News: 2023 - Media and (Apple)TV thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 29, 2023.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    thanks. I forgot to add I did try the app and couldn't login. But I just tried again and its working, so I will put that down to the password reset.

It appears Apple is potting down the radio broadcasts - volume on commercials is at same level as Apple announcers...still could be a local issue but needs to be addressed, shouldnt have to scramble for the remote to adjust sound every time there is a break.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Exactly how do you listen to DJ on the broadcast? Did not see an option for that during last evening’s match.

4. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you are watching the game, there is a button second to the right on the bottom that lets you switch between radio and their commentators...

upload_2023-2-26_8-36-27.png

5. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Thank you! For some reason it is only giving me an option for English. Not exactly sure why.

6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    So I watched parts of a few matches. I like the uniformity of the broadcasts/graphics/etc. The voices were ones we've heard for years. I watched a little tiny bit of the studio "whip around" show and it is abysmal. Too many people all trying to yuk it up and outdo each other.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    This doesn't do justice to how bad it was. It felt like a bunch of morning drive time radio DJs trying to appear charming [shudders].

The broadcasts themselves were great from what I saw.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  8. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    The 360 reminded me a lot of the NHL whip around shows. More fill airtime with fun inside jokes and occasional insights on matches while waiting for stuff to happen in the matches like goals or big saves. It is purely entertainment in between those moments. It is also a lot of airtime to fill - four hours or more. The question I have is how they will be able to keep up the banter and anecdotes over time or will they rely on having new hosts every week.

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    This is the first night of a freeform show that hasn't been done before. It is unsurprising that it was all over the place.

sitruc repped this.
  10. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The concept of MLS 360 was sorely needed. It does need some polish though. Awkward camera shots, commercials during gameplay, score ticker taking over half of the TV space. I'd imagine it will improve over time but so far I'm satisfied over the Apple TV/MLS production.

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I'm a bit curious if they stick with the lounge chair "we are in your living room" feel or if they try out the table "we are more serious" approach.

12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, other than Twellman, can they supply some talent to give us a reason to watch it again? If I wanted to see a bunch of dumbshits trying to make themselves seem charismatic and entertaining when they're decidedly not, I'd go hang out in MLS N&A.

Winoman and Daniel le Rouge2 repped this.
  13. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count your lucky stars Shep Messing wasn't in the studio this time.

14. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Oh, then we could hear about all the drunken debauchery that was NASL...

And get the imagery of naked Shep...

15. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    That is probably a yellow card violation...

song219, griffin1108, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Card! :mad:

:D

sitruc, griffin1108 and revelation repped this.
  17. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of it was certainly awkward but "abysmal" seems way too harsh to me. I kept of the whip around show on in the background for a couple hours after the DCU game. Some it was sort of lame but other parts were to me excellent and quite informative. I can certainly see how it can help create a league-wide view for fans (which will obviously help grow MLS). I am not surprised that they don't have a groove yet on on a show like that yet – the basic concept requires fluidity in the production and personal chemistry – but I think it'll get better. I will definitely tune in to it again.

Overall, I think for the first time out of the gate the Apple/MLS thing was quite good. I will subscribe.

Dan Kohner, sitruc, anotherfan and 3 others repped this.
  18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have a ridiculously high tolerance for that sort of thing.

I'm not proud of that fact.

19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the show will change as it finds its footing. hopefully. The P+ show and their group discussions are much more natural.

ImNumberTen and bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've also got a great short about the 2004 Eastern Conference Final at RFK. I was at the game and boy did that bring back some memories.

griffin1108 and GlennAA11 repped this.
  21. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So you can’t watch a replay with the radio broadcast option. Apple really needs to fix that!

ImNumberTen and Winoman repped this.
  22. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Not surprised. They don't own the rights for rebroadcast.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  23. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    so, have been watching the pre-game for 20 minutes, its 5 mins before startand there has not been one word about our game yet. ugh....

revelation repped this.
  24. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Well considering our feed was the Inter Miami match to start, perhaps MLS and Apple had no interest in showing DC...

25. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I was able to watch the game Saturday, though I know several folks had issues. Seems like it wasn't a great weekend for streaming services overall ;).

Anyway, this week the game clock displayed on screen was off by a couple minutes at kickoff and continued throughout the half. I wonder, is there no QA process for these games on AppleTV+? Or in other words, shouldn't someone at MLS/Apple be able to look in on each game, check to see what is being displayed, then report back with any errors to be corrected?

Having said that it was nice to be able to log in and watch DCU while away from home the past two weekends, one out of the country. Overall I'm modestly pleased with MLS Season Pass so far.