:30 pm
    Sat. 10/21 @ Portland TBD

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Schedule breakdown:
    Games by Month:
    February - 1
    March - 3
    April - 5
    May - 6
    June - 4
    July - 4
    August - 3
    September - 5
    October - 3

Games by day of the week:

Wednesday - 7
    Saturday - 26
    Sunday - 1

Home games by day of the week:

Wednesday - 4
    Saturday - 12
    Sunday - 1

Opponents:
    Home - CAPS

East home: NYC, MIA, CLB
    East away: cin, ner, nyr, mtl
    Do not play: TOR, NSH, ATL, ORL, DCU, CLT, CHI, PHI

West:
    AUS, AUS, aus
    sje, SJE
    LAG, lag
    lax, LAX
    RSL, rsl
    SEA, sea
    min, MIN
    fcd, FCD
    van, VAN
    stl, STL
    SKC, skc
    cor, COR
    POR, por

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    doing something different for preseason would be good even if it turned out a mess. we are way too safe for a team this bad. what's the risk, we suck? already there.

fwiw MLS.com points out we were not chosen for the Olsen Bowl with DC in our schedule. 6 games with austin and dallas and none with our manager's ex. fire the writers.

12. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Only 2 games against Dallas

13. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    I don’t get why you’re waffling around. Just give up on the season already. This is a 12th place team that won’t get better. Check back in ‘24

*rey* repped this.
  14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    the literal analysis appears to be intended to make the point we play the west twice, except we don't, we play AUS thrice, which is not helpful, and NSH not at all, who we took to the cleaners. NSH is moving east.

i laid out how being in the west isn't helpful and playing in state rivals a ton isn't helpful, and you basically responded with checking my math and a systematized explanation rather than an assessment if that arrangement is any benefit to us, which was my point.

just look at a map of MLS to see my point. the only west coast team we beat with any regularity is SJ, and it's not any better mountain west.

strictly speaking we should be campaigning for either central or MLS2 in a pro/rel scheme.

15. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Alright I’ll bite, San Diego and Vegas are front runners for the #30 expansion slot. We should volunteer to be the team that goes East

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo have 5 conflicts with home Astros games:

Saturday, March 18
    Wednesday, June 21
    Saturday, July 8
    Sunday, August 20*
    Wednesday, September 20

*The Astros game is probably early in the afternoon while the Dynamo is at 7:30 pm

7seven7 and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  17. Renzi

Renzi Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 4, 2019
    The 3 Canadian clubs and the Dynamo are the only ones without a scheduled appearance on Fox or FS1 this year. Classic

18. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Good, the Dynamo have done nothing to earn national exposure. This is the best MLS related broadcast decision Fox has made in years.

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #19 juvechelsea, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-...evisaunivision-tsn-rds-reach-multi-year-deals

the subtle thing being that apple aside, canada has separate media rights, eg TSN, and i'm not even sure what their level of access to FS1 is. put differently, we are nonexistent within our own rights area. but they will be shown within theirs -- presumably.

is there a separate domestic spanish language deal or set of them because that was what passed for our national tv lately eg unimas. not sure how many english language cable sports games we were getting before now. couldn't have been many. close to zero my guess.

side point, surely they grasp the contradiction between apple pay-to-play/media irrelevance and their seeming push to chase casual fans. the mexican yeti might trip over a game and watch -- but we've been mostly paywalled and it sounds like aren't on the current english language network national schedules. which then if we are talking chasing casual fans how will they even find the dynamo to trip over. the yeti might know where to look but not care. the casual fan won't find us. to me they are picking a bad time to take the regular fan for granted, while providing a poor team, and spend their efforts chasing the yeti or the non-fan, who will start out inherently resisting.

that sounds like how to run a grocery -- increase market share by chasing people who shop whole foods or HEB -- not a soccer team. soccer team if you don't provide the soccer a massive chunk of the fan base will stop watching. which is probably true of groceries the same, but one presumes a grocery chain chasing the upmarket folks and organic buyers has a functioning cereal aisle, butcher/bakery, etc. but then maybe that's the point.

no, right now is precisely when you should be endeavoring to give a competent competitive product people might consider following behind a paywall. i think they aren't considering the feedback loop of tv coverage to fans showing up live. maybe you liked how the last game went. maybe you heard about the new acquisition and couldn't resist any more.

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I meant to look at the East rotation earlier but better late than never.

The combined totals for the last two years:

East home: CHI, CLT, MTL, NER, NYC, MIA, CLB
    East away: cin, ner, nyr, mtl, mia, dcu, orl, phi

So that's home-and-away against New England, Montreal, Miami but no games at all against Toronto or Atlanta.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i believe my original point was we might play austin or dallas as many as 5-6 times in 2 years but others not at all. people corrected whether dallas was precisely 5 or 6, but that or showing there are eastern teams we haven't played a regular game with in yeas proves rather than disproves that thesis. even our eastern schedule is hit and miss. buried beneath the lists you say at the end we played some teams twice, some once, some not at all. TFC, who has sucked lately, is one of the not at alls. so that's 3 points a game lost to the conference sorters and schedulemaker. now, i don't think it's as bad as the NFL -- where the schedule rotation from division to division can alter your success year to year -- but if we play teams as many as 2-3 times a season that might shape the outcome. or in the case of us vs Dallas 2021 suggest we were mismanaged.

my second point was normative, just a sense that we would benefit from being put back in the east or into a central division. i don't see any big payroll teams up the center of the country, and the second half of our run of success was as an east team. i also think if we're going to make no special competitive or payroll effort then we should encourage a pretty balanced schedule where we play everyone at least once, and then multiples of no more than 2. as it stands we will play austin 3 times again and some teams not at all. austin is trying. we're not. that just kicks our butt. why are we encouraging that other than ticket sales.

either that or we belong in MLS2. the telling feature of recent years has been the degree games just followed the form book. if we're only playing teams 16-and-down then the dynamo can compete.

last, if you read my posts the layer beneath that was an even broader critique of our inability to shape the competitive and rules environment. that we are the team that FCD can fleece our academy with no punishment or compensation but if we sign someone who isn't even coming direct from RSL we have to trade for the privilege. i assume this is because RSL squeaked where it got greased. i don't remember a public peep about quill or what FCD did. no screaming for picks, money, or demerits. it was all rumors and whispers. part of competing is also fending for yourself in the rules committee, or making a fuss when you're getting screwed.

i'm sure a lot of this is lack of effort or laziness. little too obvious to me so many we sign are "i know a guy." if we sign franco, he knows sebas. [did he actually set up sebas very much in. paraguay? not really, that the stats logs say.......did he set anyone up that much? not really......]

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point the Dynamo serve the league as being a team in a top 10 TV market that the league can claim they have "covered" for advertising and marketing purposes to national sponsors. That's about it.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    but if you're switching to a nationalized streaming model isn't a struggling big city team a letdown on show views, like some idiot talked you into a cowboy bebop live action reboot? in the streaming world we'd get canceled and replaced by some other show targeted at our market.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you still have gate revenue and sponsorship coverage plus whoever watches the Dynamo opponent. Its not a pure TV game play.

How the local team sponsorships work with the Apple TV deal, no idea how that is constructed. Based on the last few years of the commercials being exclusively team sponsors, have to think that the old model was sell team sponsorships which include commercials during the broadcast.

Setting all that aside, Dynamo clearly at the bottom of the list for MLS and any partners in terms of attractiveness of games to be on TV or featured.

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo have announced the preseason schedule:

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/new...pen-preseason-on-jan-8-at-houston-sports-park

Jan. 6-7: Players report
    Jan. 8: first practice

Jan. 30: team travels to Mexico City
    Feb. 1: closed door scrimmage against Toluca
    Feb. 4: closed door scrimmage against Tlaxacala
    Feb. 7: closed door scrimmage against UNAM Pumas

Feb. 10: travel to Florida
    Feb. 11: friendly with opponent TBA
    Feb. 15: friendly with opponent TBA

Feb. 18: friendly against FC Dallas in Houston, 7:30 pm