Review: 2023 - Club Discussion and Analysis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 28, 2023.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Durkin is being traded to St. Louis for winger Jared Stroud, CB Lucas Bartlett, and $300k GAM.

sitruc, GumbyG, onefineesq and 4 others repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Lucky bastard, he's going to do REALLY well in that system.

PSURoss and fatbastard repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    half of DCU forum: Great, we got rid of that dead-weight Durkin

other half of forum: Wonderful, now we get to see Chris inevitably go become a star for another team.

I think any time you can get two pieces AND $$ for one piece, it can't be all bad. (assuming two said pieces are under contract)

TowsonDad, majspike, ImNumberTen and 5 others repped this.
  4. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    This is good business. I think he is a decent player, but nothing more. He makes too many mistakes for my liking. I wish him the best.

tallguy, JRHokie, TowsonDad and 3 others repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    At worst, this looks like upgrading roster depth and getting Garberbucks for a player that didn't have a set position going into 2024. Hope Durkin does well in St. Louis.

TowsonDad, GumbyG, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Wait wait wait. What happened.

At some point this season, you guys were championing Durkin. He scored a couple lucky goals and it must've ********ed with some people.

This winger has 6 goals in 58 appearances. So he'll fit in perfectly here. After looking these two guys up, I wonder if theyll be here after preseason.

7. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this move, sheds salary, opens up a young DP slot, 300k Gam, and removes the temptation to play Durkin.
    Players coming back are necessary roster filler as the team is so thin.

onefineesq repped this.
  8. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This gets us space and funny money. Liked Durkin and cursed him. He wasn't the guy, wasn't going to be the guy. So if he succeeds elsewhere, good on him.

Easy to like, works hard, good for at least on facepalm per game. We are better off in his absence with the roster spot, two players, and funny money.

9. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    This season was 5 in 31, which is just a bit off TKDP’s numbers. Could have promise, or just what happens when you are on a good team.

The CB looks like strictly a depth move.

Those two plus $300k is far more than I would have expected for Durkin. Hopefully he flourishes in StL!

GumbyG, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  10. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    Someone on Reddit pointed out we’re freeing up cap space too. Durkin’s U22 impact went to $250k next year, while we’re picking up $189k from those two: $103k (Stroud) + $86k (Bartlett)

TowsonDad, sitruc, John L and 2 others repped this.
  11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    After the last 2 seasons, there is no one on the roster, save Benteke and Klich (because they are DPs) that is untouchable. When the house is a mess, rip it back to the studs and rebuild.

12. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

onefineesq repped this.
  13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I am not kidding when I say we will make the playoffs next year if we continue doing what needs to be done. We will absolutely make the playoffs. I haven't even seen who we are acquiring but I love it. I'm going to have to consult a physician for this 4 week boner.

14. KasperOut

KasperOut Member

DC United
    United States
    Sep 24, 2023
    The only somewhat surprising moves were retaining Canouse and Ruan. I was a bit surprised to see Eric Davis let go, but probably just because I am comparing him to Santos.

Just three weeks ago, reading about these moves would have been dismissed as fanfic. Hope to keep this direction and momentum!

Winoman repped this.
  15. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    They have trade value just like Durkin apparently did. We could easily dump them and more.

KasperOut repped this.
  16. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Funny how happy everyone with these moves since Kasper is very much involved in making them....

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling we're gonna miss "Perpetually Pessimistic Shammy" faster than we might have expected.

revelation, DCU, Alejandro 10 and 3 others repped this.
  18. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Durkin, he's serviceable. I've seen enough progress that I wouldn't have minded holding on to him for another year or two, but I think we got a good deal for his potential.

Shout out to Colgate, my alma mater. Stroud looks like a solid depth piece who can hold it together through an actual starter's 8 week injury stretch. Basically quality for quality, aside from Durkin's youth. Getting a 6'3" CB with real minutes last season for no additional salary hit and $300K to boot? That's nice.

TowsonDad, bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yes, fair point. But Ted is 21 and this guy is 27. He should be in his prime. Id rather gamble on Ted and another academy player.

shammypants and GumbyG repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still have Ted. We are dumping Cap hit, freeing up a U22 spot, lowering the salary hit and getting two players for the price of one. None of that impacts TKDP.

KasperOut and GumbyG repped this.
  21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I didnt mean to imply I thought something was happening to Ted. Just that this Stroud guy is another average player were signing. 27 years old.

22. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodriguez and Dajome, and maybe Fletcher, are the only actual WFs on the roster, as far as I can tell. Stroud's more in that mold. Ted, Hopikns and probably Santos _can_ play out there. I'm sure Ted will put some time in outside. The depth chart is really thin in places, and frankly, Hopkins and Fletcher are good for some limited minutes, but I don't think they're "8 game bandaid" quality yet. That's a lot of youth already in that corps.

So really at this point, Rodriguez, Dajome, half-a-Ted and Stroud constitute the reasonable starting options for two positions with half-a-Santos, Fletcher and half-a-Hopkins in the running for late game minutes. Any thinner than that and I'm legit worried. I'm already worried about Dajome...

KasperOut repped this.
  23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “CF Montreal and D.C. United have been discussing a swap of right backs Aaron Herrera and Ruan, sources say. Probably some money involved as well. MLS trade window opens Monday morning. #dcu”

Goff on Threads.

edcalvi, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  24. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salary difference last year: Herrera $820k, Ruan $400k. That said, we also paid Najar $450k, so... we paid $850k for right back.

Herrera played just 19 MLS games (16 starts) last season. Not sure what the injury situation was/is. After the Leagues Cup game against us in late July, he made just two appearances -- a start (90 mins) on 8/20 & a sub appearance (10 mins) on 10/21.

All six of his caps for Guatemala took place in 2023. 2 friendlies before the Gold Cup, 4 games in the Gold Cup.

His starts the prior 4 years for RSL were 25, 29, 20, 31. He broke through in 2018, making 14 starts as a rookie. He was an RSL homegrown, joining their academy in 2012. He is from Las Cruces, NM.

In summer '22 RSL signed him to a contract extension through '24 with options for '25 & '26. He is 26 now; he'll turn 29 in the middle of the '26 season.

He was traded from RSL to Montreal last offseason. Montreal got him, RSL received $500k GAM, sell-on fee, 2023 international roster spot, 2023 MLS SuperDraft first-round pick.

GlennAA11, superdave, edcalvi and 2 others repped this.
  25. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    We could trade Ruan for three magic beans and I wouldnt care

PSURoss and griffin1108 repped this.