2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Ofori, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Apparently since we know that the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup will be expanded from 24 teams to 32 teams, I wonder how allocation will work for the Women's Game?

Since the hosts are still to be determined, it is between Australia/New Zealand joint bid, Colombia and Japan...but I think Australia/New Zealand will win the right to host

For me I think allocation would have to be similar to how the Men have done it for decades but for the women:

CONCACAF (3.5 spots)- Basically a Hex type format but for the Women

CAF (Africa)- (5 spots)- 3 African teams plus 2 others to make it 5

AFC (Asia)- (5 spots)- 4 Asian teams including host Australia

CONMEBOL (South America)- (4.5 spots)- usually would get 3 teams but now they get 4 potentially 5

OFC (Oceania)- (0.5 of a spot)- New Zealand gets automatic spot as other co host; whoever the remaining OFC team is goes directly into the inter continental playoff for the Women

UEFA (Europe)- (13 spots)- Europe would get 5 more spots

Basically equals up to 32 teams for the women and you can have your Inter continental playoffs for the women (AFC vs OFC) (CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL)

Basically giving the Women's World Cup more of a Men's World Cup type feel

2. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  3. amvrosio

amvrosio New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    México D. F.
    UEFA...........11
    ASIA...............6
    CONCACAF....5
    AFRICA..........4
    CONMEBOL...4
    OFC................1
    HOST..............1

4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I mean for me instead I would do

UEFA 12
    ASIA 5
    AFRICA 5
    CONMEBOL 4
    CONCACAF 4
    OFC 1
    HOST 1

5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    The bid is today officially as they will announce who will host the 2023 edition

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Australia and NZ will host 2023! :)

Paul Calixte repped this.
  7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I love it...Australia and New Zealand are co hosts...this is not only great for the Women's game but great for Women's football as a whole. The first time the tournament will be held by 32 teams and it only made sense that Australia/New Zealand won this right to host given the infrastructure

Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Pretty lucky - after UEFA all went for Colombia. I think if all Concacaf had voted that way the winner would have been different.

J

9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That's right. It would have been 18-17 for Colombia (probably 19-16 as I suspect the President would have known who was going to win and would have cast his vote accordingly).

10. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    But I can bet that Australia/New Zealand still will be a very watched WWC regardless but the time difference for some people is going to be a killer especially if you live in Europe or in the USA or Canada or in Africa

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup. Only 3 hour time difference b/w NZ and West coast of US/Canada in the north's winter, but unfortunately that expands to 5 hours in NZ's winter. I reckon most matches in NZ will be held in the afternoon because of the cold nights, so if we're lucky we might still get a few good matches kicking off around 6pm Pacific/9pm Eastern.

But yeah... alot of kick-offs will be between midnight and 6am for me. :(

First WC for either women or men that will be played in a true winter. Wellington's winters are no joke!
    But will make for a great trip, especially if you like skiing. I may go to this WC!

12. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Unless they end up playing in domed stadiums with heating especially like you said if it is during Aussie/Kiwi winter

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They don't have domed stadiums in NZ. Its a rugby nation.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA gets a higher percentage of teams in the World Cup than in the Women's World Cup and youth tournaments. That's in general without knowing for upcoming tournaments. I looked at the FIFA Rankings, and I thought UEFA would have more teams in the Men's top 32 than the Women's top 32, but I was wrong. UEFA has 19 of the Men's top 32 and 21 of the Women's top 32.

Regardless of how many teams Concacaf gets, I'd be shocked if they end with a Hex. For Women's World Cups that happened, they had a Women's Gold Cup that doubles as Women's World Cup Qualifying. I don't know if Concacaf has ever had Women's World Cup Qualifying done in double round-robin groups like all confederations do for some or all of Men's World Cup Qualifying. Teams don't want to spend money having Women end with a group that needs ten games. Even USA that has the best Women had a pay dispute between the Women's National Team and United States Soccer Federation (USSF), so based on that I don't think they would want the Women to play ten Hex games. It would reduce the opportunities to play top teams from other confederations. I have no way of knowing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the average annual revenue the Women's National Team makes for the USSF is higher than the revenue that many Women's National Teams have made in ten years or even their history. When I say "teams," I mean teams individually, not the combined revenue of many teams. There are many more countries that are competitive with the top few in Men's Soccer than in any other team sport.

15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Then how would you arrange FIFA Women's World Cup qualifying in 2023 and beyond

16. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Winters in Australia and New Zealand's north Island are pretty mild compared to where your id says your from. Apparently there is very good skiing on the South Island although I'm not into skiing so can't say from personal experience. Don't expect temperatures to drop below freezing in any of the proposed Australian venues. It may get to that level in Christchurch and Dunedin. Where I am about an hours drive south of Sydney its currently a chilly 12 degrees Celcius (54 Fahrenheit) at 10PM.

18. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Australia most likely will get 6 venues and New Zealand will get 4 venues to make up the 10 or does it have to be 12 venues because then in that case you can do 6-6

19. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Launceston would be the only Australian city likely to go below 0c but I can't see it making the cut.

20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Proposed venues so far:

Sydney, Australia- Stadium Australia, Sydney Football Stadium

Brisbane, Australia- Brisbane Stadium

Melbourne, Australia- Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

Newcastle Stadium (Newcastle, Australia)

Perth Oval (Perth, Australia)

Hindmarsh Stadium (Adelaide, Australia)

New Zealand venues

Christchurch- Christchurch Stadium
    Wellington- Wellington Regional Stadium
    Auckland- Eden Park
    Dunedin- Dunedin Stadium
    Hamilton- Waikato Stadium