2023 Media Deal

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by midfielder467, Feb 11, 2021.

1. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Who with
    Platforms
    How Many Games

30 teams so 15 games a week over 34 weeks is 510 regular match games plus playoffs.

Plus the Women's league

Whats the minimum amount to receive.

Current Deal 90 million per year.....

Next Media Deal ????????

If you where Don...

2. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Personally I would try and broadcast all games.

Say there are between, MLS mens and womens and playoffs 900 games.

900 at an average price of say 333K is 300 million...

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Given what's happening in France, I don't think there is a minimum the league can set at this point. No one met their reserve price in the TV rights bidding., and MLS is in a worse position than Ligue 1. If the MLS top market is 333k per game, that's DAZN and ESPN+, maybe AWS territory. The real money is going to have to come in individual club streaming. Upside, on a prime time broadcast, MLS averaged just under 1 million viewers for the SKC-MU match. Downside, that sucks for a prime time viewership. My guess, the next deal is pretty similar to this one, maybe a smidge better, maybe a bit worse.

4. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    I am from Australia, and don't know the value of your league, however a league with maybe 600 games for sale across 30 teams should get more than 90 million currently.

My suggestion of 333K per game was a guess.

Interesting you suggest individual club streaming ... is that common place in the US..

This idea was never taken up in Australia, but a FTA channel in the early days offered to broadcast the A-League and absorb all costs and the production to be of a very high standard and the station and the league share advertising revenue it was never taken up but many often wonder if a revenue sharing model while not without risk has merit ...

We are currently also doing a media deal and rumors' to date have 2 games on Free To Air, All games on a Australia Streaming [Netflicks similar] channel, and one maybe two games and highlights on a local Telco. The local Telco has the EPL, most major European leagues Champions league, J-League, MLS, K-League .

12 Team league, 40 to 50 million is the suggested amount, down from 60 million pre Cov 19.

Will be interesting to see what the final figure is, and the broadcast platforms used, and how many games are broadcast.