News: 2023 Concacaf U-17 Championship Thread (Feb. 11-26 : Guatemala)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jun 23, 2022.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is ridiculously early—and we have a lot going on with the U-20s—but the qualifying stage draw was held today. 22 nations were divided into 4 groups, the group winners to join the top 16 nations in the final stage. Groups are as follows:

Group A: Bermuda, Guyana, Bahamas, Bonaire, Saint Martin, British Virgin Islands

Group B: Saint Lucia, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Martinique, Anguilla, US Virgin Islands

Group C: Dominican Republic, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Cayman Islands, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominica

Group D: Nicaragua, Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, Belize, Turks and Caicos Islands

Qualifying round robin group stage will be held between August 30 to September 8.

Source: https://www.concacaf.com/under-17s-...oups-for-2022-concacaf-men-s-u-17-qualifiers/

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Is there any information about the timing or hosting of the CONCACAF finals?

TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven’t seen anything yet, Dave. Other than that it will be in 2023.

4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I am all for rotating the hosting of this throughout the regions, but there needs to be field standards. The fields in Honduras -- which is not exactly a small soccer country for the region -- are pretty awful.

It's not just a youth issues, but CONCACAF were really serious about improving the region, one major focus would be improving the field level and refereeing level for the region.

Many countries can't afford widespread facilities, but any country hosting should be able to have 3-4 decent fields. We don't need hundred million dollar stadiums here but I shouldn't be able to see bumpy ground on TV.

ielag, STR1, Tom Collingsworth and 2 others repped this.
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much of the bumpy fields is because of so many games in a short time combined with seasonal rain? As hard as playing on worse fields are I think it really helps long term for these kids to get a taste of uncomfortable conditions and I imagine team bonding improves when isolated like this. Dual nats will have a hard time leaving this bunch.

adam tash and don Lamb repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Tough to tell. The fields looked pretty bad day one, and I'm not sure all of it is torn up or rains.

I think the challenge for CONCACAF is that while there is a certain romanticism to playing the game in rain or on local, crappy fields, etc., at some point, it absolutely holds back every nations in terms of soccer development, even including the team getting the extra advantage because of it.

I get that many of these nations will always be at a talent deficit to the US, but there's not a ton of incentive or ability to train more skilled players if your strategy for many or most games involves mucking it up, kicking people, etc.

It's one thing to play defensive; it's another to basically allow this level of crutch. It's not doing anyone any favors. It's one element that keeps the overall quality of play lower.

I hope it works out that way.

STR1 and Pegasus repped this.
  7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    And CONCACAF validates it and allows it by not calling fair games. If I see another stern hand movement by a CONCACAF Ref to deal with a legal human assault I'm going to vomit. It just comes down to fouling and rolling around when you get fouled. Its ugly and doesn't help any level of the sport in the region.

Master O and gogorath repped this.
  8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Right. I get that a lot of the island nations don't have the population to compete ... but like Guatemala has 17 million people! And yes, the economic development there is going to hold them back, but it's also not helping them to basically create a version of soccer that de-emphasizes skill and emphasizes shithousery.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qualifiers schedule has been released. The tournament will take place from August 30–September 8, 2022, in Bradenton, FL; Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and Managua, Nicaragua. Groups A and B will play in Florida, Group C in the DR, and Group D will play in Nicaragua.

Full match schedule is here. The 4 group winners will advance to the 2023 Concacaf U-17 Championship, joining the 16 automatic qualifiers. The CU17C will be played during the first quarter of 2023. More details will be announced at a later date.

https://www.concacaf.com/under-17s-men/article/2022-concacaf-u-17-qualifiers-schedule-confirmed/

Winoman, TimB4Last and gomichigan24 repped this.
  10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 teams will not be participating: St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and Grenada.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Vincent and the Grenadines sounds like a band. In fact there is a band just called St Vincent.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The most interesting part of the qualification tournament to see who gets to play at the full qualification tournament will be which dual-nats get called in, and provisionally cap-tied. I suspect there will once again be a number of them on these teams.

13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ckajMonet and Winoman repped this.
  14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No pressure, but this is the one remaining CONCACAF soccer championship of which we are not the current holders. This includes the Women's tournaments but not beach or futsal.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    To that end, worth noting that PR is in what would seem to be a winnable group, not that I really know anything:

Group B: Puerto Rico, Aruba, Martinique, Anguilla, US Virgin Islands​

https://www.concacaf.com/under-17s-men/article/2022-concacaf-u-17-qualifiers-schedule-confirmed/

The DR also has to battle through this competition, despite its U20 success, but they're hosting.

TheFalseNine, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official announcement from Concacaf:

https://www.concacaf.com/under-17s-...med-host-for-2023-concacaf-u-17-championship/

Tournament details

Dates: February 11 - 26, 2023

Host Cities and stadiums (2): Estadio Nacional Doroteo Guamuch Flores (Guatemala City. Guatemala) and Estadio Pensativo (Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala)

Nations participating in the group stage (16 and in ranking order): Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras, Canada, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Cuba, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala, Curacao, Suriname, Barbados, and Guadeloupe

Nations participating in the knockout stage (16): Four 2022 CU17Q winners and the top three teams in each of the 2023 CU17C group stage groups (12 teams).

Number of teams qualifying for the 2023 FU17WC: Semifinalist (four teams)

ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    gogorath, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicaragua has booked a place in the final. Other 3 spots are up for grabs. Last day of matches is tomorrow.

20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not positive, but I believe the 4 qualifiers are: Bermuda, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Nicaragua.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little over a month away from the start. Is the roster out yet? :p

Winoman repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #23 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    I believe it's preferable to ask it like "WHY ISN'T THE ROSTER OUT YET!?!?"

But... with that said, sometimes smaller associations announce rosters fairly early. Heck, for all I know some are already out. Provisional rosters were already due and the deadline for the final squads is coming up around the start of February I believe.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm sure there has been discussion of this elsewhere but I can't recall where -- have we seen streaming or TV information yet? (I will look too.)

25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing that I've seen, as of yet. Either officially or unofficially. If I remember right, the U-20 tournament was on VIX, maybe?, and I believe some of the earlier matches were on the CONCACAF YouTube channel.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.