2023 Intercontinental WWC Playoffs

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even with calculating out the time for the substitutions, the incident with the goalkeeper( I don`t know why it took so long for VAR/referee as the goalkeeper needed less than 3 minutes treatment) and another injury there were more than 11 minutes added. Is FIFA finally punishing time wasting like running to the corner flag? :unsure:

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Paraguay-Chinese Taipei match tonight was wild.

* Chinese Taipei was coasting up 2 goals in the 80th.
    * Paraguay then scored in the 80th & 81st (a bad defensive error)
    * Go into ET tied 2-2.
    * Paraguay score in the 1st OT, but it's chalked off for offside.
    * At the start of the 2nd OT, before the ball has been kicked off, the Paraguay keeper goes down in incredible pain. They showed the video and she was just setting up her goal before the KO and then went down, with no obvious reason for injury. She looked really bad and keep squeezing her right hand, even after treatment. She stayed in the game and finished the match.
    * A Paraguay field player went down, but they had no more subs. They played with 10 for the rest of OT.
    * The ref called a PK on Paraguay in the 120th minute for a foul at the edge of the box. Chinese Taipei horribly skied the PK.
    * On to PKs. Chinese Taipei missed their 2nd. On the 4th round, the Paraguay GK saved the kick, but was judged off her line. The GK saved the retake.
    * Paraguay won the shootout 4-2.

3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I thought Paraguay got lucky with all the late errors and missed chances including PKs made by Taiwan. I favor Panama in their playoff finals against Paraguay.

blissett repped this.
  4. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Papua New Guinea is not beaten yet.

Pelefan repped this.
  5. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Now they might be. Panama doesn`t play well but they score nice goals. 2:0

SiberianThunderT, blissett and kolabear repped this.
  6. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No goal for Panama thanks to VAR but it won`t help PNG. Not dangerous at all in the second half.

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    blissett repped this.
  8. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Chinese Taipei switched off for a minute or two and lost the match they'd otherwise had comfortably won.

Officiating by ref Mukasanga is another story. I do feel for any team that will get her at WWC.
    My lasting impression about this ref is of a future FIFA administrator/politician who atm is using officiating as a stepping stone to further her career at FIFA.
    Imo she has no real feel for the game, her positioning during the match is often dubious, her calls (beyond errors) show lack of consistency which leads to the perception of double standards.
    By any means I woulnd't call her biased... rather poorly skilled. :unsure:

kolabear and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Paraguay was still more dominant I thought

10. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I really hope that Paraguay has the fuel reserves to go all the way in...
    Panama's win on some random goal would've been so... anticlimactic ;) ...no to mention of possibility of another loopsided results at WWC with them playin against France and Brazil.

11. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Chinese Taipei are such a bizarre team. Looked dominant but extremely vulnerable at the same time. Shame they are out.

13. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Going with Portugal, Haiti and Panama to win and qualify.

kribi and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  14. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    No I do think one of the Conmebol teams will make it through

15. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Who thinks this format should be reviewed for the next world cup?. Because the crowds are really small, and traveling thousands of miles to just lose one game is quite rough.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't think anyone was expecting large crowds here, so that's not a concern. Also, every team technically is getting two games in this format, even if friendlies account for some of them, so it's not all that different from the old home-and-away ties.

Importantly, unless they want to increase the playoff window to include a third matchday, it's going to stay as-is. Changing it while sticking to two matchdays would require the bring fewer teams involved, and FIFA doesn't do contractions.

17. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Chile or Paraguay?

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I am a little disappointed that Chinese Taipei is out... I was really hoping they would qualify this year and break their FIFA-record drought for women's teams that have already qualified at last once, far more than any other WNT

blissett repped this.
  19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I favor Chile along with Portugal and Panama.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    NZL 0-2 ARG

Definitely not a good look for hosts NZL, and I'm guessing there's not much hope for the second ARG match either. NZL is going to drop dangerously close to a 1700 rating after their three friendlies, though IDK if they will actually cross that threshold... And, interestingly, ARG started their three friendlies far enough below 1700 that they won't surpass that threshold either even after their three wins.

toad455 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    I do believe Chile will beat Haiti tomorrow. These is a large Chilean community in Auckland (NZ as a whole) that should get them over the line, probably like the Jamaica vs Haiti game in Concacaf W.

22. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    HAI pummeled SEN in the previous round. As a reward, its next match will be called by the Rwandan referee S.Mukansanga .

http://refereeingworld.blogspot.com/2023/02/fifa-womens-world-cup-2023-qualifiers_20.html

Poor HAI does not know that it lost its final match already. FIFA is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

23. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Wow Haiti vs Mexico repeat coming

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #74 Pelefan, Feb 21, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    FT Haiti 2-1 Chile
    Congrats to Haiti for making the FIFA Women's World Cup for the first time.

[​IMG]

ceezmad, blissett and BostonRed repped this.
  25. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Concacaf is strong because the USA is next door.